HELP

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb1996

Reaction score
we are getting ready to install solar panels today. i want to connect solar to our popup camper. Here is the sequence: panels to charge control, control to batteries (2 6 volt batteries in paralell)here is where i get confused, i want to wire the camper directly to the batteries. Will that work?

Does this help? Look at fuse placement also. I'm no expert on solar, so if someone disagrees or adds to pic, listen to them. Also, maybe a pic or two showing what exactly your doing. Best of luck!

yago100-f3-1.gif

Attachments

• yago100-f3-1.gif
    yago100-f3-1.gif
    35.5 KB
A lot depends on what is existing wiring and what powered it...

BradKW said:
A lot depends on what is existing wiring and what powered it...

the existing wires were connected to a battery, which we replaced with 2 6 volt deep cycle batteries, I want to use solar to charge the batteries not sure how the old battery charged there is a switch inside the camper that says converter and battery we want to boondock camping which is free so we need a source of power

2 6v batteries wired in series not parallel makes 12v. you want 12v like in the diagram Wabbit posted. you want to wire the batteries in SERIES. then you just hook it up like the old battery was. another point read the directions on your solar charge controller a lot of them require you to hook the controller to the battery first then the panels 2nd. if you hook up the panels first you will fry your controller. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
2 6v batteries wired in series not parallel makes 12v.   you want 12v like in the diagram Wabbit posted.  you want to wire the batteries in SERIES.  then you just hook it up like the old battery was.  another point read the directions on your solar charge controller a lot of them require you to hook the controller to the battery first then the panels 2nd.  if you hook up the panels first you will fry your controller.  highdesertranger

You beat me to it.

Yes, in order to have the 12v system you need for the pop-up camper you need to wire the batteries in series. 12v batteries would be wired in parallel to retain 12v power. 

When I hooked mine up I just re-attached the positive wire to the terminal on the first battery like it had been before. Do you already have wiring installed? Did you unhook any wires when you removed the original battery?

The old battery powered some lights and a pump and was charged by the converter. If you connect the new 12 volt (6 volt pair) to the same spot then the old stuff should still work. If you get a shaded camp spot that has power you can plug in and set the switch to the convert position. Otherwise leave the switch in the battery position.

With emphasis, connect panels to controller last. Connect controller directly to battery not directly to converter. The two charging sources can coexist just fine.

There is the possibility that the converter is broken and will put a load on the battery. Use a meter and measure the not charging in the dark battery current. One light on, other light on, both lights off. The lights should be an amp or two, both off should be zero amps.

FYI
Two batteries in series double the voltage but have the same amp hour rating.
Two batteries in parallel double the amp hour rating but have the same voltage.

AND it can't be stated too often.
Battery to controller first and panels to controller last.
Reverse the sequence to disconnect.

DuneElliot said:
You beat me to it.

Yes, in order to have the 12v system you need for the pop-up camper you need to wire the batteries in series. 12v batteries would be wired in parallel to retain 12v power. 

When I hooked mine up I just re-attached the positive wire to the terminal on the first battery like it had been before. Do you already have wiring installed? Did you unhook any wires when you removed the original battery?
the only wires were a negative and a positive wired to battery, that is the only wire. so if we are wiring the battery for series what do we wire the 2 solar panels series or parallel?

Deb1996 said:
the only wires were a negative and a positive wired to battery, that is the only wire. so if we are wiring the battery for series what do we wire the 2 solar panels series or parallel?

Someone with a little more knowledge than me about solar will have to chime in on that one but I believe you can do either, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Deb1996 said:
..what do we wire the 2 solar panels series or parallel?..

Depends on what your charge controller can handle. What solar panels? What charge controller? Where will solar panels be placed?(like on roof or on a longer run of cable to reach sunny spots)

So what solar panels do you have? Link?
What charge controller do you have? Link?
And the the answer as to how\where will the be placed?

Deb1996 said:

With some solar panels, you block (shade) a few cells, and it stops producing.  for this reason it is always best to set them up in paralell.  Each panel goes into a branch connector then the wire into the controller.  Make sure you are buying the right connectors,  Some are different.

https://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-...qid=1490156802&sr=8-14&keywords=solar+wires+y

highdesertranger said:
2 6v batteries wired in series not parallel makes 12v.   you want 12v like in the diagram Wabbit posted.  you want to wire the batteries in SERIES.  then you just hook it up like the old battery was.  another point read the directions on your solar charge controller a lot of them require you to hook the controller to the battery first then the panels 2nd.  if you hook up the panels first you will fry your controller.  highdesertranger

we got it all set up, lights and water pump work but now the outlets don't work, not sure why. Here's what we have. 2 100 watt solar panels connected to a wanderer charge control which is connected to the batteries, wired in series, then we have the existing battery wires wired to the batter. switch inside camper is set for battery :huh:

Deb1996 said:
we got it all set up, lights and water pump work but now the outlets don't work, not sure why.

Are the outlets 2 prong 120 volt ac  or are they round 12 volt cigarette lighter sockets?

Garrettwolf said:
Are you full timing in a pop-up camper, I'm just curious.

not full time yet, can't convince hubby, so at least we can get out of the heat for 3 or 4 days a week, I want to do full time, it just makes sense

Trebor English said:
Are the outlets 2 prong 120 volt ac  or are they round 12 volt cigarette lighter sockets?
yes on the 2 prong, not sure if they are 120 or 110 we hooked up an inverter and they work now, crazy

Did you connect the camper's plug in to the inverter? If you did you can probably set the converter to convert and charge the battery using the inverter connected to the battery. That will drain the battery in short order.

I just bought a pop up myself, trying to get wife use to the idea,. Not going to be easy. Lol

Maybe my questions are mute. Won't take it personal, best wishes to get your solar going. I'm out.