Hello from the East Coast, Maryland / Pa area

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98jeeplover

Reaction score
New to this forum and wanted to say hi. Im a 41 year old, single male and use a 2000 GMC Savana cargo for work and my home. I was a master certified rv technician for 12 years living in my brick house and thought the full timers where nuts. Man was I wrong! Love the freedom and independence this life style provides. I've seen things and been places that I never would have before. Would love to hear back from others especially any in the area.

Welcome to the CRVL forums jeeplover! Have you converted your van? We love pictures and how-to-do-it posts so please tell us more when you get the time.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

My family is in Md. I grew up there, but visit pretty often. Was just in town for Xmas visit two weeks ago. Was also there in august. Why did you choose the gmc savana? Share some of that juicy knowledge! How is your mpg looking? Reliability? Did you make any notable modifications? Thanks for your post!

Welcome;
glad to have some more East Coasters.
Vandweller & a couple RV's
sparky1 in southern Va.

LifeInEveryBreath, I bought the Savana when I was living in a house to use as a work van early this spring. Its a 3/4 ton with a 350 motor. Easy to work on, parts are readily available and it could pull my jeep on a trailer when I took it to a legal offroad park in PA. I haven't had any issues with it since I bought it. I'm mechanically incline and changed ALL of the fluids and filters 3 times within a short period of time to flush anything out. I used it to haul my Jeep to Michigan. Both the van and Jeep where FULLY loaded. I installed a, cut down to fit, butcher block work bench, plastic storage bins, a small inverter and a comfy office chair. Since dropping off the Jeep and my personal belongings at a relatives house there I've driven down to Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, up to West Virginia, down to Florida and now back up to Maryland during the last 4 months. Not sure the exact mileage but I've been pleased with the van with just normal maintenance. With the exception of a recently added flat screen and a 2x4 wood platform for an air mattress you wouldn't be able to tell it was used for anything other than work. It gets moved every day and all items are secured in place with ratchet straps for safety. I don't want a ton of junk flying towards the back of my head in the event of an accident. All the doors are accessible as to where I can open them without moving anything out of the way. Mileage is'nt the best maybe 15-16 on the highway.

98jeeplover said:
New to this forum and wanted to say hi. Im a 41 year old, single male and use a 2000 GMC Savana cargo for work and my home. I was a master certified rv technician for 12 years living in my brick house and thought the full timers where nuts. Man was I wrong! Love the freedom and independence this life style provides. I've seen things and been places that I never would have before. Would love to hear back from others especially any in the area.

Hi 98Jeeplover, welcome[emoji779]️
I'm in northeast PA, near Jersey and NY. About six months or so ago I bought and build a cargo van to live in. There's a thread on that build and also have a YouTube channel "Rolling Earth-Ship" in case you're interested in some ideas, but there's many others here with van builds you can learn lots from. [emoji106][emoji604]

LifeInEveryBreath said:
My family is in Md. I grew up there, but visit pretty often.  Was just in town for Xmas visit two weeks ago.  Was also there in august.

Hello, LifeInEveryBreath. Glad to find people in Maryland. I really want to meet all the nomads out west, but I hope to make a life in and around New England. Desperately hate the hot summers where I live now. I think I can fit in pretty well wherever I go as far as stealth camping. But I hope to find the Eastern equivalent to the BLM and NFS lands where Bob and so many nomads camp out west.l