How did you end up on the road, and why are you still here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mped in the RV and moved to Texas. I got a job here driving a School Bus, and was doing good until I passed out riding my bike back from work and broke my arm. I am currently living in my RV at my cousin place, Mooch docking LOLOLOLOL. After I get healed up I will be back on
Was living in NYC for the last 7 years. Covid wreaked havoc with my social connections and ability to go out and do pretty much anything.
I'm already a little bit antisocial. You give me a medical reason to avoid people, I'm going to run with it like a dog with a pork chop.
So there I was living in Brooklyn paying Brooklyn rent, Brooklyn grocery prices, Brooklyn utility costs, breathing nasty Brooklyn air.
But not reaping the benefits of living in a mega city. Instead I'm just sitting at home playing music and watching Netflix.
So why not put all the crap in storage and live in a van. Get out of the termite mound and breathe actual air for a while.
I did the math on it. After the initial cost, my monthly expenses are much lower, even after paying for gas, insurance and a data plan.
Have to admit, along the way I was confronted with how crappy my body had gotten after my serious bout with covid.
Just doing the work on converting my Transit had my right arm getting all screwed up with tendonitis. When that started to ease off 3 months later, then my back got screwy. So I have had to slow down my conversion process. Which means my van is only 30% there.
Insulated and house power. But no water, no shore connections for campgrounds. No internal galley yet. And the floor is only 85% covered.
Do I regret it?
Not after the Omicron wave!
All my friends in LA and NYC have caught it. Even my sister who works from home caught it somehow!
I'm out here in Pensacola Beach right now and staying the heck away from anybody, living my life!
Congratulations! When I moved out of my Blazer and into my van, it was still fitted out with a bunch of extra seats, lighting, etc. The only prep work I did was to remove the seats (including the passenger seat which is where the solar batteries are mounted) and tearing out every bit of plastic, cloth, and wood. All the rest of the work was done when possible, using battery powered tools. Possible meant having the money for materials, and a place to make noise.....

Working on it. Feeling old from moment to moment, but also found that in my mind I can still think like some one much younger. Just have to be practical about how fast I can walk/run. I still don't like shopping and I don't care if my shirt matches my sox.
I might shave, maybe not.
I have fallen 4 or 5 times over the past few weeks, but I still got up without breaking anything, well my pride maybe. No one saw me so I got away with it. I have taken to wearing long sleeved shirts and a hat so no one can see the bruises till they heal.
Now researching stuff needed to make my tow behind trailer more suitable for long term living. Another thing as you can see, I got this computer (lap top) and am learning how to use it better. Got it hooked to my phone. Ain't this great! In the past I usually wrote letters and mailed them. This IS better and faster as well.
I live at the end of the mail route so the mail lady only comes down here once in a while to being bills and junk mail.
I've been to the bank and had routine stuff paid automatically. No need to send checks each month.
Hired a geek guy at $100 bucks an hour to show me how much of this stuff works. He or she is coming back Monday next for my next lesson. The computer lingo is next up. What different terms are used and what they mean in my language.
So, anyway, It's zero outside. I'm in my trailer right now, Think I'll got take a nap. Hope to run into you one day, well not Run into you but cross paths some time.
Ken
Hi Ken. Hey as soon as you are familiar with browsing the internet, check out YouTube for free lessons on everything you need to know. $100 bucks an hour? He or she better be a PHD! With 50 years of experience I think I'm pretty knowledgeable, but I would blush charging that much. It's all on YouTube. I'm a Harley guy, been to Harley school in Phoenix and all that, and years ago I used to make side money rebuilding certain models of transmissions. Now, every step (and a few steps I didn't know about!) can be found in free videos. I followed along with one of them, and it was faultless. Just an example....

