hello everyone

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BENNIE188

Reaction score
<p>&nbsp;H<em><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">ello everybody , i am new to this site ,but i believe that it will be very helpful in helping me live my dream. I&nbsp; am just getting into rv living full-time , and have plenty of questions concerning the overall lifestyle. I was involved in a serious workplace accident and was rendered fully disabled back in 09. I expect to begin receiving my disability within the next 6 months and plan to use my backpay to purchase a rv. I am considering&nbsp; buying a class A motorhome large enough to house myself and maybe a mate later on . I was interested in any type of websites or reading material that&nbsp; would make this easier . Since i would be new to this type of lifestyle i would like any advice from someone who has been into this for awhile. I would be mainly traveling in the southwest as my home state is NM. So i plan on traveling in NM and the surrounding states.Any info on the best campsites and parks in the NM area would be great . Also thoughts on the type of rv would be good also.I would be living full-time in my rv and would be on a budget . </font></em></p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Welcome, Bennie</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Since you will be prowling arouind NM, you should go to the blog posted almost every day by RV Sue and her crew. She has visited many NM sites and describes them well&nbsp;(with lots of pictures). Here's a link.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><a href="http://rvsueandcrew.wordpress.com/2011/08/page/2/" target="_blank" target=_blank>http://rvsueandcrew.wordpress.com/2011/08/page/2/</a></p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">PS - Anyone here who has not been following Sue and her crew (Spike and Bridgette) has misseds a good time read. She posted here back when she was just about to acquire her new&nbsp;Casita Travel Trailer, and has been full-timing since around July 2011.</p>

Bennie hang in there waiting on Social Security Disability. It's a long road of broken promises but in the end is worth the fight. It took me over 3 very stressful years to win my case. Best of luck with that and the future.

Welcome Bennie - New Mexico is a great place to camp. Get a yearly camping permit , only $100.00 if you're a disabled resident ,then you can camp for free or very inexpensively. <a target="_blank" href="http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/prd/feespermits.htm">http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/prd/feespermits.htm</a><br><br>&nbsp;This is a good site to check for BLM land and national forest camping spots - <a target="_blank" href="http://freecampsites.net/attribute/states/nm/">http://freecampsites.net/attribute/states/nm/</a><br><br>&nbsp;If you're planning on primitive camping or boondocking ,get the smallest RV that you feel comfortable with. Look at as many as possible. Go through the motions of daily living - sit on the toilet ,get in the shower ,pretend to cook ,eat ,sleep ,watch TV-make sure it all works for you. Holding tanks amounts should match the fresh water tanks. Bigger is better of course. At least two house batteries and solar panels. Large screened windows on opposite sides of the RV for good ventilation. Adequate roof vents for more ventilation and fan installation.<br><br>

Hi Bennie! Welcome!<BR><BR>I used these link, in part, to make my decision with regard to a vehicle.<BR><A href="http://blog.rv.net/2008/09/how-to-choose-the-right-rv-for-you/" target=_blank target=_blank>http://blog.rv.net/2008/09/how-to-choose-the-right-rv-for-you/</A><BR><A href="http://www.woodalls.com/articledetails.aspx?articleID=153271" target=_blank target=_blank>http://www.woodalls.com/articledetails.aspx?articleID=153271</A><BR><A href="http://www.rvsleuth.com/" target=_blank target=_blank>http://www.rvsleuth.com/</A><BR><BR>Even though I knew I wanted a Class C, I continued looking at other RVs if they fit my criteria (ie: a rare 22 ft. Class A, light weight travel trailers, Class Bs that could tow a trailer.)<BR><BR>My final decision was based on my belief that a Class C is cheaper to maintain and repair and provides a little more mobility.<BR>

