Hauling Non Fixed Solar Panels.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailer-t

Reaction score
I just got  2 x 200 watt solar panels that I don't intend to mount on a vehicle roof --at this point.  They look pretty fragile with the glass.  I plan to just pull them out and set them up to use mobile --mostly on my lake lots.  The solar system is already set up in my cargo trailer with two 225 ah 6v golf cart batteries (wired in series to 12 volt) and a 40 amp renogy mppt controller, a 600 watt sine wave inverter, and 12 volt fuse box-  etc .  Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of how to protect the panels in transit?   Like a padded bag or something?  They are like 27" w +/-  by 58"  tall +/-.  I was thinking of just securing them on the futon in my cargo trailer or the cot in my SUV.   I was wondering if just putting them in sleeping bags would do, but thought I would ask for any better ideas or solutions out there to secure them in transit or protect them.   Thanks in advance.  trailer-t

Do you still have the cartons that they shipped in?

You might be able to use those...remove the foam or cardboard 'corners', tape the cartons together, leave one end open, and slide the panels in for transport.

You will likely be storing them glass face against glass face. Put a soft, thick, piece of fleece fabric between glass faces. Then use soft webbing band clamps to hold the panels together so they don't shift. Make sure they can't slide off the futon and that nothing can fall down onto the panels. That should be sufficient to prevent damage to the glass.

You can purchases fleece fabric by the yard at most any fabric store or you can purchase a fleece throw or blanket. The non pilling type of fleece does not fray at the edges when it is cut so no sewing needed to make it a custom size. Good time of year to buy fleece as it is deeply discounted now that winter is over.

That glass is probably a whole lot tougher than you would think.

Most all of them are built to withstand hail up to something like 3/8" diameter IIRC.

You might want to check with the manufacturer for the safety specs on your panels.

I carry my Renogy Eclipse panels with the piece of styrofoam sheet that one was packed in nested between the two glass surfaces. They are packed in tight enough that they won't move while in transit.

Carry bags would work too but I don't think you need to design them to be bullet proof, just easy to carry and store.

All good comments here. Thank you. I do have the boxes and packing stuff that I can use for a short while, but ultimately the cardboard will get wet as there is no room left to store inside if I am set up. I like both suggestions of the fleece covers and also the styrofoam middle layer and will likely do a combination of both (wrap each panel with fleece and Styrofoam sheet in between. My styrofoam is like 1/2 inch so I may get some 1 inch just to be safe. Looks like facing glass side to glass side with layers in between is the most stable. then secure to the futon frame somehow. Probably overkill but I know little about the construction of these things. Thanks Again.

Thanks, Another great idea on the yoga mat. Looked at them and just ordered a yoga mat on amazon 24" by 70". Rolls up into a little roll can be used as a pillow. Only 1/2 inch thick but pretty dense and with the fleece blankets I have ordered from Walmart it will get it done. Thanks to all for the help.

I don't think much padding is needed. I think the bigger issue is keeping them from wiggling around, sliding back and forth, etc. It's the movement against other things and each other that causes wear and tear. So I'd want to strap or clamp or wedge them in some way.

i wouldn't want a moving blanket anywhere inside my vehicle. have you ever smelled those things they stink, who knows what the are made out of. highdesertranger

I have already ordered the fleece blankets and a yoga mat. Also am keeping the foam plastic sheets the panels were shipped in
--not Styrofoam but real spongy, rubbery, pliable stuff about 1/2 inch thick.. I taped two of those together with gorilla tape and just those would probably have done ok on their own, but I can also use the blankets and the mat for other stuff when not used on the panels. Thanks

I mounted two of my panels on the side of my coach. They can be tilted up while in place or removed and set out in the sun using extension cables.

0cZf9kv.jpg

I would never mount panels on the side, I would tear them right off. my trailer isn't even 1 year old and I already have desert pin striping on it. highdesertranger

I threw my panel on the dash and hooked it up. It is still there.  -crofter

highdesertranger said:
I would never mount panels on the side,  I would tear them right off.  my trailer isn't even 1 year old and I already have desert pin striping on it.  highdesertranger
I started with one panel on the side ten years ago and have never had a problem. It's hard to imagine a situation where you would tear off a panel. You can always remove the panels prior to going into a spot that might be a problem.

highdesertranger said:
i wouldn't want a moving blanket anywhere inside my vehicle.  have you ever smelled those things they stink,  who knows what the are made out of.  highdesertranger
Lol

"It's hard to imagine a situation where you would tear off a panel."

come follow me around I will show you how. I have lost count on how many antennas I have tore off or how many times I have caught branches in ratchet straps that tie gear down. I have even broken a side window on one of my trucks.

highdesertranger

Tom_M said:
I mounted two of my panels on the side of my coach. They can be tilted up while in place or removed and set out in the sun using extension cables.

If you can remove them without a lot of effort, so can someone else.

The first panel I installed I added keyed locks that were meant for use on a sliding door. I didn't bother with the second one. If someone was going to steal my panels they most likely would wait until I set them out in the sun. I never lock them up at night. Perhaps I've been lucky, but they haven't walked off yet.

Tom_M said:

0cZf9kv.jpg
In this image your panels certainly appear to be well mounted.

Here's a couple of pix. The pins at the bottom are aircraft type safety pins. The side columns are rectangular aluminum tubing that are attached to the fiberglass coach sides with stainless steel sheet metal screws and PL Premium construction adhesive

WMMLONH.jpg
PbUmS72.jpg