Hightop install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netter

Reaction score
I have a question. On the inside of the van roof, there are cross members going across, how do they stabilize the roof after cutting the hole and installing hightop?

Netter said:
I have a question. On the inside of the van roof, there are cross members going across, how do they stabilize the roof after cutting the hole and installing hightop?

My installer built a 1x2 steel roll cage. It is bolted to the van where the roof was cut out. Some just epoxy the top to the remaining roof edge and screw it down. I'm sure other installers do other things as well

My first high top van didn't have much in the way of reinforcing except for the first rib behind the driving compartment.

This high top has the first rib behind the drivers seat and the last rib at the back of the van - it gives me storage in the high top that you wouldn't beliieve... :D as well as strengthening the side walls of the van.

It also has a welded 1/4" x 2" steel roll cage that is welded to the original van roof. It goes up and over the entire center section of the van where the original roof was cut out! I'm betting it's stronger than the original van roof!

Each manufacturer and installer of high tops does things differently from what I can see so it's important to get that information when you're choosing a top and an installer.

Netter said:

I opted out of the steel roll cage. The Fiberine top I have has wood reinforcements in the ceiling and sides (so that I can install solar, maxxfan, cabinets etc]. There are no crossbars, etc, supporting the top. But, the top is very strong and weighs a couple of hundred lbs. When I had my top Line-X’d, the installer walked on the roof. He said it was very solid and stable.