Honey Truck Karma

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Treknik said:
I'm driving down from a Mt. Rainer adventure after sunset. There is massive cloud/fog cover and I'm going maybe 15 mph because visibility is nil. Guy comes up behind and rides my ass for awhile honking now and again. I finally find a spot I can pull over. He blows by be me then slams his breaks as now he can't follow my taillights. I ride his ass down the mountain - at 15 mph.

Well, at least he had enough brains to slow down.

We all have these Karma stories
Mine. There was a really pretty new convertible Corvette in the neighborhood. Liked to race a bit. If I had a new Corvette I might too. One evening coming home from work saw it with the front end mushed under the paint end of one of those road strip paint trucks just around a corner by my house. Front end totaled and paint all over the drivers seat and the driver was out of his pretty car all covered in white road paint. There where road work signs I saw as I approached the area so he had to have seen them too. This is not a 'nice' turn lots of accidents and such there. See lots of folks take it way to fast. Poor car.

Another one:

Years ago I was driving up I-35 from Minneapolis to Duluth. It started snowing in Minneapolis but wasn't bad. The further north I got the more it snowed. By the time I got about 40 miles from Duluth, it was snowing hard and the traffic on I-35 was down to a single lane and moving about 25 mph. There was a semi-truck at the front of our long string of cars—he was making the single lane of tracks in the now deep snow which the rest of us faithfully followed. At some point a car came flying past us all—I suppose he was thinking bad roads didn't apply to him. The rest of us just stayed behind the semi. As the car went by I thought to myself, I bet I see that one in the ditch at some point. It didn't take very long and sure enough, there is the speeding car, now motionless, in the ditch half buried in the snow. :) I made it to my destination fine as I am sure everyone else in our slow moving caravan did.

Most of these tales have little to do with karma but cause and effect. Karma is a spiritual thing.

Cause and effect is the basis of karma—you do this, then you can expect this.

Karma is not a spiritual thing. It is yet another punishment/reward idea placed on certain belief systems. It is another version of the heaven/hell concept.

In the context of this thread, karma, like many words and phrases which have been co-opted for a more general meaning, was used not to imply a certain fate after physical death. Although it would be kind of funny if the people described in the original post get stuck in a Groundhog's Day loop and repeatedly run into the back of a honey wagon. This goes on until years later, they realize they are running into their own $hit and they have to deal with it.

Sorry, Karma and dogma ARE spiritual concepts and were created as such. Appropriating the terms doesn't change that.

Sorry, Karma and dogma ARE spiritual concepts and were created as such. Appropriating the terms doesn't change that.
Agreed. For me, Karma is one of those concepts I WISH were true. If someone wants to "believe" in it with no factual basis that would stand up in court or peer review, no skin off my nose. Just don't claim it as fact. Of course, that is kind of where I stand on any "spiritual" concept, so maybe I am biased. :)