Halfmoon Road - An amazing place- ruined by the locals

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvNaut

Reaction score
this is an awesome boondocking location... well it is, until the locals show up on Friday afternoon with their ATV, and the dust storm begins. While it is pleasant and peaceful Mon-Thur.. on the weekend it is an uncontrolled PARTY for the locals. I picked up two bags of trash this week.. beer cans chips bags diapers, broken glass everywhere.. and not even a pretense of any enforcement, let alone any rangers..

I would avoid this are and maybe Leadville in general. I sort of expect this is Q ... but I thought I would be away form the assholes and their ATVs up here in Colorado....

I advised the the USFS to just close it liek they were talking about last year, because of abuse. I also mentioned that if they are not going to even try to slow people down in the vans/cars/trucks... just remove the 15mph signs...

what a shame...

..and to white the country and the NFS have just poured 3 weeks of crader and gravel trucks at this road... it must be costing hundreds of thousands, and the locals just use it as a race track... oh look, here come the assholes on atvs again.. what a disgrace...

UTVs drivers do seem to be particularly ill-mannered. I have a theory about this:

• a dirtbike requires some skill to avoid death or dismemberment. But anyone with a credit line can crank up an UTV, start slinging dust, buzzing campgrounds, and blasting the stereo.
  • UTVs cost a lot and can't be used often, so By Gawd when they have a weekend they're going to get "muh money's worth" by tearing stuff up
In my experience adventure bike riders are the polar opposite: attentive, careful, respectful of the land and others.

Just had a group of locals come into the area myslef and 2 other nomads are in.. set up 40' from us and proceeded to have a party , including a 4wheeler and the dust and people arring doing slide in the dust... as if we weren't even here... a staggering lack of situation awareness... 100's of acres to choose from... I mean.. if it was me, I would find a place away from others, not right next to them... they left a few hours later.. leaving massive clouds of dust...

The solution is create ATV-Free zones, along with ATV allowed zones...