How do I deal with fear of breakdowns?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Isn't that the young handsome guy that gets a new pretty girl to travel with him every so many hundred miles? "

"Gas, grass or ass -- nobody rides for free!" Saw it on the right-side window of a van in a rest area, circa 1973.

When I worked as a roadside assistant I carried a breaker bar, set of 12 point impact sockets and a 3 foot piece of pipe for extra torque. Never had trouble with stubborn lug nuts. The post for a reflective vest is a good idead too. Nothing scarier than changing a tire at night on a busy interstate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

TrainChaser said:
"Isn't that the young handsome guy that gets a new pretty girl to travel with him every so many hundred miles? "

"Gas, grass or ass -- nobody rides for free!"  Saw it on the right-side window of a van in a rest area, circa 1973.

I remember that one!!! Oh lord I am getting old....

It was common on Hogs when i was in my teens
Probably still is, but I don't live around Bikers these days

XFILE36 said:
This may be a little off topic, but I am new and am looking to get a van.  I plan on driving across country with my elderly sick cat.  I have the fear of breaking down in the middle of nowhere.  Any suggestions?

Hi,

I think you're just overthinking. :p

If you are worry of breakdowns like tire puncture, blow out etc. I would suggest you to get one TPMS for your system. Tire pressure monitoring system is good to have one since you will be notified every time your tire pressure is lower than recommended pressure.

I recommend you FOBO TPMS, it's good and reliable. Easy to use and I enjoy using it !

Why bother checking your pressure manually when you can get your pressure/temperature reading straight to your smartphone ?

HN

hazwan said:
Why bother checking your pressure manually when you can get your pressure/temperature reading straight to your smartphone ?

I don't have a smartphone, just a semi-smart flip phone, LOL

When are you planning on leaving?  Do you have your van yet?  I don't see in this thread if you are planning on buying an older van or a new one.  Have you thought about trading in your BMW?  I don't know what year it is but it probably won't increase it's worth to the buyer.

My insurance company offers roadside service for a very small fee.  You might check with you company.  I carry a breaker bar and the proper size 6 point socket socket for a lug wrench.  Doesn't take up much room and gives you more leverage.

Yes, I would trade my low miles car for a van.  I will be leaving soon, that's all I can say, depending on some variables.  I don't care the age of the van, just lower miles and good condition. I don't know what a breaker bar is or even how to change a tire.

XFILE36 said:
Yes, I would trade my low miles car for a van.  I will be leaving soon, that's all I can say, depending on some variables.  I don't care the age of the van, just lower miles and good condition.  I don't know what a breaker bar is or even how to change a tire.

A breaker bar is a handle for socket wrenches.  It's bigger and stronger than the ratchets which are normally used, and it's purpose is to break loose a stuck nut or bolt by brute strength.

If you're mildly curious, here are some pictures:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...prefix=breaker+bar,aps,141&crid=2AVWDVYABXG1C

heres what you do,,get a hammer,,a 32 ouncer augh to do it,,,,and when you feel the fear building up, step outside the vehicle and,,,,,HIT IT AS HARD AS YOU CAN,,,preferably a headlight,,,,,then get back in and continue driving,,,,you will be so mad you took my advice you will forget all about your fear of breakdowns,,,,,,and to think i give advice for free

XFILE36 said:
I don't have a smartphone, just a semi-smart flip phone, LOL

Ahh it is okay if you dont have it LOL. The FOBO Ultra comes with its In-car unit which provides all the readings (pressure, temperature)

It can be placed inside of the cabin/car so that it receives the signals directly from sensors.