Hello! From southern Nevada

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty

Reaction score
98ACEAAF-99AF-49E6-AAE7-FBE8ABD5C159.jpegHi! I’m Kitty, I’ve been full time van living since July 2022. I have a 19ft 1989 Winnebago Warrior that’s just the right size for me, my cat and small dog. We’re camping at Lovell canyon just outside Vegas and will be heading to Pahrump in the next day or two to hopefully meet with other RV folk and get advice on a number of repairs that need pretty urgent attention!

Hello Kitty!

(I think there is a meme for that!)

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to hearing from you in your adventures!

Welcome Kitty.... it's great to have you here with us.

Sure wish I was there, instead of here.

Pirate Camp is in Pahrump

Basin to Higley(Turtle Sign).....Turn LEFT on Higley......Three Power Poles turn RIGHT into the "NotWash"Copywrite RV naut

Brown OverDamnSized RV....Truck Campers......White vans...........I'm in the Tall Transit

Group Dinner THURSDAY .....Pot Roast and Sides........Welcome

Pirate Camp = lots of advice on some “but not all” types of repairs. Most of the opinions are worth at least a few grains of salt (or sand) as Abnorm is a true salty Pirate. Minus the pillaging and other undesirable stuff. His wife Paulette has a civilizing influence on him.

Last edited:
Pahrump has some odd street naming. For instance, on Google maps, Higley Road is identified as Justin Lane at the intersection with East Basin Ave north to Grieco Way where it reverts to Higley Road.

Another anomaly is Glencove Ave, which runs from W Leslie St to NV-160. The street sign at Leslie has "Glencove", the street sign at NV-160 says "Glenclove".

Pahrumpians.

Howdy Kitty and others here. Figures folks are gonna have a Pirate camp in Pahrump now that I'm no longer in S. Nevada.
Anyway, enjoy. :)

Hey howdy! So what’s the weather like in Texas? I’ve never been and would love to visit sometime when the weather is good.
February, early-1970s.
San Antonio at Fort Sam for dog-handler school at the cop-shop.
80°f on a Tuesday.
12°f and freezing fog on a Wednesday.
60mph gusts the rest of the week.
Kitty,
Could you make it on a Tuesday?

^^^Left last week of December for Christmas leave 1969 in summer uniform(1505s) and 80 degree plus temperatures, came back a week later to foot thick ice on chain link fences and blowing ice in 60 mph wind at Sheppard AFB first week of 1970. Heard the cry of the kee kee bird as in kee kee Christ it’s cold! Lol!!! Seems like everytime I go through Texas the shifter knob is about to melt off and my tennis shoes start melting on the floor boards or it snows sideways!

Last edited:
Texas is a very large state. It does not have uniform temperatures across the state. There are not reliably predictable winter temperatures due to storms that come screaming down through the Midwest plains from the artic regions.

^^^Left last week of December for Christmas leave 1969 in summer uniform(1505s) and 80 degree plus temperatures, came back a week later to foot thick ice on chain link fences and blowing ice in 60 mph wind at Sheppard AFB first week of 1970. Heard the cry of the kee kee bird as in kee kee Christ it’s cold! Lol!!! Seems like everytime I go through Texas the shifter knob is about to melt off and my tennis shoes start melting on the floor boards or it snows sideways!
Oh my gosh that reminds me of the weather back home in south wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 you could get 4 types of weather in a matter of hours! Lots of damp and rainy days there. I love the predictable weather here 🌞😀

Amend that to mostly predictable weather. Some years it gets cold and snows in Southern Arizona. Artic express storms. But there will be advance warning. I was traveling across Arizona in January of 1984 and stopped in Tucson for 2 nights because it was snowing. I was very lucky to find an empty motel room because a big city wide mineral show was going on. There was one right in the meeting rooms of the motel, spectacular stuff to see! Glad it snowed or I would not have had the fun of seeing it.

Last edited:
Welcome Kitty! I would like to ask you the same thing about Arizona weather. Yes, Texas is large and the weather varies significantly from place to place and day to day--except when it doesn't.

My daughter shops the gem and mineral shows in Tucson every year, and promises I would love it in February. The issue for me, though, might be crossing Texas that time of year. I simply do not drive in show or ice any more.

Happy travels, wherever you go!

Triggered my memory of driving 40 foot, 55 passenger, GMC bus through an ice storm in the Texas Panhandle in November of 1976. I grew up in Minnesota, so very familiar with ice and snow, came of age for a learners permit in December. The snow remains on the side streets in the Twin Cities until late March.

The issue for me, though, might be crossing Texas that time of year. I simply do not drive in show or ice any more.

I-20 and I-10 across Texas in winter are generally dry and no problem for travelers...except of course, if you happen to be there when a winter ice storm decides to grind traffic to a halt. But those events are generally short lived and tend to happen only once or twice per winter....'usually'.

On the other hand I-40 across the Texas Panhandle can get really messy several times each winter, as it's farther north AND a lot higher elevation.

The gulf coast beaches in Texas are a destination for many during the winter months. There is also the “Valley” along the Rio Grande near Mexico. That area has a lot of winter citrus crops with the same growing season temperatures as found in Florida and California. Springtime warm temperatures begin in mid February in the hill country. Charming small towns to visit but not a lot of free dispersed camping. You will have to do some research to find free or affordable camping in Texas but there is some free beach camping.