Hammock instead of bed?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayd888

Reaction score
Greetings! 

This is my very first post on this forum, so please bear with me...

I built a camper van a while back but sold it - and have regretted it ever since. I plan to build another one soon and maybe even take the plunge and go full time.

Now, on this build, I'm going to forgo the bed and sleep in a hammock instead.

My thinking behind this decision is that a bed is one of the most expensive and space-consuming parts of a build. And it's only used for a few hours a day, then just sits there, taking up space for the rest of the day. 

I understand that it gives people a bunch of storage space underneath, but I feel that there are more efficient ways to build storage than under a bed. 

I've been sleeping in a hammock every night because of back problems, so I'm already a "veteran hammock sleeper" - l've also slept a few times in the hammock in my minivan and found it very easy and comfortable. Here are a couple of pics of the setup: 
20161119_144251.jpg

20161119_144248.jpg

Has anyone else thought about doing this? 

I'd really to hear other people's thoughts on this. 

I searched the forum for this topic and didn't get any hits, so please excuse me if I somehow missed an existing thread on this.

Peace.

Ray check your PM's I already PMed you once about posting links and you did it again. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Ray check your PM's I already PMed you once about posting links and you did it again.  highdesertranger

Got it. Sorry about that.

Everyone I've personally known who used hammocks have switched to beds.

I like your logic Ray. I'd rather sleep on an Army Cot (with foam mattress) rather than (an electrical energy) conductive steel spring mattress.

How much do you weigh Ray? A light person is better for almost any alternative. Please give some details about where you mounted your hammock end-supports at! Hell yea, I'd rather have fold down shelving rather than fold down bed. Thanks for the post.

breeze said:
How much do you weigh Ray? A light person is better for almost any alternative. Please give some details about where you mounted your hammock end-supports at!

OK, when I've set the hammock in the minivan I simply pinched each end between the passenger door and the rear door on the other end. This was temporary, so I didn't use any permanent hardware. 

I'm 5' 10" and weigh 150 pounds wet, so it's easy for me to sleep in a hammock almost anywhere..

I do plan to set up some permanent U type hardware in my next build. 

I once lived in a tiny studio apartment and also slept in a hammock. This saved me tons of space while also solving my back problem.

MrNoodly said:
Everyone I've personally known who used hammocks have switched to beds.

I've found that there's a trick to sleeping in a hammock. You have to sleep sideways, which makes the surface flat underneith your whole body. 

The other trick is to leave enough sag. Hang it like a smile... Not pulled tight. This is very important so you can comfortably lay sideways (diagonally) . 

Also, you have to give it about 3 days to get the hang of it. After that, you sleep like a baby in a cocoon.

I used a hammock almost exclusively back in my hiking days--I did much of my backpacking in Pennsylvania where it is really rocky and tents can be a problem to set up. With a hammock all I needed were two trees.

The biggest difficulty I found with a hammock is all that air flow under you. Nice in warm weather to keep cool: not so nice in cold weather. There are various pads and sleeves and such that are supposed to deal with that, but none of them ever seemed to work well for me.

I keep a hammock in the van. It's great when camping to set up somewhere and relax and nap. But I've never liked sleeping overnight in them. I much prefer a bed. Especially the memory foam mattress I have set up full time in the van.

I can see the convenience of the hammock and how easy it would be to set up and take down. But you have to really like sleeping in a hammock for it to work.

Every time somebody suggests sleeping in a hammock, my lower back hurts.  :p

I'd wake up in agony if I slept the night in one.  That's a very unnatural position to put your spine in.  No support at all.

^
Depends on what's wrong with your back. I havea degenerative disk and the curve of the hammock relieves pressure on it and it feels great. There are other problems though, so it's not a solution for me.

For $68 complete, it sound like it deserves a try. Most posters usually say it does or it doesn't work for them. Ray on the other hand gives specifics from his long period of expertise. I have slept in all kinds of irregular setups, and don't like the regular mattresses usually, but know of one I may. Still, I'd rather forgo the huge mattress markup (rip off) if I can find a hammock to support my big butt, lol. Also. the Murphy bed construction is something I'd rather not waste my time with all the compromises that comes along with it too.

All van bedding is a compromise of space, function, and convenience. The flexibility feature is great with a hammock and would be an immense improvement immediately for me.

Welcome aboard Ray! Give that man a Reputation Point or two, however you do that (??)
:D :D

Not all hammocks are the same. My Warbonnet Blackbird has a footbox which flattens out the lay. Sleeping in a hammock without a under quilt will be cold.

breeze said:
For $68 complete, it sound like it deserves a try...

All van bedding is a compromise of space, function, and convenience. The flexibility feature is great with a hammock and would be an immense improvement immediately for me.

