House Plants?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibumone

Reaction score
Any other full timers that travel with plants? I have several (15-20ish) plants that all started as 3-4in pots years ago and have been transplanted several times, the biggest are in 20 gal pots on wheels now. No room in my RV for them, but I could prob fit in the bathroom on travel days and keep them outside the rest of the time.

My guiding principle over the last 4 years/3 moves has been anything I havent used/enjoyed in the last year gets tossed. I find joy in knowing these plants have survived my infrequent and suboptimal care for years but are still thriving.

Is traveling with plants a total waste of time/effort/gas?

Not to mention the moisture created in the van, probably you could grow some mold and fungus! Lol!!! People do it but usually small succulents that don’t require much water.

Any other full timers that travel with plants? I have several (15-20ish) plants that all started as 3-4in pots years ago and have been transplanted several times, the biggest are in 20 gal pots on wheels now. No room in my RV for them, but I could prob fit in the bathroom on travel days and keep them outside the rest of the time.
It could be done well with lots of money. A powerful dehumidifier, power source to run it and ideally a toy hauler so you can roll the cart(s) of plants onto the rear deck when parked. (Deck = propping up the ramp). I've already given it some thought:)

Since I can't afford that, I'll bring herbs along.

for me it would be the effort LOL
I don't want stuff that 'has to rely' on me for survival anymore HAHA
I would 'rehome' those plants to others and send them on their way but it truly is very personal to you if you love them and wanna deal with them. Maybe keep 1 or 2 and the rest off to new homes or into the abyss. Everywhere ya go there are plants, flowers and trees to apprecaite and enjoy as eye candy in our travels. For me personally the effort to drag all that along would just be annoying as heck....now that is me about the effort and time into them. Gas to haul them? wouldn't matter for me cause I can't get past the time and effort part so none of them would be coming with me anyway LOL

I carry 6 house plants in my van, the remnants of a once large collection. They live in a tote with a screen top, to prevent rodent and/or insect depredation. The tote is outside whenever weather permits, like today. They're doing well. I have a spider plant, a jade plant, a creeping fig, a Cleopatra begonia (which actually flowers once a year), a violet squill, and an aloe vera. These are all reasonably tough plants which can be easily divided whenever they get too large. I don't have any problem finding new homes for the extra divisions. Eases the pangs of no longer having a garden.

As for crossing into California, here's the scoop - https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/InteriorExclusion/houseplant_FAQ.html

Last edited:
Eases the pangs of no longer having a garden.
My husband and I recently engaged in a little "gorilla" tree planting. On our last trip to check on it, the tree was doing very well. I'll spare you the story behind it, but It was so much fun, we will probably plant another in that area next year!

I'm a microgreens expert and I love them to death, but I can tell you that any significant watering of any significant amount of water-hungry plants creates a LOT of moisture in the air such that in all but supremely dry climates -- with your windows etc wide open! -- you will notice the humidity created.

And if YOU notice it -- problems like fungus and mold are probably already setting in. Both on the plants themselves and, more importantly, in the visible and invisible places you need to keep clean and dry.

I love growing plants, just enormously -- am a Master Gardener too -- but think it has to be done carefully even within a house, and therefore all the moreso just within the small, ill-sealed confines of a van or trailer or RV. I've had numerous mold problems in my own trailer and I don't grow anything there at all, and take great care against it.

I'm a microgreens expert and I love them to death, but I can tell you that any significant watering of any significant amount of water-hungry plants creates a LOT of moisture in the air such that in all but supremely dry climates -- with your windows etc wide open! -- you will notice the humidity created.

And if YOU notice it -- problems like fungus and mold are probably already setting in. Both on the plants themselves and, more importantly, in the visible and invisible places you need to keep clean and dry.

I love growing plants, just enormously -- am a Master Gardener too -- but think it has to be done carefully even within a house, and therefore all the moreso just within the small, ill-sealed confines of a van or trailer or RV. I've had numerous mold problems in my own trailer and I don't grow anything there at all, and take great care against it.
What if it is a dry climate and the plants are outside from dawn to dusk? Just curious:)

Now yer talkin'!