Was living in NYC for the last 7 years. Covid wreaked havoc with my social connections and ability to go out and do pretty much anything.
I'm already a little bit antisocial. You give me a medical reason to avoid people, I'm going to run with it like a dog with a pork chop.
So there I was living in Brooklyn paying Brooklyn rent, Brooklyn grocery prices, Brooklyn utility costs, breathing nasty Brooklyn air.
But not reaping the benefits of living in a mega city. Instead I'm just sitting at home playing music and watching Netflix.
So why not put all the crap in storage and live in a van. Get out of the termite mound and breathe actual air for a while.
I did the math on it. After the initial cost, my monthly expenses are much lower, even after paying for gas, insurance and a data plan.
Have to admit, along the way I was confronted with how crappy my body had gotten after my serious bout with covid.
Just doing the work on converting my Transit had my right arm getting all screwed up with tendonitis. When that started to ease off 3 months later, then my back got screwy. So I have had to slow down my conversion process. Which means my van is only 30% there.
Insulated and house power. But no water, no shore connections for campgrounds. No internal galley yet. And the floor is only 85% covered.
Do I regret it?
Not after the Omicron wave!
All my friends in LA and NYC have caught it. Even my sister who works from home caught it somehow!
I'm out here in Pensacola Beach right now and staying the heck away from anybody, living my life!
I like the way you put your thoughts into words that paints a picture. Of course over the years I've been to NYC more than many times, Also LA and all the places in between. Sometimes for a longer stay than I'd like. My thoughts even today are why anyone would choose to live like that if given an alternative, being constantly wary of other people, constantly conscious of threats that can getcha in the night.
I can understand though, familiar places. And the unknown is something only crazy people go to. Even Florida is crowded to my way of thinking.
Since I have traveled so much, and grew up in a town of 3 or 4 families separated by 1/4 mile or more, that was normal for me and yet today. My nearest neighbor is 1/3 mile one side and 1/2 mile the other. Even though I own my own home, It does not feel good any longer since my wife died. So like you, I need space and to be alone.
I'm not a recluse, just need to get over the ache a little at a time.
One day if you travel west, check out I-70 west of Denver for a place called Hanging lake, or a rest area called "No Name" or on US 50 for a place called "shoe tree" also called the "loneliest highway" while on your way to Reno, NV. Some day in south Texas along US 90 where judge Roy Bean held court called "langtry Tree". Still there.
All over in the west are free places to stay. Just take your time getting there. From time to time, others will pass by or possibly stop for a moment or a day or longer to conserve budget or make a meal or walk their dog. Huge spaces where you can be as close or as far away as you feel comfortable with. Soon the cramped space of NYC will fade into the distant past as a place to maybe visit, not to live.
Man it got cold here last night, Minus 4 this morning, I think I am hungry, lets see, I think steak and roasted potatoes sounds good, a little gravy on top and of course coffee.
Ken

Hi Ken, I too travel alone, am 65 and with a dog. I’m presently in AL. I feel your pain. Would be nice to meet up with likeminded people. I’m headed to Quartzsite tomorrow and still have my pass until April.
I can't call you by name, excuse me for that. Ya, The ache is still there but I'm learning to deal with it. Too cold here in Michigan where I live to work outside. I have a few things to finish up before leaving. I've got to get things loaded up in the trailer and pickup, you know cloths, dishes, pots and pans, bedding and so on. 4 below zero this morning so I stayed inside my bigger trailer. Tomorrow I plan on going to town and buying a new deep cycle battery for the new trailer. (maybe two of them) I've been using Chinese diesel heaters in my semi for many years and in this larger trailer for 2 years so am going to install one in the new trailer to conserve cost of heating when needed. The propane furnace uses too much fuel and battery to be practical for nomad style living.
Your comment about your age and your trip alone lifts my courage a big notch higher. Yes Yes Yes, meeting like minded people is what I am looking forward to.
The travel is a no brainer for me since I've done the long haul truck driver thing for over 60 years. The stopping part and being social with others and cooking and just living is going to take some training. I do very much like being by myself most of the time, but other people near by, maybe a cup of coffee and a chat from time to time is also nice. When I am alone, I can feel the sorrow without having to explain the un explainable, If my throat gets a lump, I can not speak, and don't wish to share with anyone, Other times, having company around gives me something else to pay attention to and for a time I don't feel lonesome for a while.
Thank you so much for sharing some time with me. For this moment, the lump went away.
Ken

