Hello Fellow Nomads!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShariInArizona

Reaction score
Hello!  I am a 57 yr old widowed woman who lives in Tempe, AZ in a rented townhome with 2 cats and my daughter.  I have 2 older children that are out on their own. My late husband and I with my 3 children have lived in 2 different sailboats, and 3 different campers:  a 37 ft fifth wheel, a conversion van with a pop up camper, and a Class C.  So I am used to small living spaces.  

I thought I had 2-3 years before needing to and wanting to move into vehicle when my 16 yr old daughter leaves the nest and our SS Survivior Benefits end Feb 2019.  Now, all of a sudden, since she has decided to take a GED test and leave the nest early I have about 13 months.  Due to the huge drop in income next year, I am stepping up my actions to move into a van or small RV.  I am living paycheck to paycheck with a small savings account.  I am financially upside down in my only vehicle, a 2015 Nissan Sentra.  I have some passive income besides my full time office job.  

I am trying to prioritize what to do first, what to purchase first, while I still have my full time job and a paycheck.  How do you recommend I use this 13 months wisely.  What vehicle?  How do I afford to buy a vehicle?  Any advice gladly accepted.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Sharilyn!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Please note, I removed your duplicate posts in the other two forums.  Just one post is sufficient.  Thanks.

How much you can save is what matters the most. You will save more when you leave your current living situation. Are you going to keep working? As a safety net I would start trying to car camp out of the Sentra. You can likely remove, and store, the passenger seat to make a sleeping area for one, but that isn't practical for two.

Car camping is a good way to figure out what you really need. Something that can tow the Sentra and isn't used much might well work for you. If you need to be stealthy and camp in town you will need an appropriate vehicle for that, like a white cargo van or a box truck. If your husband can still drive the two vehicle strategy likely works better and you won't even need to tow.

I don't know exact distances, but it shouldn't be outrageous to commute to a more rural camping spot - most certainly at least on weekends. Car camping now is a way to get a feel for that. You might also consider looking for a job in a smaller town where safer camping is available closer in.

Stealth camping is a bigger subject and will be scary the first few times you try it.

I agree with DLTooley. How much can you save. Otherwise...start selling "stuff" you don't need. Put that money in savings. Cut off non essential things like cable/sat tv. Sell the microwave even (Not feasable to me in van/car for a few reasons). Get used to living without. Start minimizing. Picture yourselves camping in your apt. I suggest keep look out for van/short bus/ shuttle bus now. If it's in good shape etc. If you sell enough stuff to buy the vehicle you "Need" then it will be there for you to test out what fits etc. And push come to shove..let the other car go back to the bank when you make the "jump". If you have credit card debt etc ...you may end up ruining your credit by "walking away" from all that debt. Change your cell numbers so the bill collectors don't bother you too much. I had to do this 10 yrs ago. My credit is back up to 750. This is not a great option.But desperate times desperate measures. IF this is the route you go...try to move all the bills etc that will be defaulted into one persons name. Hopefully it will only ruin the credit of one of you. IDK..I never been married or had children. But most of all get the other vehicle first and if you go to default route...don't put it vehicle in your names. Title it in your kids name or something. Hope this helps.