Holidays and Being Single

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right Brad, holidays are tough.&nbsp; When you're single after a certain age, it seems like we become one of the forgotten masses.&nbsp; I lost my parents 18 yrs ago (dad) and 8 yrs ago (mom). I still miss them.&nbsp; The dementia your father is experiencing is like a long slow death, so you are already going through the grieving process, because part of your relationship is already gone.&nbsp; Take this time to tell your dad all the things that you want to say, while he's still fairly well.&nbsp; I found that having my parents both die of asbestos related lung cancer, that at least we had the time to spend talking about the past, sharing the great memories, and letting them know how much they were loved.&nbsp; It was very difficult to watch them slowly fade away, especially once they were hospitalized, but I feel grateful that we had the time together.&nbsp; I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose a parent suddenly, and never have that chance to tell them how much they are loved, and say good-bye one last time.<br><br>After my mom died, my family all seemed to split apart. There was a big blow-up with my sister and 2 brothers, and things have never been the same.&nbsp; We used to all be so close, but now our kids are all grown up, and my brothers are grandparents themselves.&nbsp; They have their own lives, full of kids and grandkids, and both of them are married also, so now that my parents are gone, we are all the heads of our own families.&nbsp; I haven't heard from my sister in over a year.&nbsp; She also is married, and has turned really mean the older she gets, so I'm not that inclined to contact her very often. They just don't understand what it's like to live alone.&nbsp; I don't expect them to understand, but it would be nice if they did.<br><br>I only have one daughter, and she is married and lives about 50 minutes away. Between her dad &amp; stepmom (who have a gorgeous cottage on a private lake), her in-laws (who have a gorgeous condo in Vancouver, B.C. and a gorgeous cottage here in Ontario), I'm usually the last to get any scraps of their time. They also informed me that they'll be flying to Vancouver for Christmas this year, so guess where that leaves me?&nbsp; Home alone.&nbsp; They are very busy with their jobs and their many&nbsp;friends. They socialize quite a bit, and every weekend they have plans.&nbsp; Even for their birthdays June 26th &amp; 30th,&nbsp;I didn't get to see them until the 11th of July, and that was because I went there and took them out for dinner.&nbsp; Our visit lasted less than 3 hours, because it was a weeknight and they both had to work in the morning.&nbsp; I hate it, but it is what it is.<br><br>I've decided that I can't wait for other people to ask me to do things.&nbsp; I have to make my own life as a single person, and it's hard sometimes.&nbsp; I've been on my own for 8 yrs, and if I wait to have someone to do things with, I'll be waiting a LONG time.&nbsp; So I've decided to buy myself a used camper trailer, and start spending my summers up at the lake.&nbsp; I'm tired of being alone, and being in a trailer park from May to October will give me much needed socialization!&nbsp; One thing I know about campers is they love to show off their rigs, so I'm hoping that I'll meet all the other seasonal campers, and make some new friends for all year long. I'm just in the research stage right now, and having so much fun. It's nice to be excited about something again!<br><br>Regards,<br><a href="http://thoughtsfromalonelyplace.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/comparison-shopping-for-trailers/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Nancy</a>

Welcome Nancy. If you have time, will you move your introduction part of your post to "Introductions" so more people may welcome you and get to know you? &nbsp;I don't want to take Brad's thread over but you summed up so well what happened in my family, after my mom died. Luckily I'm close to my adult kids but everything else went to pot.<br><strong><span style="color: #ff00ff;">Dragonfly</span></strong>

Hi Nancy. I know what it is with kids. Our last surviving son used to live like 3 miles from us and we were lucky if he would visit once a month. Now he got divorced and, while we live a couple of hundred miles away, things are no different. His mother is slowly dying and we haven't seen him in way over a year. He claims poverty but he does things like sky diving trips and dirt bikes and such so I don't think its just poverty that keeps him away. While I'm not alone yet, it could be any day and I just don't plan on anything with anybody. I expect to be alone but will try to put myself in places/situations where I will "bump" into other people and situations to make my expectations of loneliness not come true. Similar to your "trailer park" plans. I hope it works out for you as well as I hope it works for me someday.

Thank you for your kind welcome to this forum.&nbsp; I've reposted my comments to the Introductions page, with a little bit of editing.&nbsp; I appreciate knowing that there are other singles (and marrieds) out there, who are going through the same things that I am.&nbsp; Hopefully we can all hold each other up when we need it.&nbsp; Kindest Regards, Nancy

I hear ya... It can be lonely sometimes. The sun always comes out... tomorrow. :)

This probably will sound weird, but this is one of the best threads I've read on the forum. I am glad to realize that I'm not the only one, and wow what a loving, uplifting & sharing group of people. I can hardly wait to meet y'all in January.

Yea, it all seems to suk at times. Cathy's been gone less than a month. Son doesn't even call on my birthday. And now, everyone, except me it seems, is all cheer and happy with the Christmas season. Lucky I can hide at home but that suks too. I hope ya'll are doing better by now. I hope to be doing better as I get out of the house but it ain't easy being out amongst all the "normal" people.

Hi Terry, I'm so sorry to hear of Cathy's passing. Remember, you have a fine group of friends here, we are here for you, we'll listen and help in any way we can. Sincerely, Duane

Terry, I wasn't aware that Cathy had died. Peace be upon her. What is remembered lives.

As a widow I can spend holidays with my kids but after this year I hope to be in the desert in winter.

Terry- it was a hard path but you stayed true to your promise. My thoughts are with you.

Mockturtle! I did not know. I was going to ask you earlier today how he was doing. Now I want ro know how you are doing.....

twokniveskatie said:
Mockturtle! I did not know. I was going to ask you earlier today how he was doing. Now I want ro know how you are doing.....

Katie, I am glad he is no longer suffering and is now in the loving care of God. He had been hospitalized and the doctors recommended Hospice so I brought him home rather than back to the SNF. It was wonderful to have him here until the end!

Minute by minute, keeping busy, reminiscing. I loved him--still love him--more than life, itself and, though he was not himself the past several years, I miss him dreadfully. I have a lot of support and will do fine. Next week I will bring his ashes home. Thank you for caring!

Oh, you have both been in my prayers for so long. I am so glad he was able to come home. We are here if you need us, and my prayers continue...

Terry and Mockturtle. It looks like I have been to engrossed in my own dramas and did not know that you have lost your mates. I am sorry.
Diane

For Terry and Mockturtle

Attachments

• purple finches (sympathy.jpg
    purple finches (sympathy.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 11