Harbor Freight Wheel Chocks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelmonkey

Reaction score
I bought a pair of HF's Rubber Wheel Chocks.  Nice and heavy, they should be great for securing my travel trailer.  They absolutely stink of a strong chemical smell, though.  I heard from someone to leave them outside for a few days and the smell goes away, but not the case for mine, yet.  

Anyone use these?  What did you do about the smell?

I use them. I've been using them for about six months. They still smell. I put them in the trailer when I am towing so I don't have to smell them in the truck cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with an angled cut off chunk of lumber?

Mine have been out in the rain and sun for a few weeks and are more pleasant to live with.

Leave them out side in rain and sun. They will off gas and not be all that bad. I don't notice mine unless I get right on top for the smell test.

I have a pair also and with the same problem. Right now we are still in our house and so I keep them in the garage. At first the smell was terrible and filled the whole garage. but now after a month of ownership the chocks themselves still stink, but not as bad and does not stink up the whole garage. What others have suggested about leaving them outside for extended periods of time may help. I thought the smell was limited to the chocks, but I have noticed the same oppressive smell on another product as well, so it looks like one gets a little something extra special with HF purchases.

At least people that borrow them bring them back!

ha ha another reason to bottle that HB smell and spray it on the stuff people borrow It gets returned

I was watching a video on wheel chocks. For my little travel trailer and small vehicle I am going to get urethane chocks. Unlike rubber they don't smell and they are also lighter in weight. I do have to be careful about what I buy to keep the weight down.