Hello from southern BC!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miranda

Reaction score
I'm a bad person and did not post a topic here first, my apologies. I am a young full-time RV living wannabe living and working in southern BC as a professional dog training instructor and kennel worker. Wanting such a thing stems from my love of camping and the outdoors, and my loathing attitude towards renting your life away (yes, I realize in the next sentence I talk about living in an RV park which is like renting, but bear with me here). What I see happening in the near future is first, learning a whole heck of a lot about the FT RVing lifestyle, especially surviving through winters (because while the idea of living tiny and on wheels is not new to me, RVs are), finding and financing a travel trailer, and moving into a local RV park within walking distance of my work with my dog and boyfriend in the next year. Honesty time: financing is the only way for us to go, and we are looking for minimal payments and a used travel trailer under 20,000. Now, I don't know how reasonable or unreasonable that sounds, to find a travel trailer well equipped enough for southern BC winter's under that price, so help me out if you can. And yes, eventually the goal is to be able to be off-grid with solar and propane. But while we are both still paying off student and business loans, and while there is a deadline of winter to my current housing arrangement, we are somewhat limited financially. As in our time to save money is coming to a close. We are working with a savings of 5,000 (mine), to be spent on a down payment and other FT RV living necessities (which are...?). Despite being skeptical I can even pull this off, considering the limitations I am working with (pertaining to knowledge and finances), I am optimistic, hopeful, and as much as I am allowing myself to be, excited. Now, break it to me fellas. What's the reality here? The reality on my end is I will do just about anything to avoid renting, and that's besides paying for a spot at an RV park, as long as I'm putting money towards something that will eventually be mine 100%, I'm okay with that. And in a couple years times my work contract will be up and I will be able to move if I do so desire, whether that means moving to a cheaper RV park, or outfitting a trailer with all the off-grid necessities and renting cheaply on acreage, or one day having our own land. But at least I will be putting money into my own home and living the dream.

Welcome to the tribe. Good to see another dog professional too. I've been grooming, showing, training, etc for 45 yrs now.
Have you looked on craigslist yet? You can find a pretty nice travel trailer for the money you have saved now. My opinion, financing, especially for that large of an amount is a bad idea. And even more so with other debt.
Your expenses with FT RVing...... park space rent, which will vary as to where you are. Propane..... I'm in Olympia, WA, so if you're in the Vancouver area, similar weather, winter about $30 per month, summer, $15. I'm in a 24' TT poorly insulated, but with skirting. Electric averages $35. Some parks offer free wifi and basic cable. Sewer, garbage and water is always included.
You'll find lots of info here and lots of folks more than happy to help.

Welcome to the forum and it's nice to see someone from B.C. I've been wintering in S. B.C. for ages (mostly Osoyoos) and it's not all that hard. If you have the time/inclination, a rig can be made much better by upgrading the insulation. Many are stick-frame with near 'token' pink fibreglass insulation.. which is near useless. I've peeled the outside sheet aluminum in a few campers and replaced it with rigid foam, which makes a vast difference throughout the entire year. Covering the windows with translucent coroplast during the winter will cut down on heating bills. Replacing the newer style furnace with an older convective type will cut down electricity use drastically during the winter. The main thing to watch out for is excessive moisture--> mold. ..Willy.

I'm also in Southern BC. The best place in Canada to live mobile, I believe.

One Awesome Inch said:
I'm also in Southern BC. The best place in Canada to live mobile, I believe.

Where are you roughly? Wife's family is in Abbotsford.