Hopeful Newbie Seeking Advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MayAnne2

Reaction score
Hello! I do not have an RV, yet, but ever since I was a child I dreamed of living full time in an RV. I have never liked the 'traditional' ways of living but I have a few obstacles preventing me from living my RV dream. My idea growing up has always been to buy a piece of land and live full time in my off grid RV, however during my research I have found that to be a very unrealistic plan with city and county regulations typically wanting RVers to be building a 'traditional' home or only full timing for 30 days +/- I am unable to buy a home, or property for that matter, in which I would need a loan due to a bankruptcy. I also entertained the idea of renting or purchasing a plot at an RV park, however, parks (that I have researched) are usually quite restrictive on pets, even including a pet rent. I have 5 dogs that I do not plan on parting with. So my last thought was to do the more obvious thing and travel in my RV, however I have a medical condition that prevents me from driving. So my thought on this was to hire someone to relocate my RV when I need it to be moved.
My questions are
1) Is hiring a driver too far fetched an idea?
2) Is there a city anywhere in the US that will allow you to live on your own property in a RV year round? I dont mind any climate as I have lived in all types and dont really care either way, although I do prefer the dry cold/heat of the west vs wet cold/heat of the east.
3) Are there RV parks that are more relaxed on the pet restrictions/pet rent?
-I work from home, so I only require internet and phone service, other than that I dont mind a busy city, the middle of nowhere, or anything inbetween. Any suggestions on ideas would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hi MayAnne2 and welcome to the forum. I don't have much useful advice on your line of questioning, I do know that the restrictions on property surprised me too! I thought there were some richer places that had restrictions, but it seems abit more pervasive than I originally thought. Kinda stinks! Hopefully you get some answers here that help point you in a direction to look. Best of luck to you and your pups!

Welcome MayAnne to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. others will chime in about your Questions. but I have one, if you can't drive and are in the middle of nowhere how will you get supplies. out west here the middle of nowhere really means the middle of nowhere. highdesertranger

Hiring a driver is pretty normal actually. Mostly it is hiring a driver that already has a truck to tow your trailer to the next destination. There are many professional services that will do that, or you can check Craig's List for someone local who may do it cheaper. Since you can not drive anyway, might I suggest looking into a travel trailer as opposed to a RV. Either way you go, you shouldn't have a tough time finding someone that can drive it to your next location.

City? No. I doubt you will find any city that allows it. You may find counties that do but again, seriously doubtful within city limits. Even still, most of those counties are going to be in the South West I bet.

RV Parks... I bet there are some with more relaxed rules, but I doubt any will just let you have your dogs off leash and running free. I hadn't heard of pet-rent, but I can imagine it especially with 5 dogs... that's a lot of dogs in an RV. It sounds like an RV park with a good monthly rate and allows dogs is a good bet for you. Call ahead, ask all your questions, and take your pick. The South West is going to be the cheapest and the least restrictive both in land use and RV parks.

good luck

Not sure if this helps but I read a while back Spur Tx. is very friendly to the Tiny House movement. Some has said the city is making mandatory utility hook ups so some bought land just outside Spur city limits.

I live in Garwood, Texas, full time, in a Travel trailer, and have for nearly two years
Unincorporated township, is what it is, no zoning, no restrictions, plenty of folks here living in TTs
I do have hookups, and I'm pretty sure they're required, but the properties here mostly already have them

I watched an interesting video about investors buying up old RV parks and jacking up the rent. Tenants have nowhere else to go.
I think maybe buying an acre or two in a rural area and putting up a prefab metal building large enough to park inside.

Local Govt would have a time trying to prove what you were doing with the land, (storage/ living). This approach does take money. Sometimes you can catch a deal on tax lien sales.

I've twice had T.T.s set up in mobile home parks.  Once in Sand Springs OK along a river.  Another time in Ennis Tx.  here in Al i can rent a mobile home lot for $150mo and put a T.T. on it and pay my own elec. or in the "RV" section it's $350 up including the elec.  RV lots = no or minimum shade.  M.H. lots may be fenced and have shade.  If I leave AL to settle else where it may well be back in TX.  That's my home state and I do miss it.  My Aliner has no shower or holding tanks so I'll have to deal with that accordingly when the time comes.  I've found that some rural areas are less concerned with zoning issues than even some smaller towns.  Also it seems to me that older Trailer parks are more lenient re: age/size of rig and pets.

Good luck with your search.

Jewellann