Working on it. Feeling old from moment to moment, but also found that in my mind I can still think like some one much younger. Just have to be practical about how fast I can walk/run. I still don't like shopping and I don't care if my shirt matches my sox.
I have fallen 4 or 5 times over the past few weeks, but I still got up without breaking anything, well my pride maybe. No one saw me so I got away with it. I have taken to wearing long sleeved shirts and a hat so no one can see the bruises till they heal.
Now researching stuff needed to make my tow behind trailer more suitable for long term living. Another thing as you can see, I got this computer (lap top) and am learning how to use it better. Got it hooked to my phone. Ain't this great! In the past I usually wrote letters and mailed them. This IS better and faster as well.
I live at the end of the mail route so the mail lady only comes down here once in a while to being bills and junk mail.
I've been to the bank and had routine stuff paid automatically. No need to send checks each month.
Hired a geek guy at $100 bucks an hour to show me how much of this stuff works. He or she is coming back Monday next for my next lesson. The computer lingo is next up. What different terms are used and what they mean in my language.
So, anyway, It's zero outside. I'm in my trailer right now, Think I'll got take a nap. Hope to run into you one day, well not Run into you but cross paths some time.
Ken
Ken
First, I want to apologize for my final comments about not thinking like an old person. I was really addressing the general “you”, not you personally! We are all aging and battle with times of feeling old and tired, as well as the many physical signs, symptoms and results of that aging process. Actually, I greatly respect your willingness and effort to try to get out of your comfort zone and live more fully. You are still my senior by several years but I, too, have days when I feel old and just want to sit comfortably. I’ve learned a lot in my short time as a Nomad, but probably the most important is that it is not an easy life, but it can be a wonderful way to live, if even for a short time! Good luck, Ken! Use your energy and your resources carefully and enjoy your days! When you need to rest, rest. When you have the energy and motivation to move on, move on. These days are yours!

Hey, you are you, you talk how you want around me ok? The best way to get on my bad side is to mince around and try to impress me with fancy stuff full of hot air.
The fact is, I am old, I look old, and by golly, I feel really old some times.
How ever, even as I am, I can still look out for you and me. It would be a very bad idea to mess with me or you, my neighbor, when I am near.
My coffee just got done, wanna cup?
Ken

Hi Ken. Hey as soon as you are familiar with browsing the internet, check out YouTube for free lessons on everything you need to know. $100 bucks an hour? He or she better be a PHD! With 50 years of experience I think I'm pretty knowledgeable, but I would blush charging that much. It's all on YouTube. I'm a Harley guy, been to Harley school in Phoenix and all that, and years ago I used to make side money rebuilding certain models of transmissions. Now, every step (and a few steps I didn't know about!) can be found in free videos. I followed along with one of them, and it was faultless. Just an example....
I am some what of a motor cycle guy too. Bought a Kawasaki 1500 classic in 96. Have tow behind trailer for it. Spent many vacations over the years just poking around nooks and crannies across the northern tear of states. I don't mean weekend warriors stuff either, Minimum of a week, up to a month before work called me back. Never did much like the club/group thing. Looked into it one year. I found that I was not into sharing and getting into group drunks and just following along. I am my own leader. Me and mine remain mine alone and I don't want or need yours.
I do have a Harley springer, and a Honda. as well. All just taking up space in my garage now. I do bring them out from time to time, just to make sure they are all road ready (just in case I get a wild hair).
I did buy a 96 chevy 250 pickup which, I put a topper on it and still have it ready to roll,
Even though it looks terrible all rusty, The mechanicals are all perfect, runs great which I will use to pull my camper when I take off on my last nomad life's adventure, just as I have in earlier years. this time I won't return.
This time I will stop and examine rather than just look at where I am. When I meet some one new, I'll really try to hear and know their life's story, I'll never pass that way again.
I can talk-- but listening works better for me, not just hearing, but actually listening. Looking AND seeing AND understanding. I know that all of that will just fade onto the past but while am still awake, all those things will still be alive.
The little snippets that you have mentioned about Harleys brings a picture to mind of tools, microammeters and calipers and an eye for wear and sounds that you hear and see. Knowledge and judgment that can't be given away or written down. You are a wealthy man to my mind.
Ken

