Heating Lots of Water

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
There's been some ongoing discussion in several other threads about bathtubs.

If anyone needs to heat LARGE quantities of water, Partner Steel makes the specialty burners for doing that quickly and efficiently.

http://partnersteel.com/prod05.htm

Partner Steel is an American company, that, as a sideline, makes the worlds best  - and, alas, most expensive - camping stoves.  Heavy, welded stainless steel cases, heavy brass burners, etc.  Damn near indestructible. They are already an institution in the whitewater rafting world, and are now making significant gains in the overlanding community.

They must be REALLY expensive: any company that coy with their prices has high ones.

They don't sell them directly.  They're essentially a small welding company, as I said, this started as a sideline.  The owners were looking for a way to keep their help employed during the off season.

You Google for their stuff and a bunch of whitewater supply houses and so on come up.  Some of their stuff is on Amazon (Is there anything that's NOT on Amazon?) but not at the best price.

A stove I've been looking at is $335 at Amazon, but I've found a small whitewater place that has it for $260

The large pot and large heat source takes up a lot of storage room in the van............as well as needing a large water supply.........and space for the tub inside the van...............let's try another way

Maybe the tub/trough (or hot tub) could travel on a swing-away hitch mount........and then be moved into a pop-up hunters tent for bathing use

Perhaps you have access to a large supply of non-potable water like a lake or stream..........................Using a Shur-Flo 12v pump (and proper water filtration to protect the pump) and some hoses you could fill the water vessel (tub) with cold bathing water

Then using the same pump and reconfigured hoses and an On-Demand propane water heater like an Ecotemp.......... you could recirculate the tub water thru the heater to gradually warm the tub and keep it at temperature

doug

or,,,,and this just came to me,,,,,,just spit ballin here,,,,,,get the big burner and,,,,,,this is genious,,,,,,an aluminum canoe,,,,,,EFFING genuious,,,,the possibilitys are endless,,,talk about multi purpose you could be fishin, bathing all at the same time

solar hot water heater can be made by putting a 25 foot coil of copper tubing into a shallow wooden box ( no top ) filled with roofing tar . The tar heats up and heats the water in the tubing . If you run the water medium slow the water coming into the tubing is heated as it passes through the hot tar . You could roof mount or just pull out to use like your suitcase solar panels .
a 50 foot version will work for your sticks and bricks