Hello, possible lifer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 31771

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a 38 year old single guy that's pretty tired of corporate life. I make good money, compared to working retail, but, man, I don't really feel like it's worth it.

I'm currently working on a way to go full time in my GMC Yukon. Right now my plans include buying a small cargo trailer, throwing a cot in it, and building a method of making money online (I'm currently building a small game that I'm going to sell on Steam). I've been plotting out ways to keep a 500W computer running for about 8 hours a day so I can get work done on it and bring in the money :)

I'm here from Bob's videos on YouTube. Spend my free time out camping in national forests out of my truck, and taking long road trips. It's pretty great. Hopefully I'll get more ideas out of this forum that will help me get on the road full time that doesn't involve me becoming an OTR trucker.

I just wanted to close this by saying yeah, work sucks. Corporate life stinks! Everything you do is micro managed, by people who have no business working with the tech you work on. Non corporate work sucks too. You get a job at a retail outlet like Walmart or Dollar General and your life is ruled by megalomaniacs with no regard for your personal space or time.

It doesn't make any sense to me. The only thing I really know is that I'm happy when I'm on the road, visiting new places, and making new friends, and that's my goal.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Sounds like you came off the same trail I was on at one time.  Using my rig on the job was what made it
bearable for me.

The first link in the signatures is "Van Conversion".  (below)  At the top of the page is a link to "My Own Story" (about my corporate days)

In the Matters of the Heart section,  there is a thread "Choosing to Be Single and on the Road" you may find interesting to read the stories of others there.

In the Off Topic and Chit Chat,  there is a thread "Education and Skills needed to work from your rig".

You may want to look into becoming a small businessman (single proprietor) to serve as a contractor and have numerous tax advantages as you work from your rig.

Welcome to the forum sounds like you’re on your happy track. The only advice I would venture to say is save save save. The one regret I have every day is thinking I don’t have enough money to replace or do a major repair to this vehicle if I need to. That can discourage you in everything you do. Welcome to the forum.

DisillusionedRat said:
Hi. I'm a 38 year old single guy that's pretty tired of corporate life. I make good money, compared to working retail, but, man, I don't really feel like it's worth it.

Hi there, I'm brand new too, just bought a Class-C RV and spending a few weeks outfitting it for hitting the road and also working online full-time in the software industry (startups though, not corporate) ... still... only... for a while after I take off. I want to ensure I have enough emergency funds saved up, then I'm "retiring" from the digital worker world if I can, or at least go back to freelance working for myself again. If you're looking for some solid advice on the best mobile internet for full-time digital nomads, I like these people a lot: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

I totally get you, the corporate/tech world is a complete "rat race" on an endless treadmill (hey I think I get your username haha). The sooner we can step off that treadmill and live on the road without 50-60 hour workweeks the better. 

Cheers!

I think that finding a way to make enough money on the road, so that you can travel and live a dream, is a transition from one job to the next.

My children are older than the OP, and if one of them had this idea I would tell them to go for it.

But, first get your ducks in a row.

Make sure you have at least $5,000 in a savings account, and adequate income to replenish it if you need to dip into it for repairs or another emergency.

Harm no one in your leaving...no unpaid debt, abandoned mortgage or rental contract, student loans, etc.

Being a responsible member of society makes life easier in the long haul, as I do firmly believe that what you do, how you handle yourself and your responsibilities, etc., will be reflected back at you in your quality of life.

The time will likely come when you will want a sticks and bricks again, for whatever reason, and how you manage things in your nomad life will impact that.

Do the right thing, in other words.

Good luck to you.