Home Address, Home State for you Fulltime Women??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
This is a must for me to know and get rolling as soon as I can.  What have you gals that are full-timers found to use for a home-State, driver's license, mailing address etc.?  I mean women like myself that have no home to go back to, and no family to go back to? No family or friend to use as a home-address?

I have Medicare and Medi Cal here in California, and I need to pick a State that also has SSI, and possible a State Supplement Payment to start with. If I can get Summer work, like I used to do, I may not need the extra help, but in all honesty, I need it to make ends meet, and keep my savings cushion padded (emergency fund).  I have good credit but I don't want to use that card unless I have to.

I did read the blog (Bob's) on what to do about my questions above, but I think that was written some time ago, and I'm not sure it's up to date.  But, when I first read it, no problem with using my California information until I got to the part that said "California will chase you down" I guess that means, don't do it.  I want to be legal, and I'm pretty sure living in a mobile rig is legal, but I don't know if you aren't actually staying full-time in the State you call your home-base.  Now that I typed it out, I'm thinking fine, if you go back part of the year, it must be ok??

I am from California, but moved to Alabama last October. Of course I am no longer a nomad, but if I became one again I would keep my Alabama everything. Things are cheaper here. The only thing is I think they cut back on Medicaid recently (I could be wrong about that). I have Medicare Supplemental, that payment is going down from $187/mo to $115/mo by virtue of the move to Alabama.

Not only that, it is so easy to get a medical appointment here! And the doctors and staff are very personable. Car insurance, same. Cheaper. By a whole lot. There is apparently a good mail forwarding service now, after people had trouble with a clunker. (I think it's Debra Dickenson on YouTube who found it and recommended it fairly recently?)

Being from California I was like ALABAMA??? It's SO FAR AWAY. This area is great though. It ain't California, but it's close to a lot of good stuff (Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Panama City). So even though people often choose Nevada, Arizona or South Dakota the fact is that Arizona where I used to live and Nevada are getting more and more expensive as we breathe. Having a state that moves slower is easier to get things done. Meaning, population is lower and people aren't rushing around like other states they are more relaxed and less stressed.

So are you saying if you were full-timing, you would have to travel to Alabama to keep your residence DesertRose? That's a long haul for my old truck. I live in the tri-cities, Florence to be exact, Killen to be double exact. Had a very old rental out there, and LOVED it. Worked for 3 years, ended up coming back to Oregon, by way of a couple other States ;)

Thanks so much for telling me because Summer was humid there, but not unbearable. I did have an old AC in that apartment I rented. I do love the South, so I will check out some things and just see what my costs would be for mail-service, insurance. I just don't know what people have to do that are Full-timers, do they "have" to go back and check in every certain amount of months??

I will go read Bob's blog again. He picked Pahrump NV, and said he loves it, plus, it's easy for him because he can travel right through there each year or whenever I guess.

here's what I read from bob's blog on Physical Residence, I'm reading again now: https://www.cheaprvliving.com/commu...al-residence-address-real-id-drivers-license/

I don't think you have to travel back to Alabama to keep your domicile. Maybe once a year, like with South Dakota?? Maybe someone else can chime in on that. I mean, they're tracking us but not to that extent, I don't think. I would check into the SSI and Medicaid here. I know a few people already, who have SSI so I don't think that would be an issue. And if you're on SSI, you automatically get Medicare or Medicaid, of course. Some people can get both, based on income (I don't qualify, I "make too much money.") :rolleyes:

I would think the big issue is rig insurance in terms of domicile. I don't know how they handle that. But you certainly don't have to tell the insurance company that you travel around all the time.

