Hi, new to the group

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feralgipsy

Reaction score
Hi! I'm 61 and have wanted to RV or live on the road full time since I was 12. What's taking me so G-D long? A feeling that I need to help everyone else first, and me last. I have everything I need now -- the 2013 Chevy Express with the no-build build and a mere 63000 miles; properties to rent as a source of income (but I undercharge for rent and still work to subsidize repairs... I'm, insane). What can I do to convince myself it's time to put me first?

If you wait for it to feel comfortable, you'll never do it.
Another way of saying that is: You are not obliged to feel comfortable before you start out.

Sometimes, if I'm trying to break out of a rut, or trying to overcome some hesitation that I don't really believe is valid, it helps me to (1) make a list of every reason not to do the thing, and (2) look at every one of those reasons thoroughly and unflinchingly. Are there any real concerns? If yes, address them. If no, grab your ear and pull yourself out the door.

For example, in your case, maybe -- just speculating -- you might give your tenants some warning of a rent hike, hire a property manager, get your vehicle a good trip check, take a self-defense class, get a better roadside-assistance plan -- whatever addresses any "real" worries you might have. If you're like me, you may go through that list three (or 300) times. Then once you've addressed each item, just give yourself permission to go.

I find that sometimes the things that seem like the biggest barriers actually take five minutes to fix, and some things that I barely gave thought to turn out to be big problems. You never really know till you sit down and stare the little gremlins in the eye.

The hardest part of any trip for me -- even the most happily anticipated ones -- is from my front door to the parking lot.

PS Also, if you haven't already, why not start with a couple of shorter trips just to get your feet wet?

Well heck you're an old hand then!
Good luck with the peeling.

Consider yourself fortunate, many persons have no other option except to move into their vehicle. Not my job to persuade you, it is strictly up to you to decide to climb out of a comfortable rut.

"Go forth and conquer"! (and have fun doing it)

Welcome!