How do I find a van ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hologram8

Reaction score
say I wanted a 4 cylinder 4X4 van

no one has one ~ the dealerships don't sell them

how do I find what I want ~ can I order it somehow ?

You would need to build one from scratch. Or with no 4x4 https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/discontinued/nv200-compact-cargo.html

You should really have at least a 6 calendar if you want 4x4 in a van. Van is designed to carry weight and a 4x4 is also a heaver vehicle.

Likely ill be going with a Mercedes Sprinter in 4x4 in a 6 cylinder.

You could use magic like I did. The story is in the link below about White Cloud. I wanted a van that was very mechanically sound, but totally trashed out inside to bring the price way down. I used magic to draw exactly such a van to me. Then I met a man who had just put new tires on his van, rebuilt the transmission, and put in an engine he purchased from AutoZone. The inside was seriously trashed out -- with even both side windows busted out -- because he'd been using it to haul away anything people wanted to get rid of. He had even cut out the back all the way up to the roof of the high-top to get taller items to fit inside.

Right after doing all that, he was offered a high-paying job he couldn't refuse, but which required him to purchase a new van to impress their customers. So he offered me his current van for less than half of what he'd just paid for all those improvements. Of course I took it, WHAT A DEAL!! I had planned to totally convert the inside of whatever van I got anyway; so although neighbors shook their heads in dismay when I brought it home, I couldn't have been happier, for I was fulfilling my dream!

The next two months felt joyous as I created an interior perfect for me. I had my van! How could I not feel joyous? Even the windows were easy (and cheap) to replace with dark plexiglass from Amazon. Magic really does work, and beautifully so. And as I've said before, I'm now a truly "happy camper". ;)

Last edited:
First step, start looking for a customized vehicle instead of searching for a vehicle that has never been manufactured.

if you want to find that kind of customized 4 wheel drive stuff sign up for the overlander forum where offroading adventure is the daily subject matter.

and I though I was the only one who believed in magic

4X4 vans are common and tough in Russia ~ I see them all the time ~ I always wonder why it's not that way here

speaking of magic ~ I've been teleporting things accidentally

I've seen the vans ~ I know they exist ~ why are they so few ?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLejGZyKFltdbNtjJhLAHLVVxd0G4I8Qg3

Very big difference between Russia and America and what the people expect/want.

You gave requirements that simply don't match up well (4 cylinder, 4x4, Van). Even in the Video you liked there was only an old VW. Vans are designed to carry weight so they need some power, 4x4 are heavy components so you need some torque. 4 cylinders have come a long way but even with a Turbo its not the ideal cargo/Van off road engine.

I have a 4x4 4Runner, it has a 6 cylinder which is just enough power. It would be miserable as a 4 cylinder, let alone if it was a van with some weight in it.

The Ford Transit and Mercedes Sprinter (for 2023) are the only vans in the US that have AWD, and the Sprinter is the only full size van that has a 4cyl (gas or diesel). Prior Sprinters could be had with 4WD.

I would not buy a Mercedes though, and definitely not a newer (2006+) diesel.

I was set to buy a Sprinter 4WD a few years, but after doing research I nixed that idea. Got a Tundra instead. If off-road performance is a high priority for you, a pickup truck is usually the best place to start. The vans can be made off road capable, but it's a lot more work and $$$. In stock configuration they have wee tires, no ground clearance, and aren't as ruggedly built... besides not having 4WD.

If you can give us more info on what you are trying to achieve, you'll get better advice...

You could use magic like I did. The story is in the link below about White Cloud. I wanted a van that was very mechanically sound, but totally trashed out inside to bring the price way down. I used magic to draw exactly such a van to me. Then I met a man who had just put new tires on his van, rebuilt the transmission, and put in an engine he purchased from AutoZone. The inside was seriously trashed out -- with even both side windows busted out -- because he'd been using it to haul away anything people wanted to get rid of. He had even cut out the back all the way up to the roof of the high-top to get taller items to fit inside.

Right after doing all that, he was offered a high-paying job he couldn't refuse, but which required him to purchase a new van to impress their customers. So he offered me his current van for less than half of what he'd just paid for all those improvements. Of course I took it, WHAT A DEAL!! I had planned to totally convert the inside of whatever van I got anyway; so although neighbors shook their heads in dismay when I brought it home, I couldn't have been happier, for I was fulfilling my dream!

The next two months felt joyous as I created an interior perfect for me. I had my van! How could I not feel joyous? Even the windows were easy (and cheap) to replace with dark plexiglass from Amazon. Magic really does work, and beautifully so. And as I've said before, I'm now a truly "happy camper". ;)
WTH

First step, start looking for a customized vehicle instead of searching for a vehicle that has never been manufactured.

if you want to find that kind of customized 4 wheel drive stuff sign up for the overlander forum where offroading adventure is the daily subject matter.
I'm not interested in offroading ~ I wouldn't want to tear up my vehicle ~ I just want 4X4 just incase

Mercedes is too expensive for me

basically need something to sleep/live in in an emergency ~ maybe pull a small trailer with my belongings in it
other than that which would be an emergency or moving situation ~ I really don't drive at all ~ the vehicle would be parked in front of my apartment

the reason I want a four cylinder is because of money spent on fuel

thanks for pointing out the other forum

basically need something to sleep/live in in an emergency ~ maybe pull a small trailer with my belongings in it
other than that which would be an emergency or moving situation ~ I really don't drive at all ~ the vehicle would be parked in front of my apartment
the reason I want a four cylinder is because of money spent on fuel

Doesn't sound like you'll be spending money on fuel if you don't drive... 🤔

What is the nature of the emergency you are planning for? Is this a very temporary "just in case" scenario? What can you afford?

Doesn't sound like you'll be spending money on fuel if you don't drive... 🤔

What is the nature of the emergency you are planning for? Is this a very temporary "just in case" scenario? What can you afford?
anything ~ unexpected

I do drive some in my 4 cylinder and it costs a lot of money

I guess I could get a trailer hookup installed on the car ~ If I had my stuff in a trailer there would be room to sleep in the car

lets hope it never comes to that

What car? It might not be able to tow very much, but I like the idea of a trailer vs a dedicated vehicle. You could fix up the trailer to have sleeping and storage space both.

The Astro/Safari platform has all wheel drive and is very capable. Too bad they haven't been built since 2005. I owned three over the years and liked them all.

You're going to find that there aren't any small vans with real four wheel drive. The Tracker/Vitara platform, made by Suzuki, has 4WD. The four doors may be big enough to sleep in. You'd have to use roof racks or roof pods or maybe a trailer too.

What car? It might not be able to tow very much, but I like the idea of a trailer vs a dedicated vehicle. You could fix up the trailer to have sleeping and storage space both.
I would rather have a van than a car ~ I can spend thousands of dollars fixing a car that I don't want or I can spend thousands of dollars on a van instead ~ and then spend the rest of my life putting money into the van instead of a car

my car has room to sleep in