Hi from TN-Doing it different due to disability

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vangoghtn

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Newbie from Tennessee here.  I've been addicted to van life videos for a while.  Then I had to buy a van to modify for disability and I decided to modify it for van life as well.  I feel super lucky that I was in a position to be able to buy a van.  I've already got a sleeping area and some storage bins and I plan on upgrading as time and money allow.  My van life modifications have to be easily removable and adjustable as I don't know what accessibility modifications I will need in the future.  No 5 gallon Jerry cans or large beds and cabinets for me, I don't think.  I'm weekending it for now but plan to go full time eventually.  Hope to go on my maiden voyage soon.  Plan to start out camping around TN (if local laws allow; I know it is illegal to sleep in your car here). Can't wait to read the stories and advice posted around here :).

Cheers,
--TVG

Welcome TVG to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Glad to have you onboard. sounds like you are a determined individual.

Highdesertranger

Welcome!! I understand modifying for a disability. Maybe when your up an running you can give an update!!

Welcome to the forum!

I use a rope thru the structural ribs with navy knots that I can pull myself up with as my safety device. If you have a lift, where is it mounted, on the side or in back?
-crofter

If you are driving distance to the Natches Trace parkway, the Meriwether Lewis Campground is free and has running water toilets. The parkway is a really nice limited access dual lane scenic drive and the campground is about halfway down it. I stayed there a couple of times when I lived in Nashville.

crofter said:
Welcome to the forum!

I use a rope thru the structural ribs with navy knots that I can pull myself up with as my safety device. If you have a lift, where is it mounted, on the side or in back?
-crofter

I just bought the van and am saving up for the accessibility modifications.  I think I'm going to get the lift on the side if/when the time comes.  My mobility is still pretty good right now.

shadowmoss said:
If you are driving distance to the Natches Trace parkway, the Meriwether Lewis Campground is free and has running water toilets.  The parkway is a really nice limited access dual lane scenic drive and the campground is about halfway down it.  I stayed there a couple of times when I lived in Nashville.
Thanks!  There are so many great areas in Tennessee.  The issue will be finding ones that are van friendly (though I plan on buying a tent as well).  I also work for the state and one of the benefits is discounts at all TN campgrounds/state parks.  Really looking forward to using that perk :).

Hello everyone,

Newbie from Tennessee here. I've been addicted to van life videos for a while. Then I had to buy a van to modify for disability and I decided to modify it for van life as well. I feel super lucky that I was in a position to be able to buy a van. I've already got a sleeping area and some storage bins and I plan on upgrading as time and money allow. My van life modifications have to be easily removable and adjustable as I don't know what accessibility modifications I will need in the future. No 5 gallon Jerry cans or large beds and cabinets for me, I don't think. I'm weekending it for now but plan to go full time eventually. Hope to go on my maiden voyage soon. Plan to start out camping around TN (if local laws allow; I know it is illegal to sleep in your car here). Can't wait to read the stories and advice posted around here :).

Cheers,
--TVG
One of our favorite free spots is on the Natchez Trace in Hohenwald. It's called Meriwether-Lewis campground and it's free. No hook-ups but there is water and restrooms. I don't know where you are but this is a pretty area and the Trace is a fun drive. There are a couple more free campgrounds in MS on the Trace also.