Here's looking at you kid

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty and no more mice! We have Pygmy Rattle snakes here in southern Utah that seldom get over 2’, light tan almost white base in winter with dark tan to pink markings. Can’t miss the triangular head even if it is hard to see the markings! Locals call them “buzz worms” as the rattles are so small they make a buzzing sound almost insect like. The one in the picture has been around several years, doesn’t like to have his picture taken! Lol!!!

Attachments

• C3C9DF01-3AF4-4DF8-BF28-A7C55439C991.jpeg
    C3C9DF01-3AF4-4DF8-BF28-A7C55439C991.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
^We wondered if it was full of eggs.

Or maybe another snake swallowed whole?

Or several mice?

^RIP the snake,too. The homeowner took it out with a .38 since he was worried about his two pups.

I've never had snake meat, but it looks as if a head shot might have offered the opportunity for a number of meals.
Would be an interesting Thanksgiving dinner, wouldn't it? Either that curled up on a platter or a roast turkey you could just reach into and yank out, freaking out the family.
More leftovers for you! Many of 'em would run like hell!

He used snake shot rounds (buckshot). It weighed about 4 lbs. so there could have been a good meal for somebody. I've never tried rattlesnake either but for some reason I've always thought that it would taste like spam.

Shows my ignorance of guns since I gave them up post-Vietnam. A .38 with buckshot?
As for taste, Someone on the forum must be a connoisseur. Do we have to repost in the What's for Dinner? section, O Mighty and All-Knowing Moderator?
(no sarcasm intended; admire your work)

^I know my ex thought of me as a pest when we would discuss paying certain bills.

Last edited:
If you are going to eat them a long piece of rigid PVC pipe with a piece of small flexible steel cable attached to one end then fed through the pipe to form a loop on the end where it is attached then the other end of the cable attach a wooden dowel for a handle. Simply put the loop over the snakes head and pull till the head pops off but beware they still have muscle memory and the head can still bite you. Fixed correctly tastes like moist frog legs or rotisserie chicken. Every morning in the missile silos in Tucson they would collect in the access portal. Snake and eggs along with some salsa and toast with cactus jelly was a delicious breakfast for the crew back then.

Only had rattler once; same situation, a large critter who was in a spot that he (she?) didn't need to be- under my house.
Critter became rattlesnake gumbo.

I was trying to figure out what to compare it to. ^^^ you nailed it with the frog legs comparison.

^Western diamondbacks aren't protected in AZ.

Last edited:
Is there any state where you aren't allowed to protect yourself or your property from a wild animal? Even one with protected status?