Hidden tethering method

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave2D

Reaction score
my new vlog i talk a bit about what i use for internet in my van

Im not up to date on the hottest trends in van internet ( if there is anything new ) but this was the top of the line method a 1.5 years ago when i first started dwelling!

for low bandwidth people :

hidden tethering tags using foxfi and PDANET  basically uses your phones data plan through a usb cord to your laptop hiding "tethering" which is something they try to charge you extra for just because you wanna hook your computer to your phone ~ then using tmobile unlimited 4g plan ( $95/mo)

~ links and extra info is in my video description on youtube

MetroPCS is owned by tmobile, uses the same towers and their unlimited plan is $60. Why pay $35 more for the same thing?

And it is against the terms of service for which you could lose your service unexpectedly.

Lost in the world said:
MetroPCS is owned by tmobile, uses the same towers and their unlimited plan is $60. Why pay $35 more for the same thing?

Tmobile also has "unlimited" plans starting at about $50/mo and I believe Metro follows the same principle. The catch is that "unlimited" does not mean unlimited 4G, it means that once you exceed your monthly allotment of 4G (around 5GB on $50 plan), you still get data but throttled to 2G or 3G speeds. The $95/month plan is unlimited 4G, no throttling.

Worth noting that Tmobile also offers streaming from many of the most popular services that does not count against your data plan at all. Not sure if Metro does this as well.

PDA.net works well but don't be fooled, it doesn't hide anything from the company. I have heard of people that got away with it a lot and people that have been busted barely using it.

It was about 9 months ago that I tried it. I didn't know of tethering agreements and such, just that my phones hotspot didn't work. About the time I was figuring out that it was against the terms, Cricket allowed hotspots and I was happy to pay the fee. I still use it on a few phones that their hotspot doesn't work but the plan allows for tethering.

Other options I have used are a MHL and OTA adapter that lets me turn my phone into a mini desktop with a keyboard and larger screen. You can get a inexpensive hotspot with a free gig of data a month and even free monthly phone plans that allow for tethering.

BradKW said:
Tmobile also has "unlimited" plans starting at about $50/mo and I believe Metro follows the same principle. The catch is that "unlimited" does not mean unlimited 4G, it means that once you exceed your monthly allotment of 4G (around 5GB on $50 plan), you still get data but throttled to 2G or 3G speeds. The $95/month plan is unlimited 4G, no throttling.

Worth noting that Tmobile also offers streaming from many of the most popular services that does not count against your data plan at all. Not sure if Metro does this as well.

You really have to pay attention to what you are signing up for and if it gets you what you want. Case in point is my TMO 5 gig hotspot with Binge on for $17 a month. A few weeks after I got it they changed the price to $15 and took off the Binge on. A savings if you don't stream but that $2 let me run 20 gigs of movies and you tubes through that hotspot last month.

BradKW said:

Metro's $60 plan is really unlimited, just like the $95 TMO plan.

Some of the shops have multiple unlimited plans. The difference can be if tethering is allowed or how many gigs you can tether.

There is fast, fast enough and chest thumping fast. Most need the second and want the third.

My Cricket is throttled, oh the horror. My TMO and Sprint devices are not. On a hot signal they can be twice or even four times as fast but you wouldn't know it. The 8 Mbps throttle on Cricket is fast enough for just about anything.

Here where the signals are weak the unthrottled devices are lucky to get 2-3 Mbps in the Sleek while Cricket still produces 8 Mbps with a half rake of signal.

So ultimate speed doesn't mean as much to me as roaming and coverage unless you are moving huge files.

in now way is this a fact, but from what ive heard, if you use foxfi's usb tether verses using the hotspot features its less detectable , and also PDAnet has 2 types of Tether masking , ( one says not reccomended , but maybe its worth looking into what they do exactly) , the other alternative is using yourKarma , anyone have experience with that? ( i thought yourkarma was supposed to be unlimited for a flat rate.. did they change it? looks like a shit deal now 140 bucks a month for 20gb LOL) and yes tmobiles coverage is kinda shitty but were it works it works

Karma had to close the unlimited hotspot program, they told people to stream and boy did they. Karma runs on the Sprint network.

Dave2D said:
im thinkin about trying this! ~ ive never seen a boost mobile store but i guess radioshack does it? but 55 sure beats 95 /mo with tmobile

I bought my last couple phones from Best Buy but you can find boost everywhere.  Type boost mobile into Google maps to find the stores.  I find best buy had better phone prices at the time for the phone I wanted.