Aah, you're very sweet. Thanks for all the support but I was born in the 80s, I've traveled most of my life, served 5 years in the regular Army, worked as a paralegal, a CPA, and owned a newsletter business. My past has been hella crazy, wild, and chaotic but I wouldn't change any of it. Everybody just isn't meant to stay home and plant daisies. I've moved 15 times in 13 years, drank too much, drugged too much, married too many times, and when all of that finally got old, I bought a house and sat my behind down. Now it's 2 years later and I'm about to hit the road again - this time sober and alone so it's going to be an exciting, scary adventure. You seem like a really cool person with a poet's heart and I wish you only the best in your next adventure too.
As a bike, ex-biker club member, etc., I've had some of the same experiences. Married four times. DUI's are not fun, and waking up on top of your fallen-over motorcycle in a parking lot can get old. Not much experience with drugs, plenty paranoid without them <grin.> Just remember, you went through what you needed to go through to get to where you are. Don't be ashamed or proud. As the old saying goes, "Be humble, don't stumble." I wish you health and happiness, and the time to enjoy it.

I am some what of a motor cycle guy too. Bought a Kawasaki 1500 classic in 96. Have tow behind trailer for it. Spent many vacations over the years just poking around nooks and crannies across the northern tear of states. I don't mean weekend warriors stuff either, Minimum of a week, up to a month before work called me back. Never did much like the club/group thing. Looked into it one year. I found that I was not into sharing and getting into group drunks and just following along. I am my own leader. Me and mine remain mine alone and I don't want or need yours.
I do have a Harley springer, and a Honda. as well. All just taking up space in my garage now. I do bring them out from time to time, just to make sure they are all road ready (just in case I get a wild hair).
I did buy a 96 chevy 250 pickup which, I put a topper on it and still have it ready to roll,
Even though it looks terrible all rusty, The mechanicals are all perfect, runs great which I will use to pull my camper when I take off on my last nomad life's adventure, just as I have in earlier years. this time I won't return.
This time I will stop and examine rather than just look at where I am. When I meet some one new, I'll really try to hear and know their life's story, I'll never pass that way again.
I can talk-- but listening works better for me, not just hearing, but actually listening. Looking AND seeing AND understanding. I know that all of that will just fade onto the past but while am still awake, all those things will still be alive.
The little snippets that you have mentioned about Harleys brings a picture to mind of tools, microammeters and calipers and an eye for wear and sounds that you hear and see. Knowledge and judgment that can't be given away or written down. You are a wealthy man to my mind.
Ken
You'll never see a Harley outside a shrink's office......

My ride is a 1982 FXR with a few custom touches. Working on a trailer for it now.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 1
Got off my butt and moved into a van in July 2021. Almost 7 months full time Nomad living. It's still a struggle and a constant adjustment, but I was not going to do what I watched my grandparents and parents do: sit in a chair and wait to die. After being widowed 10-1/2 years ago, getting our sons to independent adulthood and running out of all savings and resources except SS, I started researching Tiny Home living which eventually led me to CheapRVliving.com. Then van life. Once I determined that I could do this, I purchased the best used van that I could and invested everything I could scrape together and the help of my still very young adult sons to get it liveable. I stealth/ urban camped for 6 weeks while the work continued, and hit the road bound for Nevada in late September. I've been learning to live the Nomad life ever since. Now, I am feeling more established and grounded and an beginning to think about heading back to the Midwest, or East/NE for the spring and summer months! Next winter is still undetermined. There are plenty of us retired, or just tired, "old" folks out here living without huge RV's and all the comforts of home! My personal opinion, if you don't want to just sit around being old, quit thinking like an "old" person, and get out there and live!
Thank you for sharing these thoughts! I cannot count the times I have told my husband that I do not want to just sit in my chair waiting to die!!! My exact words. I am making plans to start my Van life, unfortunately I have some life issues to go through before I can. In the meantime, I am still saving, planning, designing, and dreaming of better times!

As a bike, ex-biker club member, etc., I've had some of the same experiences. Married four times. DUI's are not fun, and waking up on top of your fallen-over motorcycle in a parking lot can get old. Not much experience with drugs, plenty paranoid without them <grin.> Just remember, you went through what you needed to go through to get to where you are. Don't be ashamed or proud. As the old saying goes, "Be humble, don't stumble." I wish you health and happiness, and the time to enjoy it.
Thanks Generous! My past amuses, amazes, and bewilders the freak out of me and I'm hella proud that I not only survived it, I've prospered past it. I wish you the very best also. See you down the road.

