Holding Thinsulate in place

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
I'm wanting to put Thinsulate insulation up in a Ford Transit van I'm converting. I'm following "FarOutRide" website's build journal as I think they put a bit of thought into how materials will work together in the long run. They use 3M 90 spray adhesive to hold the batts of insulation in place on the walls and ceilings prior to putting up the tongue and groove paneling to cover the walls and ceiling. I would imagine even after the wall covering goes over gravity would tend to work on the insulation to settle downward. I want the insulation in place while I route the wiring for the house electrical system, which may take some time, and prior to putting up the T&G wall covering.

I can't find 3M90 or any other 3M spray adhesives right now. Another pandemic related supply chain issue it seems. Any other suggestions for applying the batts of Thinsulate insulation to the walls and ceiling to hold them in place?

I can tell you what ended up working for me, I not using the insulation that you did, But this will still work

I first tried spray adhesive.. it didn't work, with the radiant heat come through the adhesive failed.

So, then I had some heavy duty, Gorilla glue construction adhesive.. And that is what did it for me.. That stuff is some good adhesive seems like for just about anything..

Liquid nails is far to thin.. try the gorilla adhesive

I used the 3M 90 Adhesive with my Thinsulate. Still holding it to the ceiling of my Transit. While I was building it I was living in Arizona.Thats stuff stayed up winter and summer. It has to be the 3M 90 though for the high heat capabilities. I bought mine at Home Depot. If there's a supply shortage I don't know what to tell you on that. I would keep looking for it if there's a chance you can find it. The stuff is amazing.

I used the same in my van.. thinsulate and 3M 90.. it has held in place more than a year now except one area of the ceiling I put blue construction tape on to keep it in place.

I'm getting my van paneled in a few days and more insulation will be added.. probably wool.

Since I have a window of time to work within and I needed to get insulation in to be able to move on to electrical, ceiling and wall coverings, I sought some 3M 90 on eBay. One lot of 6 smaller cans and 1 lot of 8 full size cans. Have had a lot of drama with one seller who among other things sent it to the wrong buyer, but got started and am have received word the 8 full size cans are on their way. Worked out to be around $20. a can, but worth it to me to get it done and move on.

The Low E Insulation that covers the bare metal areas will take a fair amount of adhesive. Although I suspect contact cement would have worked okay for that.

Have you tried looking in a craft store such as Joann , Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Walmart craft area or an office supply for the 3M 90? They might not be sold out of it versus the hardware and auto parts stores.

The brand Locktite also makes a heavy duty high heat spray glue that is the equivalent of 3M 90. Sorry but I don't remember the exact name on the can. But it is stocked at many hardware stores including Home Depot.

I'm wanting to put Thinsulate insulation up in a Ford Transit van I'm converting. I'm following "FarOutRide" website's build journal as I think they put a bit of thought into how materials will work together in the long run. They use 3M 90 spray adhesive to hold the batts of insulation in place on the walls and ceilings prior to putting up the tongue and groove paneling to cover the walls and ceiling. I would imagine even after the wall covering goes over gravity would tend to work on the insulation to settle downward. I want the insulation in place while I route the wiring for the house electrical system, which may take some time, and prior to putting up the T&G wall covering.

I can't find 3M90 or any other 3M spray adhesives right now. Another pandemic related supply chain issue it seems. Any other suggestions for applying the batts of Thinsulate insulation to the walls and ceiling to hold them in place?
I used thinsulate in my steel high top Gemtop canopy. I used string to hold the thinsulate up and out of the way, while putting shiplap blue stain pine up. You only need 2-3 pieces of the string holding it up while doing the wood work. I tried the 3M spray adhesive, but it has issues. In the heat, it tends to dry too fast for good adhesion, and is tricky to do in the cold. It does help keep things a bit warmer.

I used a layer of thinsulate on the ceiling and walls of my Chevy Express. I ended up using aluminum tape very sticky holds great. Then then 3/4 inch foam and finally 1/4 " T and G pine.I understand the thinsulate works best with an air gap between the metal and the insulation.

Attachments

• 20211002_164848.jpg
    20211002_164848.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211003_151233.jpg
    20211003_151233.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 5
I used a layer of thinsulate on the ceiling and walls of my Chevy Express. I ended up using aluminum tape very sticky holds great. Then then 3/4 inch foam and finally 1/4 " T and G pine.I understand the thinsulate works best with an air gap between the metal and the insulation.
What you are showing in those photos is "foam board". Thinsulite is the fabric like fluffy layer, batting, stuff they use inside of winter coats. It is used in vans as it is a very good alterntive to the fluffy fiberglass batting.

....To address the original question in the thread about the soft batt materials shifting down the wall via gravity.

You can adhere insulation pins to the inside skin of the vehicle. You secure the pin to thevwall and push the bat down. Then push l washer like disk onto the pin. the disc grip the pin and they secure the material so that it does not shift its location.

J B Weld would be a good choice of adhesive. Yoou will likely need to trim the length of the pin.

If you dont know what an "insulation pin" is just do an image search or search on youtube.

My familiarity with them is using them to install the fiberglass insulation batts on Boeing aircraft before we put up the interior wall panels. No reason not to adapt that method of keeping insulation batts from shifting when putting them into a van.

Last edited:
What you are showing in those photos is "foam board". Thinsulite is the fabric like fluffy layer, batting, stuff they use inside of winter coats. It is used in vans as it is a very good alterntive to the fluffy fiberglass batting.
You are correct I was thinking if the reflctix layer under the foam.

I would think that the "Headliner" spray adhesive would work well, as it's made to adhere fabric to car metal in automotive conditions.