Highlander Hybrid?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimbopolo

Reaction score
Anyone traveling/living/camping in a Toyota Highlander Hybrid?

I looked at one yesterday and was considering it but still not sure how the AC works compared to the Prius. If the AC works similar and I can find a way to increase the on/off time of the engine to keep the AC running I am giving it serous thought.

What I love about them is that moonroof. It will make traveling/camping in them much better than a Prius, but it comes at a much steeper cost.

I hope people respond to your question Kimbopolo as I would like to know also.

It's my understanding that the A/C operates the same - based on the same platform. And there is a work-around for the "safety feature " of the engine shut-off. Someone posted this excerpt from the 2020 Highlander Hybrid owner's manual: "when the vehicle is parked, if the door is locked with the door lock switch(P. 183) from the inside or the mechanical key (P. 635) from the outside,the automatic hybrid system shut off feature will be disabled. The timer forthe automatic hybrid system shut off feature will be re-enabled if the driver’sdoor is opened."

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I am still weary but if it works it will be the best option for AC and boondocking. If Vegas poker opens up in June or July I think I will take a trip out there and rent a Highlander and test it for a week. If it does not work I will try a Rav4 in Vegas heat.

I also can not find more professionally converted Prius/Rav4/Highlanders which is a shame if they all work well. I am an engineer and am considering designing something. I want to live in it for a year or two first though and see what works and what does not. Small houses and other types of small living is become much more common and there are still no great kits out there for cars/suv conversions.

I have yet to see an extensive Prius conversion and I think they could be popular. Prius = $$, Rav4 = $$$ and Highlander = $$$$.

My biggest complaint is there is no 4Runner hybrid. I want something with offroad feature. Toyota did announce they will be releasing 2 new Hybrids in the US in 2021 but rumors say there is no chance one being the 4Runner. My house should close by end of July and I hope I have my plans ironed out before then.

I am interested in the same. I found a video of it running A/C parked and there is a rather annoying noise from the engine compartment that sounds like an air raid siren in the video. I assume it's an A/C condenser fan cycling. I have no idea how loud it is in real life though. (engine starts at 0:56 but that's not the noise I'm talking about) Here's the video:

[video=youtube]

In March, I upgraded my hybrid camper platform from a 2005 Prius to a 2007 HiHy. It costs more, of course, but I love it! (I still have a fondness for the Prius, too).

Were there still questions remaining I could answer?

Does your HiHy have a moonroof and if so do you use it for ventilation while camping?

It does, and I have.

Let me add, however, that most of my time in the camper is spent driving or sleeping. Therefore, I more often rely on the climate control (dewfall will do that). It's nice to be able to button up the windows, but still slide open the roof for a little starlight (although, streetlights are more frequently the case)

do not got that kind of money, I bought a 2001 Highlander for 5k with 151k miles full carfax. Hey Mike, wasup.