Coming from a perspective not necessarily common to others, I'll mention something important to microgreens growers.

That is, that air circulation is vital. Both to keep humidity down, and to strengthen the stems of the young plants. (This also helps prevent mold and fungus.)

Being outdoors means being subject to the breeze. One hopes? This both dissipates the humidity and creates the stress on the stems that makes the young plant stems thicker and stronger.

and therefore all the moreso just within the small, ill-sealed confines of a van or trailer or RV. I've had numerous mold problems in my own trailer and I don't grow anything there at all, and take great care against it.
I was a farmer before retirement so I feel ya on this. I am 'outside in nature' is key and inside the work begins....the work and the 'extra like over moisture and mold' issues come to bear for sure. good post.

our greenhouse issues vs. our out in the field acres of crops were so diff. in that the greenhouse was a royal pain in the :)

My husband and I recently engaged in a little "gorilla" tree planting. On our last trip to check on it, the tree was doing very well. I'll spare you the story behind it, but It was so much fun, we will probably plant another in that area next year!
I have access to a piece of land (in Washington state) where I spend a good part of my summer. I am brainstorming what plants I could grow there that do not require regular summer watering. Looking to native plants, of course, plus the whole Mediterranean flora. Still in the brainstorming phase...

Many people say they are concerned about mold issues. I am too, but I have not seen any mold and I am going on the fourth year of hauling these plants around. I deduce from this that my van is sufficiently aerated! I have not finished the inside - no insulation or wall panels - so that may be a factor.

I am well known for having brown fingers (not green!). However, this came to my attention recently and I am so excited about it. Now I carry around my own little garden in my car and eat at least one healthy thing with every meal (even my peanut butter sandwiches get a handful!).

Lots of fun watching them grow, and certainly none of the issues spoken about above.

After learning that yes, I was able to do it, I even bought a second jar so that I could have a continuous supply.

https://www.darngoodveggies.com/plant-basics-how-to-grow-sprouts-in-a-jar/

I am well known for having brown fingers (not green!). However, this came to my attention recently and I am so excited about it. Now I carry around my own little garden in my car and eat at least one healthy thing with every meal (even my peanut butter sandwiches get a handful!).
I love sprouts and long ago I sprouted my own in jars. A few years ago I read an interview with a doctor who said sprouts are the most dangerous food to eat. He could be wrong, but you might want to read up on sprouts. From the Cleveland Clinic:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-are-the-health-benefits-and-risks-of-eating-sprouts/

Thanks for the feedback, all seems like solid info. I dated a granola chick for a while that was into microgreens, the greens were more enjoyable than the "magical" crystal deodorant minerals that allegedly worked. I think you have to eat the microgreens before the leaves give them that bitter tart taste.

Never had plant mold issues other than Oregon coast, took me about a month to figure out you don't need to water anything there, the morning humidity does it for you. And...I don't think I have ever actually been stopped at a California ag/bug station. I lived in Tahoe for 20 years, you just drove around them, I really think they only bother with commercial vehicles and cars with license plates that are not from adjacent states. Never had AZ plates but I've had California, Nevada, and Oregon plates and was never stopped. Maybe once on I-80 at Donner summit on a summer touristy day, but usually take hwy 50/Cap City Freeway or 101.

Anyway...I think Im going to keep my christmas cactus (should start blooming anytime now), haworthia zebras, aloe, and a few others. Maybe the rest will make the RTR free table/pile?

Thanks again for the feedback! CC

Sometimes I get the impression that the last thing health professionals want is a healthy population.

Maybe, but having spent a good portion of my life working around medical professionals, i think it is more likely that they know that most people are on automatic when it comes to this stuff. People just never think that their food can make them sick, because by and large, it doesn't. Before we had laws about food safety, we were much more aware of potential dangers.