<p>&nbsp;THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR GREAT ADVICE AND I WILL CHECK INTO THE YEARLY PERMITS. I PLAN ON STAYING IN THE NM AND CO AREA FOR THE FIRST LITTLE WHILE AFTER STARTING MY ADVENTURE . I HAVE DREAMED OF LIVING A LIFE WITH NO TIEDOWNS AND CANNOT WAIT TO BEGIN . I BELIEVE THESE FORUMS WILL BE A GREAT HELP. AS TO THE QUESTIONS OF BOONDOCKING AND CAMPING I AM AFRAID THAT MY INJURIES MAY RESTRICT MY OFFROADING SOMEWHAT. I AM IN THE MARKET FOR A SMALLER CLASS A RV MAYBE A 24 FT OR SO . DUE TO MY CONDITION I WOULD NEED A FAIR AMOUNT OF ROOM TO BE ABLE TO BE COMFORTABLE AND NOT SPEND&nbsp;A LARGE AMONT OF MY TIME IN PAIN. ME AND SMALL CRAMPED QUARTERS WOULD NOT WORK . AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES AND I HOPE TO LEARN SOME OF THE BETTER SPOTS TO BEGIN MY NEW LIFE. ALSO IM HOPING TO KNOW ABOUT MY&nbsp;DISABILITY SOON.&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;I HAVE LOOKED UP THE ANNUAL PERMIT FEES AND YOU WERE RIGHT . BEING DISABLED I CAN BUY AN ANNUAL PERMIT FOR 100.00 AND THEN I CAN HAVE A SPOT WITH BOTH ELECTRIC AND SEWER FOR ONLY 8.00 A NITE. GREAT ADVICE GUYS AND LADIES OF COURSE. I PLAN ON LIVING FULL-TIME IN MY RV SO&nbsp; THIS KIND OF DISCOUNT WILL REALLY HELP MY BUDGET. I WOULD ALSO BE INTEREST IN PRIMITIVE CAMPING ALSO AS THAT I HAVE DONE IT ON AND OFF SINCE CHILDHOOD. I LOVE TO CAMP AND FISH THRU THE NITE. ONLY NOW SLEEPING ON THE GROUND IS JUST NOT AN OPTION. I PLAN ON KEEPING MY RESIDENCE IN NM SINCE IT IS ALREADY SET-UP. SO I GUESS I NEED TO CHECK INTO MAIL FORWARDING. BUT SINCE MY CHECK ARE NOW DIRECT DEPOSITED AND PLAN ON HAVE MY SSA DEPOSITED ALSO MONEY SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM. BUT MY ACCOUNT NOW IS WITH BANK OF ALBUQUERQUE. WHICH BANK WOULD BE BETTER ? I NEED ONE WITH ATMS AND BRANCHES OVER A LARGER AREA.</p>

I have a 28' class A, you can go to my blog for pictures and things I considered when shopping.&nbsp; I am still in the process of getting it set up, but have been fulltiming for 6 weeks now.&nbsp; <br>

Hi Bennie, welcome to the forum. There are many on here that are from NM, Az, and the area. Bob, the owner of this site is one. Unfortunatly, I can't help you with that, I have spent my entire life on the east coast. You can check out the yahoo group, " vandwellers" or, if you are inclined to build out your rolling home, "vandwellersconstruction"
Les

<p>I VISITED YOUR SITE BLARS AND THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT. NICE LOOKING RV BY THE WAY. I AM LOOKING AT ONE SIMILAR . COULD YOU GIVE ME AN IDEAL AS TO HOW MUCH INSURANCE WOULD BE ON THAT SIZE RV ? IF THAT MAKES YOU UNCOMFRONTABLE THEN I UNDERSTAND . ALSO DOES THE INSURANCE RATES CHANGE MUCH IF YOU ARE A FULL-TIME RESIDENT RATHER THAN ONLY PART-TIME.</p>

<p>I BELIEVE THAT THE 28 FT WOULD BE IDEAL FOR ME SEEING AS HOW IT WILL BE JUST ME . WITH ROOM FOR ANOTHER IF I DECIDE TO TRY THAT RAT RACE AGAIN.[JUST OUT OF BAD RELATIONSHIP].I WAS CONSIDERING A POSSIBLE SMALL REMODEL . REMOVING THE EXTRA BEDS TO INSTALL MORE STORAGE SPACE .ANOTHER CONCERN FOR ME IS INTERNET SERVICE I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE CRICKET PLUG IN CARDS THAT YOU PAY FOR MONTHLY. HAS ANYONE TRIED THESE IF SO HOW WAS IT ?AND I WAS THINKING OF GETTING A SMALLER FLAT SCREEN TV&nbsp; BETWEEN 20 AND 40 INCH ARE THESE REALLY THAT BIG OF A POWER DRAIN? WOULD AN EXTRA HOUSE BATTERY SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? SORRY BUT I LIKE MY TV . AND WAS THINKING ABOUT DISH NET. </p>