I'm a Harley guy,...

I am some what of a motor cycle guy too....I do have a Harley springer,...
Ken

My ride is a 1982 FXR with a few custom touches. Working on a trailer for it now.
Motorcycle confessions....

I was deeply involved long ago, rode a lot, and some back and forth from the midwest to Az a number of times, but got out of it in the late 80s. A few years ago the spark was reignited, I cant afford Knuckleheads, like I rode long ago, nor even Panheads, but came into a decent 84 Shovel. its slowly morphing into a somewhat older style, and may inherit a 1950 Panhead right engine case and STD Pan heads if I can find a set. Its also set up for a sidecar so i can take my dog, and in that form is part of my future seasonal nomadics plan.

I nomaded years ago because i simply loved being out in the hills, and it wasnt worth it to have a fixed house since i wasnt there most of the time. Now, again, it will be by choice, and to escape winter in the Rockies, though I may end up permanently relocating to Arizona at some point. The plan is north-central Arizona and the surrounding areas, some NM, some Utah, lots of back country, dirt roads, quiet places, small towns. Build a cargo trailer camper rig I can take the bike/sidecar in, and go find the silent places again.

1983, on my 47 Knuckle
modified image.jpg

The current adventure bike awaiting its turn
Front end 2.jpg

Front end 3.jpg

Got off my butt and moved into a van in July 2021. Almost 7 months full time Nomad living. It's still a struggle and a constant adjustment, but I was not going to do what I watched my grandparents and parents do: sit in a chair and wait to die. After being widowed 10-1/2 years ago, getting our sons to independent adulthood and running out of all savings and resources except SS, I started researching Tiny Home living which eventually led me to CheapRVliving.com. Then van life. Once I determined that I could do this, I purchased the best used van that I could and invested everything I could scrape together and the help of my still very young adult sons to get it liveable. I stealth/ urban camped for 6 weeks while the work continued, and hit the road bound for Nevada in late September. I've been learning to live the Nomad life ever since. Now, I am feeling more established and grounded and an beginning to think about heading back to the Midwest, or East/NE for the spring and summer months! Next winter is still undetermined. There are plenty of us retired, or just tired, "old" folks out here living without huge RV's and all the comforts of home! My personal opinion, if you don't want to just sit around being old, quit thinking like an "old" person, and get out there and live!
Ya see, I think getting out there and "just live" sounds great. Just live, I've done that Never considering that the just live days would end. So just live has to take on a new meaning. Been thinkin' for a while now. I'm still alive, that's a start, now what?
Here is what I've been thinking, Basics first. Shelter, and food. Oh ya, got to wear cloths of some kind. check. If I do nothing else, I'll fall asleep, so need a bed of some kind. Ok I have covered all of that. Ok the next thing is where do I do all of this living?
That's all taking place right here and now but I still feel dead or half dead, empty. Not physically dead, I don't know, it's just that the next minutes or hours or days are like a vacuum out there some where, just empty space.
So, I've decided that I'm going to run out into that empty space, see if I can fill a small place in it.
Also I've been thinking that there might be some one else out there doing the same. Even though no one can make me whole again, that sight may knock a chip off the empty. Maybe I can knock off a chip of their empty when I pass by.
No I am not looking for a relationship or a hookup, what ever that is. From what I do know about such things is personal sharing, which would feel like cheating to me. I'd never do that in a million years. Now sharing a sight with a neighbor, jointly complaining about the condition of the road or ditches, maybe the weather. Lending a tool and giving a hand to make a task doable or easier, Ya, I'd do that, Running an errand for a stranger, ya I'd do that. I pickup hitch hikers for a short time, ya I'd do that. Helping some one change a flat tire or lending some water for an over heated radiator, stuff like that.
Other times, I think I'd rather just enjoy and bask in aloneness and silence while re-living a past fond memory. Right now, right here the memories bring an ache inside so I need to do that somewhere else so the reminders are different and new. I have been forcing myself to think positive, I am tired of forcing, I want everything to be natural and automatic so I can smile again. New sights, new sounds, new smells, new people with new voices just like yours are my best bet
Ken

So I sold the house jumped in the RV and moved to Texas. I got a job here driving a School Bus, and was doing good until I passed out riding my bike back from work and broke my arm.
WHAT? When did that happen? Did I miss something? We have a good camp down in Scadden Wash now. Too bad you didn’t come this year. I hear a bunch at the campfire laughing like crazy.