I live 25 miles south of Huntsville and have yet to visit The Shoals. Looking forward to it. That river better "sing" like they all say it does :D

https://medicaid.alabama.gov/docume...for_Optional_State_Supplementary_Payments.pdf
I don't know if the requirements have changed, probably have. You would need a more recent document.

yes, the original says 2016 I think it was, and it's been edited 4 times so could be late info or later anyway. I am not disabled but they gave me SSI/SSP when I turned 65. I need to hear from other women that full-time to get their feedback on how they do it nowadays. I'll make some calls to find out about SSI and if they have a State Supplemental Payment. That's to help with the extra you have to pay with Medicare. Oh, and I need to check on the medicaid too. I think most States have it. I think I should plan to take up a Physical Address in the State I spend most of the time, like maybe AZ. That's where most of the people I'm met on here, go in Winter ;)

I've been thinking about getting residency in South Dakota. I hear that there, you need to show up in person once every five years. Right now I have my van registered in California but it was very expensive and since my home burned down, I don't really have a residence here. Right now I'm in a borrowed travel trailer in a RV park. Feeling displaced and unsettled, unsure of the future.

G0ldengirl68 said:
yes, the original says 2016 I think it was, and it's been edited 4 times so could be late info or later anyway.  I am not disabled but they gave me SSI/SSP when I turned 65.  I need to hear from other women that full-time to get their feedback on how they do it nowadays.  I'll make some calls to find out about SSI and if they have a State Supplemental Payment.  That's to help with the extra you have to pay with Medicare.  Oh, and I need to check on the medicaid too.  I think most States have it.  I think I should plan to take up a Physical Address in the State I spend most of the time, like maybe AZ.  That's where most of the people I'm met on here, go in Winter ;)

I want to return to AZ eventually but not sure I'll be able to. Just remember, it's getting harder and harder to find spots in the summer in AZ. When I lived there (I left 6 years ago) Flagstaff was chock full even then. Nowadays, I see on YouTube that it's worse. Of course, determination will solve that issue. I noticed that Bob and Debra and others are spending more time in Nevada during summer than in the past (due to that being their domicile). I wonder if NV is any cheaper insurance wise than AZ. I would think not, or if it is, it's not by much.

travelaround said:
I've been thinking about getting residency in South Dakota. I hear that there, you need to show up in person once every five years. Right now I have my van registered in California but it was very expensive and since my home burned down, I don't really have a residence here. Right now I'm in a borrowed travel trailer in a RV park. Feeling displaced and unsettled, unsure of the future.
Hi travelaround, the registrations here are ridiculous aren't they. My teeny truck is called commercial so it's 158 a year.  I'm way up at the top of CA, almost to Oregon, my home-State but I honestly don't desire to go up there again. I like the Dakotas too, well, South is all I've really been through.  I had to chill out and take a nap, as I got myself overwhelmed with figuring things out.  I think what's best is to wait til the temps are more bearable for rigs like mine, and me of course, and go down for about 3 months.  

Are you anywhere near me in Crescent City/Brookings OR area?  Maybe we could meetup if I come through where you are, I'll be either on my own, or with Doug and Paulette depending when they decide to head South.  Maybe you could go down there with me, room for you, and I have 2 extra tents.  Sounds like you know lots of people here so you wouldn't have to be stuck with just me ;)

If I feel about the Nomad life like I believe I'm going to, I won't hardly be able to wait to get back here and give my notice ;)

[quote pid='545480' dateline='1627500953']
DesertRose
[/quote]
Yes, things change, but I don't think I'd care so much as long as I could be around others of my kind Rose.  I hope you will come out again.  I can't help but believe this is meant to be for me.  I know nothing is perfect in this world, but I do know I think even sitting out under the stars with others that love being there, would start making more memories for me.  Right now, it's like I'm not making any memories now.  I don't want to be one to just think of the past memories, and stagnate, stop living some dreams.

G0ldengirl68 said:
Are you anywhere near me in Crescent City/Brookings OR area? 
I'm in Happy Camp! I could go to Crescent City/Brookings easily - I was in Grant's Pass on Monday... seeking lumber for my van conversion. I will be in Klamath Falls probably tomorrow or Friday for the same reason. As soon as I get my van converted I will be traveling. I may be going to San Diego around the end of September to see my sister, for her husband's memorial service. I'd love to meet up with you at some time but really am hoping to get my van conversion done first. The road between my town and Hwy. 199 is now closed for 75 days of logging activity.

Goldengirl you don’t have to worry about anything. Doug knows everything!!!

