HipCamp

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostlnTransit

Reaction score
FYI, We've been using the Hipcamp app for some time now and although many of these places are merely located in people's back yards, there is a few actual camp sites with flush toilets and showers. Those we've found worth of using again, will remain hidden and remain a secret. Find your site today.

We've used Hipcamp a couple of times - once because we wanted to camp near the Detroit waterfront and once for a convenient location to attend a wedding. Both served the attended purpose very well. We've also stayed at two Harvest Hosts sites that were also Hipcamps - one I recommend highly for scenic beauty and reasonable price, and the other was fine but overpriced. Price is the main sticking point for me. Some of the sites are nothing but nice places to camp with no or little amenities but the prices are as high as a full-service campground. We're not fans of full-service campgrounds and would much rather stay at a primitive site but spending $40 or more for that privilege seems crazy.

What has been your experience?

With the hidden sites we've been using, we've been pleasantly surprised thus they will remain hidden. other sites, no so pleasant and we've gotten a refunds right away afterward. Out of the sites we've used, less than 2% are actuate to what is posted on the hipcamp site. because of these unbalanced ratio and due to health concerns, we're limiting our outdoor camp sites and stay in hotels.

^^^ Highly recommend super hosts with AirBnbs over hotels, usually cheaper and cleaner.

To anyone who might consider the airbnb type sites, your chances of being filmed/video taped is greater while using an airbnb dwelling than it is staying at a hotel. So unless you like to have big brother watching you, by all means stay in some strangers home..

Highly recommend super hosts with AirBnbs over hotels, usually cheaper and cleaner.
How much cheaper (ballpark-ish)?
And for the super ones, do you just look for some kind of badge on their listing?

I have not gotten into AirBnb (or Uber, or iCloud, or Fitbits, or DoorDash, I think I am stuck in approximately 2002 LOL), but I have a trip coming up, and my vehicle will be packed with my stuff, and hotels in my price range are not as fun as they used to be ... might be time to give it a try.

Actually AirBnb strictly requires no cameras to be inside the home, however outside security cameras are allowed. AirBnb listings come in all flavors from tents to mansions. Traveling singles usually do rooms for around $5 to $10 less than the cheaper motels. More people do whole houses with more beds and really save if the would require multiple rooms for as little as $200 a night. My wife and I usually do small condos or tiny houses for around $110 a night if in town where a 2 star motel room with a fridge costs $120. You do need to watch fees and cleaning costs. The super hosts are identified on the AirBnb sites and must have had no negative reviews for several months. The reviews are averaged and displayed as well, a 5 rating is perfect and they are usually first to appear in the search.

Last edited:
How much cheaper (ballpark-ish)?
And for the super ones, do you just look for some kind of badge on their listing?
It's extremely variable. In the US I've paid as little $40 for a 2 bedroom apartment or $20 for a room when the cheapest motel would have cost $60. But in some markets an AirBnB costs as much as a hotel.

AirBnB is often a LOT cheaper in Latin America because the hotels usually charge a "gringo price." For example, the first time I went to Colombia, a 2-storey furnished AirBnB in an upscale part of Bogota only cost $25/night. And in northern Baja California you could rent an oceanside penthouse apartment for $20/night. But now that everyone wanta to escape California, the same apartment in Baja costs $60 or $80.