I am living in my van because I am my own worst enemy, 😂 lol.
I am happy alone and at this point, by choice.

Decided to chase my dreams, so sold about everything including 20 acres next to Columbia River with a 2 story log house I built and bought 5 acres and small vineyard on an island in the Adriatic Sea off coast of Croatia 🇭🇷.
A true unspoiled paradise.
Sadly for me EU admission means all countries must have the same residence laws for Americans and things changed and I stayed and fought to stay until I didn't have much left to fight with.

Add to that Serbian GF stealing from me, lol ain't love great. I owned 5 more acres inside Olympia National Forest which I stupidly sold 7 years ago to neighbor heading back to Europe to be with her. Then I figure out her game but luckily I can live on the land still as part of the agreement of my selling him the land.
Then along comes COVID and he loses a 150k a year job and must sell the property... I now don't have cash to but it back because prices in 7 years here skyrocketed...

So... I did this to myself chasing dreams and bad girls.. It was fun while it lasted lol.

The ex NFL QB Bobby Lane said you should die and run out of money at the same time.. Good plan if you can make it happen. 😊

If I didn't have the dogs, one 15, one 10. I would be off seeing the world or living in Eastern Europe where my SSA check makes me a king, not living at poverty level.
Once the male Pit Bull has passed on, hopefully I will still be able to carry a pack and travel...

I have been in the van since last April... I am luckily in an area the law says hello are you OK and that's it. I don't move around on Govt land, same spot from April to December and nobody bothers me. Helps there are few others doing the same here so they don't seem interested in me. Actually still in same community I lived in. We have made it through the winter, really no issues and warm.

As for relationships... Good luck.
Now that's a convoluted story. Rags to riches and back to rags again. Good luck my friend.
Sounds like just maybe your inner judgment needs some tweaking. Going back to the familiar has not worked it seems. Your choice of women is a little off kilter. Better just steer clear. I'm taking my own advice. Oh I know It's a biological tendency to search out a female companion to share the days with. That's a two way street though. Both must have the same destination and dream of how to get there. Good luck with that.
We live in a "me first" era. 73
Ken

K
Ya see, I think getting out there and "just live" sounds great. Just live, I've done that Never considering that the just live days would end. So just live has to take on a new meaning. Been thinkin' for a while now. I'm still alive, that's a start, now what?
Here is what I've been thinking, Basics first. Shelter, and food. Oh ya, got to wear cloths of some kind. check. If I do nothing else, I'll fall asleep, so need a bed of some kind. Ok I have covered all of that. Ok the next thing is where do I do all of this living?
That's all taking place right here and now but I still feel dead or half dead, empty. Not physically dead, I don't know, it's just that the next minutes or hours or days are like a vacuum out there some where, just empty space.
So, I've decided that I'm going to run out into that empty space, see if I can fill a small place in it.
Also I've been thinking that there might be some one else out there doing the same. Even though no one can make me whole again, that sight may knock a chip off the empty. Maybe I can knock off a chip of their empty when I pass by.
No I am not looking for a relationship or a hookup, what ever that is. From what I do know about such things is personal sharing, which would feel like cheating to me. I'd never do that in a million years. Now sharing a sight with a neighbor, jointly complaining about the condition of the road or ditches, maybe the weather. Lending a tool and giving a hand to make a task doable or easier, Ya, I'd do that, Running an errand for a stranger, ya I'd do that. I pickup hitch hikers for a short time, ya I'd do that. Helping some one change a flat tire or lending some water for an over heated radiator, stuff like that.
Other times, I think I'd rather just enjoy and bask in aloneness and silence while re-living a past fond memory. Right now, right here the memories bring an ache inside so I need to do that somewhere else so the reminders are different and new. I have been forcing myself to think positive, I am tired of forcing, I want everything to be natural and automatic so I can smile again. New sights, new sounds, new smells, new people with new voices just like yours are my best bet
Ken
Ken you’d be surprised at how many old farts are out here living the life. You do have me by some years but I’ve met many, many as old as you are. Most of them are women out here having fun and being very happy. I met a man the other day who is 85 living in a Vardo and happy as a clam. I thought he was in his 60s as he’s looking great, happy and active. I’m in a camp of about 15 rigs or so. You will find groups and can live a great active life out here. I had to turn up my TV because they are all at the fire laughing so loud I couldn’t watch my program. There are tons of new friends waiting for you!