As far as the LTVA goes there is plenty of room for everyone and they will never run out of space. I’ll see you there and take you on a tour of Quartzsite and the surrounding desert.

Look into escapees.com. They have 60,000 members and have been helping the nomadic community since around the 70s. They have mail service, etc.

Thanks Cammalu,

I was also relieved to see the monthly temperatures for Winter months in Quartzite. I hadn't even looked that up yet ;) Thanks and I'd love to have someone show you show me around. Mimmie will have a lot to get used to but she will be much happier as she "loves" being outdoors too ;)

Escapees is in Texas if I remember right, or the mail-service. I wouldn't mind being a Texan at all and lived there, had a license for some time, thank you again!!

There is a dog park in Q for your little one

I got up the courage to ask my sister if I needed to, would she be ok with me using her home-address as my physical address.  It's in Oregon, so I'm not sure I want to go that route or not.  Rather than have to travel too far for hot Summer months, it might be easier, and cheaper to stay somewhere in the higher elevations in the Southwest.  I don't need to figure that all out now, I realize, but I love the planning, and researching.  It's keeping me busy and I need that :)  So I'm not worrying, I'm just thinking outloud ;)

I use my Mom's address.  I've used UPS stores a couple of times, one when I lived out of the country for awhile.  I have a backup plan of using a friend's address as geographic address while using a mail service to actually get mail delivery.  Both are here in AZ.  If your sister will allow it, getting a mail service in her area while saying you 'live' at her place might work best.  That way she doesn't have to actually handle your mail.

I agree on all Shadowmoss. I am pretty sure I'm going to use Nevada, I like all Bob has to say about it in his videos, and it would be easier for me to get there from AZ or anywhere I am staying in the SW ;) I could also stay there the 30 days in an RV Park to establish my Drivers License, tags, Medicaid etc. ;) I have Medicare as main, but need Medicaid as well.

Geesh!! My truck insurance almost doubles if I have my home "physical residence" in Pahrump NV ;( I thought California was high, but maybe the DMV costs would even things out (license and registration.

G0ldengirl68 said:
"Hi travelaround, the registrations here are ridiculous aren't they. My teeny truck is called commercial so it's 158 a year.  I'm way up at the top of CA, almost to Oregon, my home-State but I honestly don't desire to go up there again."

If you have a camper shell on your truck you can register it as a passenger vehicle not a commercial vehicle. From the California DMV:

13.110 Pickup With a Camper Attached
A “camper” is a structure designed to be mounted upon a motor vehicle and to provide facilities for human habitation or camping purposes (CVC §243). A canopy or similar structure mounted upon a motor vehicle for purposes of human habitation or camping purposes is considered a camper. Other equipment facilitating human habitation, such as a stove or bed, does not have to be permanently affixed to the vehicle. Do not complete a Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form for human habitation facilities.A one-axle camper is not considered a motor vehicle (CVC §243). When mounted upon a motor vehicle, the camper must have its total weight supported by the motor vehicle, independent of any axle attached permanently or temporarily to the structure. a one-axle structure that is too large to be mounted upon and fully supported by the motor vehicle independent of the axle attached to the structure is a trailer coach or camp trailer, depending on its overall length, and it must be registered separately. A permanently attached camper or camper shell (the owner’s intention is not to remove it) meets the definition of a housecar (CVC §362) and may be registered as a passenger vehicle. Assign a body type model (BTM) “PM” (pickup with camper mounted) to the vehicle.
Adding a camper shell to a pickup truck does not necessarily constitute a change from commercial to auto registration. The addition must meet the definitions for human habitation or camping purposes. Otherwise, the vehicle may be subject to citation from law enforcement for not meeting the definition of an auto. Human habitation is defined as living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms.
In addition to basic original or transfer requirements, the following must be submitted
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/file/miscellaneous-certifications-reg-256a-pdf/Miscellaneous Certifications (REG 256A) [/font][/color][/url]form with the Certification of Vehicle for Human Habitation section completed to establish or retain “PM” status.

Wow, so that means after my Camper-build is finished, I can register it here as "passenger". I still doubt I keep California as my physical residence though. I appreciate the info if my plans change though,

thanks so much!