Here again!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, a few years ago I went down to Walker Lake, Nevada to meet up with a caravan. It was a great experience - in a few ways.

It was great to meet such down to earth, kind people. It was great to clear my head and chose my next move after my divorce. And it was great to realize that at that point, the nomad life was not for me.

Now I'm considering it again, but it's more complicated. I'm no longer single and I have a step kid 😁😁😁! I love being a mom.

I'm here to assess my choices, daydream, and hopefully connect with nomadic families so I can better understand the kind of lunacy I'm contemplating.

Thanks!

One thing I love about this forum is its variety. People bring so many different things to it, and take away so many different things! And people from wildly different backgrounds get along with relatively little friction (hat tip to hard-working mods of course). Not too many places you can count on that these days.

I've been hanging out here for a little over a year, I think, and I'm finally about to take my first proper car camping trip (T minus 6.5 days and counting 🙃. The advice I've gotten here has been priceless.

I would love to hear more about people pursuing this path as families.

Enjoy the daydreaming and contemplation of lunacy!

There is a long history of families that travel for work or pleasure. It just doesn’t occur to many that this lifestyle is an option.

Thank you for the welcome Morgana and Bullfrog 😁

My incredible experience in the caravan has really shaped my understanding of the world. I didn't think people like that existed. A level of honesty I hadn't encountered before. Kind, practical. And helpful if needed, but seemed to realize that at times, mistakes are the best teacher.

You don't say how old your step kid is but if you're still in "I love being a mom" phase they're probably younger, Which means if you're going to be out for extended periods you'll need to learn how to home school and they will have to be willing to put up with that.