home-made air filter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
Some DIY-ers might enjoy this Washington Post article about making your own air filter. The one they demonstrate is pretty big, but I imagine the dimensions could be reduced for smaller spaces. I was surprised at how effective it was found to be -- not just for germs but for pollutants etc. Still not cheap, but much cheaper than a commercially produced one.

The author says it's easier than making pie crust, but I don't know how hard it is to make pie crust ;)

I've been telling friends with allergies to do this for years. Almost none have bothered trying it. So I just accept that it is what it is when they complain about allergies.

You can actually tape one filter to the front of the fan.

It's almost as easy as eating pie. That I know how to do lol.

Very grateful for this post. Such serendipity, too! Since coming back to the house, I have been suffering tremendously from the poor air quality here (mainly particulates) and have been looking at air purification options. Already have the fan and tape. Filters on the way. Absolutely worth a try for $60.

I have air purifiers, and have sold a ton of them. The only difference is the filter folds are tighter. Mostly because of limited space. Otherwise you'd have to change filters on them weekly, if not sooner.

Absolutely worth trying.

This is genius in how simple and accessible it is! I absolutely love this kind of DIY video where you can get marvelous results for minimal building requirements!

Put one together this morning. Just in time, as air quality here at noon was "Poor". It is large, but not unattractive (I had white tape on hand, which looks better, IMO) and it's not terribly loud on Low.

My subdivision was once surrounded by pastures, but now we are essentially next to a railway logistics center. Diesel electric locomotives idle for hours while cars are staged, which produces a lot of particulate pollution. There are also lots of semis to support the movement of goods we all crave (including MERV-13 air filters, LOL).

We bought the 20" fan a week ago to see if it would mask some of the noise. We are also directly in the flight path for two major airports, with business jets screaming overhead continuously on Fridays and Sundays, as well as the usual commercial passenger jets. Sunday morning, a neighbors car stereo shook the walls from 2:00-4:30 a.m. The fan helps with higher pitched sounds ("singing" train rails, back-up beepers, etc.), but is no help with lower pitched rumbles and roars. I digress...

The air filter is awesome! Thanks again for the post.

As Happy Camper said just tape a single filter to the fan.

As I recall efficiency on the MERV 13 is only 85%, but the volume is high and functionality is compared to the HEPA standard.

These are of the most use during wildfire season.