How can I disconnect my seat electrics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldmcrider

Reaction score
Hi Everybody
I am fairly a fairly new member of the forum but I've been reading it for a while now.

I am not mechanically inclined, but based on advice available through this forum and the search function, I have done a bit of work to it to enable me to sleep comfortably in it.

The van is a late model Chevy Express 2500 cargo van with the 4.8L engine that I have been modifying to use for travel.  So far I've insulated with 1" pink foam insulation that I covered with speaker cabinet carpet,  I built a full sized bed platform from 3/4 inch plywood, added two golf cart batteries which I connected to the starting battery via a manual switch and fuses.  Installed a fantastic vent and a 51L 12 volt Truck Fridge connected to the house electrical. 

I am planning to hit the road on 9/1/17, but before I do I want to turn my passenger seat around to gain some room and a sitting area.  This is where I got stuck. 

It looks very simple.  4 bolts to remove, disconnect the electrical connection turn the seat around and reconnect bolts and electric.  My issue is I have no idea how to get the big yellow connector, located under the passenger seat, apart.

connector1.jpg

Anyone have some helpful hints?

Rider

Attachments

• connector1.jpg
    connector1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Should be a couple tabs on the side that you can squeeze and pull the plug apart.

whoa slow down. do you have Air Bags in the seat? that looks like an Air Bag connector. you must be very careful with it if it is. if you do have an air bag in the seat let us know and we can help you out. highdesertranger

yes what HDR says!!

I have a 2012 savana that I'm converting.  All the yellow connecters in my van seem to be airbag system related.  In my van to disable airbag system you need to disconnect the negative side of battery and wait a few minutes.  I still duck when I'm around any airbags! lol

I do have airbags.  You see, this is just one reason why this forum is so great.  I guess I'm glad it's not an easy disconnect.  Otherwise BOOM...

Should I even be attempting to turn this seat around with my self admitted limited mechanical skills?
Rider

I am not sure on your exact vehicle, you need to research the safe handling of air bags for your exact vehicle. for most vehicles it's like gapper said. we used to disconnect the negative battery cable then turn the headlights on with the key in the on position. this usually drains any capacitors in the system. then unplug the airbag. leave the battery disconnected until after you replug in the air bag. you can still turn your seat around just disconnect and reconnect the air bag correctly. highdesertranger

Would an airbag deploy if you disconnected one of those connectors with out first disconnecting the battery and draining the capacitors? Or is disconnecting the battery a safety measure so you don't have an accidental discharge of the airbag?

haha accidental discharge hahaha. report to the you ain't right thread. all kidding aside the airbag needs an electrical signal to fire, no electricity = no signal = no fire. it's like a safety on a gun. so you are correct. no accidental discharge. highdesertranger

What year van is this? If it is an airbag definitely be careful and follow the advice of disconnecting the battery and draining the capacitor. I have played with setting airbags off and have realized from experience that they are no joke.

I believe it would be in your best interest to go to the dealer on this one, especially if you have no clue what's going on.  This is one of those times when spending money could save you money and maybe even your hearing.  I have heard them go off and if one were to go off in a hollow van it really could have long term effects on your hearing.

mr_elijah_gardner said:
What year van is this? If it is an airbag definitely be careful and follow the advice of disconnecting the battery and draining the capacitor. I have played with setting airbags off and have realized from experience that they are no joke.

Good advise on battery disconnect as a precaution, the air bag inflate is usually triggered by a sensor looking for unusual acceleration/deceleration (accident).
On my Transit I disconnected the air bag without disconnecting the battery with no problem, installed a swivel base and reassembled. All works correctly.

MM

Thanks for all the replies.  The van is a 2017. 
I will disconnect the batteries and wait a while before I attempt to disconnect.  I still don't understand how to get the connector apart though.   It has a red tab on one side that I can slide but then what?  Before I posted I slid the tab and pulled like hell but it wouldn't come apart.  I'm glad the airbag didn't deploy then.
Rider

coldmcrider said:
Thanks for all the replies.  The van is a 2017. 
I will disconnect the batteries and wait a while before I attempt to disconnect.  I still don't understand how to get the connector apart though.   It has a red tab on one side that I can slide but then what?  Before I posted I slid the tab and pulled like hell but it wouldn't come apart.  I'm glad the airbag didn't deploy then.
Rider

You should be able to use a small flathead from something like an eyeglass repair kit. Slide it past the red notch and the yellow tab should come free. It's hard to say not being in person but that's what it looks like in the picture. Have you considered if maybe there is a way to keep the wire connected as you move the seat?

My advice in this reply is worth what you paid for it. lol

search out the correct way. a factory manual will tell you. if you search the internet you should be able to find the info. warning if you get the info from you tube or a forum make sure you collaborate with more than one source. I have seen terrible advice given on both. highdesertranger