Grocery spending win!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravella and X

Reaction score
Having nothing much to do while waiting out the wind, it occured to me that for the first time in my adult life, I was feeding only myself while at Quartzsite. So I sharpened a pencil and opened my statements and did some figuring....

My groceries came to an average of $27.27 per week, or $3.90 per day, or $1.30 per meal.

I'm posting this here in case this is a big question mark for any new members prepping to take off on their nomadic life. But also posting because I'm so thrilled that I feel like I am winning this game!

I have taken into consideration the food and meals given to me, and decided that it is likely about equal to the food I have given away.

I ate well. I did alter my diet by starting to follow the medeterranean diet right about the beginning of this period, so I cut way back on animal products. I do not feel deprived because of it, and my blood pressure went down to the point that I am no longer on drugs for it (which is a health win AND saves money!)

If it sounds like I'm bragging, my apologies. I might be. But also I want to encourage others : )

Congrats Wahine! That's the way to do it.

Cheers!

The federal food assistance program states a daily budget of $1.50 per meal per household member. Of course cooking in quantity does help keep that budget under control. Plus some meals cost less than others so really one aims towards an average cost per day or week.

One thing I noticed there is a lot of free food in Quartzsite, especially at the moment as people are cleaning out their food pantries at the end of the season. The community thrift store has shelves full of free food. The discount expired food grocery stores are giving food away. The local food bank appears to have a surplus as well.

It's not bragging. It's inspiration. For those who have already given up, here's an example of what's possible.

I probably average three times that a day on food, I wish you would show us how to eat on the Med. diet for $3.90 a day.

CamperI probably average three times that a day on food, I wish you would show us how to eat on the Med. diet for $3.90 a day.

This lady can do a better job of showing you:

https://www.leannebrown.com/cookbooks/

I am positive that this link has been posted in these forurms before -- but probably mostly in the food and cooking section. One thing that has really helped me has been learning how to store veggies well so I'm not throwing away slimy goo that used to be veggies. Funny how I had to get old before I had the time to learn the important simple stuff.

Latest posts