You can get good hammocks cheap on Amazon starting at about $20: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013E58QIK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ofADAbS1Q24RC

The thing is to get nylon so it doesn't stretch, which gives you great back support.

Another thing I forgot to mention is to use a small and thin pillow - normal pillows bend your neck up too high. Also use a pillow or a cushion under the knees, which helps lay flat. I get knee pain if I don't do this. 

I've taught several friends with back pain to sleep in hammocks and they haven't gone back to beds.

Because this has helped my back issues so much, I always tell everyone about it. I wish I had found out about this years sooner. It just takes an adjustment period, and if it works for you, it's awesome for small spaces like a tiny home or van. 

Big T: [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]That's a very unnatural position to put your spine in.  No support at all.[/font]

Actually, if you learn to lay in it sideways (diagonally), it gives you better support than a bed. 

I do know that it's not for everyone though.

slow2day said:
^
Depends on what's wrong with your back. I havea degenerative disk and the curve of the hammock relieves pressure on it and it feels great. There are other problems though, so it's not a solution for me.

It's funny how every back is different.  I have DDD too, but curving my back to the shape of a hammock spells certain death for me.  

Unless I were to lay on my stomach.   :p

You want a wide hammock, 60-120" WIDE that is hung as mentioned. The smile shape is so you can lay basically crossways in the low part. It is part of the learning curve to find how much you want it to sag and what angle slightly off center is most comfortable. In a sufficiently wide hammock it is possible to lay on my stomach.

Rayd888 said:
You can get good hammocks cheap on Amazon starting at about $20: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013E58QIK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ofADAbS1Q24RC

The thing is to get nylon so it doesn't stretch, which gives you great back support.

Another thing I forgot to mention is to use a small and thin pillow - normal pillows bend your neck up too high. Also use a pillow or a cushion under the knees, which helps lay flat. I get knee pain if I don't do this. 

I've taught several friends with back pain to sleep in hammocks and they haven't gone back to beds.

Because this has helped my back issues so much, I always tell everyone about it. I wish I had found out about this years sooner. It just takes an adjustment period, and if it works for you, it's awesome for small spaces like a tiny home or van. 

Big T: [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]That's a very unnatural position to put your spine in.  No support at all.[/font]

Actually, if you learn to lay in it sideways (diagonally), it gives you better support than a bed. 

I do know that it's not for everyone though.

Thanks Friend! I've been waiting for someone that knew what they were talking about with hammocks: I knew it was going to be sooner or later on this site - there are lots of smart people here. I've definitely had enough to keep me busy. Building a vehicle (living) system(!) is the most complex thing possible. I don't and can't usually do it like many others here, but I try to learn how to do it so I can supervise it correctly. No one can build a 500 repetition learning curve (to be an expert) in one trial installation, im(t)o.

It makes perfect sense. Nylon is what winch straps are made of  for thousands of pounds (if it does not rub hard corners and fray.) I'll just have to line it with a soothing form of polyester material (like a comforter.)

Anatomically, I can see the angle supporting the head perfectly on the (right) side (for several anatomical reasons.) I always do use a pillow between my knees to keep leg veins at the knees from getting crushed (I'm an old fart.) A pillow under the knees for laying on the back, or under the shins for laying on the stomach is how acupuncturists align patients body weight to sit for up to approximately 30 minutes for a good  therapeutic session. But since it is laying on the side, maybe between the knees will be all I need. It's easier just to simulate or try it first :D

Thanks again! I got mine ordered from your link already.

Thanks for your kind words!

I grew up around hammocks, so I have warm place in my heart for them. (I'm another old fart! Haha). 

I agree with your notes on using pillows between the legs. I also use it between my knees when sleeping on my side. That helps a lot. 

Play around with your hammock when you get it and let me know if you need any more pointers. Ask here so others can answer too and so others can benefit from the task well. 

Peace!

Ray,

Have you hung one in a van yet? I am guestimating 2 hooks (to at least partially distribute the weight) per end from a back corner to the opposite bulkhead corner behind the passenger seats. The Navy guys probably know all kinds of knots to make it better (Is so, SPEAK UP!)

The hammock package just has one hook per end and says up to 400 lbs. I got an extra set of 2 steel hooks from Amazon to get me over the free shipping con with 2 extra hooks (I probably need) and 2 nylon straps (?). I'm starting to get a few of nylon towing straps, lol. I don't know if I'll ever use them, but I am ready, for now, if I ever need them ??

If you want really good advice on choosing a hammock, hanging it for good sleep and outfitting one for the van, head on over to hammockforums.net.

They're the experts on this stuff.

I made all my own hammock gear thanks to the people there who did all the engineering.

I love my bridge hammock. I just don't get enough time in it, particularly here in the Arizona desert...hanging from shallow rooted trees and saquaro cactus' is not in the plans.... :D