&nbsp;A 24 - 28' RV should be plenty big enough for you. Ours is 25' and the two of us are very comfortable. One thing that&nbsp; I'd recommend ,if you want to open up the space a little, is to cut down the dinette to half size or remove it completely and install some sort of work desk /dining area. There's little reason to have a large dinette blocking the living area when most of the time it doesn't get used. Even if you have guests most of the eating or entertaining is done outdoors.<br><br>&nbsp;We have an AT&amp;T card for our internet ,about $60.00 a month. It works great. There are some that are less expensive and also ways of tethering smart phones to the computer - maybe someone else can chime in on those options. Just check the coverage area before you buy to make sure you'll have coverage where you'll be spending most of your time.<br><br>&nbsp;We kept our residence in Pennsylvania. It's not ideal for low taxes but not as bad as some of the other states. We use our friend's address and they also forward our mail. We kept our hometown bank. They've always taken care of any problems that we've had -much more personal service than a big bank but we have to pay fees every time that we withdraw money from other branches so we take the maximum out at a time.<br><br>&nbsp;You must buy fulltimer insurance for your RV. I don't know whether it's a lot higher than regular insurance. Ours is about $1,000 a year.<br><br>&nbsp;You definitely will want to have more than one house battery if you're planning on doing any primitive camping. TVs do use more power than any of the other RV components. Check out 12 volt models so that you don't lose power converting&nbsp; to 120 volts.<br><br>

A 24 - 28' RV should be plenty big enough for you. Ours is 25' and the two of us are very comfortable. One thing that&nbsp; I'd recommend ,if you want to open up the space a little, is to cut down the dinette to half size or remove it completely and install some sort of work desk /dining area. There's little reason to have a large dinette blocking the living area when most of the time it doesn't get used. Even if you have guests most of the eating or entertaining is done outdoors.
<BR><BR>We agree. (DW and I, not using the 'royal' we...).&nbsp; We have no need for a dinette, and plan on removing it from whatever we get and putting in two comfy chairs and a small table. We found a 28 foot Class C to be the ideal size for us.<BR><BR>We have a mobile internet device that allows 8 devices to connect to the net simultaneously. It also connects to the wireless printer. That way we both can access the net at the same time. (iPads). $50 a month for 6 gb. More than we use.<BR><BR><BR>

Insurance rates are based on a lot of strange factors, mainly state and city of location (even when fulltime), but also things like credit rating.&nbsp; So the fact&nbsp; I pay $700/year for fulltime insurance doesn't mean much to you.&nbsp; (I am now officially an Oregon resident.)<br><br>For internet I use a Millenicom usb stick with the advanced plan.<br><br>I chose an RV with no dinette, but I will remodel the bedroom to get rid of the "RV king" bed and add a desk.<br><br><br>

<p>&nbsp;blars when you say that you pay 700 a year for full-time insurance&nbsp; do you have full-coverage with content also for that price ? or is that just straight liability? </p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;i was also considering removing either the dinette or the fold out couch to make room&nbsp; for&nbsp; cabinents for storage. i was wondering what type of backing most rvs have behind the paneling . would there be some sort&nbsp; of studs to screw into or would i need to go directly into the metal for a good hold ? i was also&nbsp; thinking of removing any type of carpet in the living area to replace with either some type of plastic flooring or going ahead and installing a polished true wood flooring with a insulating floor pad under it. any suggestions?also i was wondering about some sort of insulation for under the rv<br></p>

&nbsp;Wall construction on RVs varies. Some are made with studs and standard insulation between the outside sheathing and the inside paneling. Some have walls that are vacuum bonded. The walls are put up as one piece - outside sheathing ,foam board insulation and inside paneling all bonded together. Sometimes the bonded walls have fewer studs than other types of construction but you should still have a few places to screw into. Finding them might be the problem.<br><br>&nbsp;Carpeting in RVs is a really stupid idea. We have a commercial sheet flooring with area rugs. A lot of people install the click into place floating floors that resemble wood. They all seem happy with the results.<br><br>

<p>&nbsp;thanks for all the info guys . im going to look at a class a monday looks to be around 25 ft . and a late 90's model. its been sitting at a rv storage site for a little over a month and i've been wanting to stop and look . so i'm going by on monday.i will&nbsp; get the make and model so i can get some insurance quotes. what is the difference between full-time and regular insurance? how would the insurance company know if i live in it or just vacation some?</p>

Regular assumes you have a homeowners or renters policy to cover things like theft from the vehicle, and may deny coverage if they find you have been away from the 'garage' address many months.<br><br><br>