K

Ken you’d be surprised at how many old farts are out here living the life. You do have me by some years but I’ve met many, many as old as you are. Most of them are women out here having fun and being very happy. I met a man the other day who is 85 living in a Vardo and happy as a clam. I thought he was in his 60s as he’s looking great, happy and active. I’m in a camp of about 15 rigs or so. You will find groups and can live a great active life out here. I had to turn up my TV because they are all at the fire laughing so loud I couldn’t watch my program. There are tons of new friends waiting for you!

That's what I'm counting on, although I know nothing is cast in concrete. I might fit and It might take some time to relax around strangers. Right now I can't leave, snowed in.
I'll be there later, when things thaw out some. Then, I will follow along till I learn the ropes.
I have no plan on rushing into a crowd, kind of ease my way along. Learning how to live differently will be part of the fun. I have been living in my camper for over a year now so I have a handle on that part. Making new neighbors that are short term neighbors will be a big step for me. I am going to love stepping back and learning how to just move along, set up and tear down, store things for travel from unknown place to another unknown place will be enjoyable. No time to brood over what could have been. I want to be done with that.
Some time this spring or summer I will meet you guys. I'll be the rag tag old dummy that hasn't a clue. We will all laugh at me. I'll be struggling to do everything. won't know nothing about anything. The only thing I will do right is sleep and there may be some doubt about that.
Thank you so much for your message and encouragement. I needed that
Ken

By Spring most of us will be heading for cooler climes. I’m sure the HOWA Caravans will still be going however. I’ve never been a member of one but have visited several and everyone seems pretty darned happy. They are a great way to get started. Like all the gatherings people roll in to camp for awhile then some go in one direction and others in another. Somewhere down the line you will see most people again. A few of us in this group are talking about a trip down to Ajo in a few days. Some sit still while others have to roll. I want to roll more than my hubby so I don’t go near as much as I’d like to. But I do get out nearly daily and drive the trails and see the sites out in the desert.

We will be heading to KY in the Spring. If you ever get that way we do have a camping spot we share with nomads passing thru.

By Spring most of us will be heading for cooler climes. I’m sure the HOWA Caravans will still be going however. I’ve never been a member of one but have visited several and everyone seems pretty darned happy. They are a great way to get started. Like all the gatherings people roll in to camp for awhile then some go in one direction and others in another. Somewhere down the line you will see most people again. A few of us in this group are talking about a trip down to Ajo in a few days. Some sit still while others have to roll. I want to roll more than my hubby so I don’t go near as much as I’d like to. But I do get out nearly daily and drive the trails and see the sites out in the desert.

We will be heading to KY in the Spring. If you ever get that way we do have a camping spot we share with nomads passing thru.
Now there is something I can work with. I'm in Northern Michigan, -4 here now, brrrr.
Anyhow, As soon as is practical I'll be moving. Was sort of thinkin a little south then west to start, Kentucky is sort of South and on the way west if you think about it. Since I have no idea about any of this I'll keep in touch.
Chicago is not my favorite route. I'm not in love with Cincinnati either, too fast paced. Lexington at the right time of day I could deal with, Then of course Nashville and west through Memphis. Now Arkansas I can deal with. After that I'd be fine. Uncertain where I could stop for a day or two when tired. I'll play that by ear. I've made up my mind that I'm not going to run a race from place to place. Even if the seasoned travelers roar off into the sunset, easy does it is my plan. Might just do a lot of traveling at night. Probably save gas in the long run. I'll find out if that's a good Idea as I go along. As I drove my semi over the years, I found nights to be the best for getting from distant place to distant place, might still be true, maybe not.
More as I think about it.
Ken