How can I make money with my van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're any good at grammar and editing, I always suggest getting a proofreading certificate somewhere. They can be done pretty quickly (3-6 months) and there seems to be a huge need for them. I see posts on UpWork.com for them all the time. I'm considering it myself. Bright blessings to you ~ keep visualizing positive outcomes.

I've done courier work in the past. It paid okay, plus I got mileage reimbursement.
It was usually architecture plans, contracts, scripts, line art and other ephemera that can't be done digitally.
Sometimes they want something like a couple boxes of T shirts or a bunch of event materials dropped off.
Once I was paid to move a PA speaker and microphone from store to store in the NYC area.
It was a month of $75 gigs that took about 45 minutes each.
Some areas require you to be licensed/registered or affiliated with a courier business that is licensed.
With gas prices so high, the mileage reimbursement may not be so great.

If you're any good at grammar and editing, I always suggest getting a proofreading certificate somewhere. They can be done pretty quickly (3-6 months) and there seems to be a huge need for them. I see posts on UpWork.com for them all the time. I'm considering it myself. Bright blessings to you ~ keep visualizing positive outcomes.
I just went on to Upwork and applied for proofreading jobs, with no qualifications or job history. I was concerned about competing with applicants in other countries offering $1 an hour, but I found that not to be the case, and in less than a year considered myself successful. I certainly won't get rich, but my needs are few.

I've done a lot of work through things like Workmarket.
Once you do a couple of gigs and don't screw up or arrive late you start developing regular clients.
A lot of it was simple stuff like taking photos for insurance companies or swapping SD cards in digital signage displays.
Pay varies. I've made anywhere between $15 and $50 an hour.
The $50 was a last minute thing on a weekend where they wanted me to drive 50 miles to the tip of Long Island to put some thing in some gift bags at some swanky event. $15-25 is more typical.

The barrier here for van lifers is that they usually expect you to be tied down in one geographic area.
Though I have been offered route jobs which cover a tristate area.

Or turn your van into an ice cream van?
Yeah, I was just thinking that. I had thought of doing it myself after talking with a girl your age who was doing it. She told me she loves the job and makes good money, working for herself (no boss). It's a great use of a van that is fun, making kids happy. With summer around the corner, it's the perfect time to start!

So Giggles. Do you have any input on your thread and some of the suggestions listed?:unsure:

When it comes to becoming a hotel desk clerk/night auditor job you have to take a few factors into consideration. The location of the hotel/motel is a serious consideration. I am a former hotel night auditor with 12-13 years experience in Las Vegas, NV. If you are fortunate enough to be hired for this position working in the southwest could make sleeping in your van during the very hot temps of the arid southwest would be a challenge. There is the possibility of staying in a vacant dirty room or an off-market room. When a hotel room has a problem the room it is put “off-market” until the maintenance problem with that room is resolved. This is a best case scenario. Your next option is a room at an employees discount. The standard employee discount for the franchise where I worked was a flat rate of $25 per day. If you are employed at a hotel consider the location. When I worked in Las Vegas we were told to sell EVERY room if at all possible. For example: If a hotel room had no television and it was off-market we offered the room at a discount. The guest had to sign-off on the reduced rate due to whatever the reason for the reduced rate. Sometimes there are conventions where almost every hotel is full. In conclusion, working at a hotel and getting a ”free” room or a room at a reduced rate isn’t possible. Take into consideration the “market” where the hotel/motel is located. A small town might be a better option to work rather than a large city like Las Vegas, NV. Being forced to sleep in a hot van isn’t the best option. JMHO on working at a hotel as a hospitality worker.

The local university here in town runs a federally funded refugee processing program. I work 2 hours a day, driving the same guys five days a week. All it does for me is to keep me from being a lazy bones. I'm bringing in an extra $550 a month where I would otherwise be another sleeping beauty earning ZERO. So I'm using it to build up my reserves.

There always the work campers like a camp host or amazon seasonal beet harvest or there was a company up Minnesota play over $20 hour for shipping mail order in warehouse bob has video on it

Get a pressure washer and do sidewalks/entrance walks and drive ways?