Hi everyone

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvgrandma

Reaction score
My name is Charlotte. I am a retired widow and travel with my dog. I been watching Bob's videos and others the last few weeks. My husband and I moved into our 2000 Sea View 34ft in 12/2004. We workamped until his AD forced me to park it. Now that he is gone I am ready to satisfy that travel 'itch'. 

I wish I had something smaller cause this is too big for 1 person but can't afford it. And, this is paid off. According to NADA it is only worth about $12,000 then I am putting in $4-5,000 to get road ready. I have been getting rid of 50 years of memories, then need to get new tires, oil and radiator change and mechanical checked out. Been parked for 8 years so in need of all that. 

Hope to be ready to head to AZ from Eastern Washington by fall. Then go from there. I realize because of the size I can't go to places I would like to but I can hang out around Quartzsite after I visit friends in Yuma. I am also hoping not to tow. I have a Prius we have towed for years but the hybrid batteries are going - I would rather not tow but get a Scooter or ebike to haul on the back.

Hi Charlotte, and welcome.
Have you started the motor yet?

Welcome to the CRVL forums rvgrandma! Please keep us updated on your plans to get on the road!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Charlotte. I winter at the LTVA in Quartzsite. Hope to see you this winter

Welcome to the forum RV grandma. Stick around become one of the gang and have some fun.

Welcome and it is great you are unloading those ties and finding your new future on how you want to roll forward! Love that!!

yea paid off...always a good thing and I get ya would love smaller but in the end.....to change you would need a truck tow vehicle for a smaller camper behind ya or put money into a van etc....and if you think about $17K you could do it....but it might not be what you want. A good van can be had for $17K but is it built out and more? older? and can you cargo tow a scooter? and more. Sometimes to change is alot of work and we are best to just stay put and enjoy what we got LOL I am sure you thought it all thru but still in that 'iffy' stage of what do I want? I get it but if you can fix that nice motorhome up and hit the road, you did well!!!

sounds like you are ready to roll and go for it :) wishing you the best!!

Hi Charlotte, and welcome from another widow traveling with a dog.

Even paid off, I suspect driving around a 34 foot is going to be more of a hindrance, IMHO.

Between maintenance and fuel costs, it may run you more annually than a van, and if it has been sitting for 8 years that would compound it.

And if you have a major mechanical issue, not only your vehicle but also your home will be dead in its tracks.

Just something to think about.

All the best to you in this new stage of your life.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :)

On another forum I visit there is a woman whose plight reminds me of yours. She wound up in a 20 ft all aluminum step van (a former bread delivery outfit) and she claims to have found her perfect rig with it.  She explained how she could drive it without being stressed out,  and there is plenty of space inside it for her to be completely comfortable.

I think the biggest question for those new to living like this is "where to go" in it. (without having to drive a day or two between locations and thus running up the mileage on the rig)

I would invite you to view the two links below.  They are all free, and to help make one's time on the road more safe, comfortable, and convenient.  The lower link works well for those who travel in the 2-2-2 system using the trip planner links in the links portal.

All the best

kklowell said:
Hi Charlotte, and welcome.
Have you started the motor yet?
I have been running it but now like I should. It had a full tank 8 years ago - down to just over a half. Only in the spring did I come out of my grief to start looking forward which included running the engine which used up a 1/4 tank. I was talking to this mechanic I know. He said to put more Sta-bil in it and speed tach which should help prevent gumming up the engine. I will know when I get rid of enough stuff to pull in the slides taking it down to an RV place 1/2 mile away. I won't put new tires on it until I find out the condition of the mechanics.

rvgrandma said:
 down to just over a half. Only in the spring did I come out of my grief to start looking forward which included running the engine which used up a 1/4 tank. I was talking to this mechanic I know. He said to put more Sta-bil in it and speed tach 
It has 8 year old gas in it? That's a very long time for today's gasoline. If it has a drain on the gas tank, I'd have the RV shop drain it and put new gas in there.
I'm unfamiliar with "speed tech"... is it like Sea Foam?  That's the product I'd recommend along with the StaBil.

Cammalu said:
Hi Charlotte. I winter at the LTVA in Quartzsite. Hope to see you this winter
Will be good to meet up with others. My MH goes in for mechanical check on Wednesday the 28th. Then I will have a better idea if problems.