Greetings from Georgia!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingHof

Reaction score
Good Day Everyone! It's cold and rainy here at Indian Springs State Park in GA.
web-profile2020.jpg
I am traveling in a 2007 Gulfstream Conquest 21' with a Nissan Leaf toad on a dolly.
In mid-July 2020, the airline I worked for saw a tremendous drop in travel revenue and asked employees to consider taking an early leave from the company. I had been there for 15 years, saved some money, and received a small inheritance from my late Grandmother. I decided it might be a good time to take a chance on adventure and make a new life in my 40's.
Over the past several months I cleaned out my house and put it on the market for sale. The closing is this Friday, and I'm on my maiden voyage while I wait for the sale to close and get through the holidays.
I'm currently seeking volunteer camp host positions in Georgia for January-March 31st. I'd like to save some money on camping fees, and get some experience as camp host in the state park system.
In Spring I plan to head west, stopping in Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado, and Montana. It's an ambitious trip, and I haven't planned it all out yet, but these are the places I'd like to visit out West.
The length of my journey will depend on what I can find for work later in the year. I was a senior web developer (frontend) for 13 years, and a senior business analyst for 2 years before deciding to leave the company. I hope to be able to find freelance work helping small companies improve their online marketing and business presence. I am also interested in joining other travelers who do freelance, and contract IT work. I feel like my experience, work ethic, and business knowledge could be helpful to any team.
Let me know if you'd like to chat about anything. Especially interested in meeting other travelers in GA over the next few months.
I'm still settling in and acclimating to the life, so I don't mind the alone time.
I have 1 cat, 15yo, and 1 dog, 1.5yo. I like meditation, music, NPR, and podcasts. I am also active in a men's support group, so let me know if you know a man that would like to get involved.

Attachments

• web-profile2020.jpg
    web-profile2020.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 6
That was a really good introductory post. Welcome to the forum!

Because of your work experience, I think that you might benefit from joining Escapees, then Xcapers -- which is a club within a club for the working set. There are many, many Xcapers working from their RVs doing the kinds of things you're looking for. But for sure stay active here- there is a nice vibe here on this forum. :)

Oh! If you do decide to join Escapees, pm me first so I can refer you!

Welcome! I left in February as a full-time nomad and I spent some time in the Chattahoochee Forest in March/April this year. Send me a PM if you’re interested in free dispersed campsite locations up there.

I’m currently in Quartzsite Arizona and made my way here via Florida, Texas, Colorado, Utah, & Nevada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome travelinghof. I certainly hope you find what you’re looking for and enjoy the west. I am a single man in Florida near Sarasota and I would come up to Georgia to meet you but it might be too cold up north it’s almost 80 here today. Smile. God bless the nomads east and west.

Welcome TravelingHof to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Ravella and X said:
That was a really good introductory post. Welcome to the forum!

Because of your work experience, I think that you might benefit from joining Escapees, then Xcapers -- which is a club within a club for the working set. There are many, many Xcapers working from their RVs doing the kinds of things you're looking for. But for sure stay active here- there is a nice vibe here on this forum. :)

Oh! If you do decide to join Escapees, pm me first so I can refer you!
Thank you for the warm welcome, encouragement, and recommendations for groups. I will certainly get involved soon. In addition to adjusting to "the life", I'd like to create a blog or document my journey somewhere, and as well get involved in the social community. I'm finding that time still goes quick, even when living simply in an RV or Van. I look forward to joining Escapees as I find my wings and begin to fly. Will reach out for a referral when the time comes. Thank you!

Thank you for the warm welcome, encouragement, and recommendations for groups Ravella and X. Not sure why the reply isn't below your post, but at the bottom of the page. I will certainly get involved soon. In addition to adjusting to "the life", I'd like to create a blog or document my journey somewhere, and as well get involved in the social community. I'm finding that time still goes quick, even when living simply in an RV or Van. I look forward to joining Escapees as I find my wings and begin to fly. Will reach out for a referral when the time comes. Thank you!

talcon said:
Welcome! I left in February as a full-time nomad and I spent some time in the Chattahoochee Forest in March/April this year.  Send me a PM if you’re interested in free dispersed campsite locations up there. I’m currently in Quartzsite Arizona and made my way here via Florida, Texas, Colorado, Utah, & Nevada. 

Thanks, Talcon. Nice to hear it's going well for you. Sounds like we're on a similar wavelength. I'm not looking for dispersed camping in the North Georgia mountains given that I have a tow dolly and those roads can be tricky. Thanks for the offer, though. I will reach out for recommendations as I get into flatter and dryer country. Is Quartzsite the place to be? I've seen it mentioned around and it sounds like the RV and Vanlife Mecca. Any chance it becomes overcrowded?

-TravelingHof

nature lover said:
Hello and welcome travelinghof.  I certainly hope you find what you’re looking for and enjoy the west. I am a single man in Florida near Sarasota and I would come up to Georgia to meet you but it might be too cold up north it’s almost 80 here today. Smile. God bless the nomads east and west.
Indeed! I enjoy the cool weather, but certainly trying to avoid freezing temps. I was born in Michigan and spent my first 12 years there, so I have an affinity for cooler weather. My nose, and ears don't sting when cold because those nerves were dulled many years ago in Michigan winter ;) Enjoy Florida!

Hello, TravelingHof,

I've just been dabbling in car camping and working out my mini-RV lifestyle in the last couple of months, but I think I've been inclined that way my whole life. I grew up crossing the country in a station wagon with my large family, and my ears still get cold :), but I am very content on the road.

Many people took the time to say "hello and welcome" when I made my first post about 5 weeks ago, so I will carry on the tradition even though I am a complete newb as well.

I was interested in what Ravella and X wrote about the Escapees group. I'm wondering if it is specifically for computer geeks or for people who are earning their living while on the road. I am not retired and will have to figure out a way to earn a steady income.

I have thought about getting a cat for this adventure. I have always wanted one but have a daughter with asthma so a cat was not an option. Everyone seems to have dogs. Would you be willing to share with me how it goes with your feline friend and what tips and experiences you learn about maintaining your kitty's (and your) sanity and safety on the road? I would really appreciate it.

All the best,
Clair de Lune

Xcapers is a club within a club. They are just working age RVers. Its just my observation that many of them do work from the road in the tech field. But there are also those who earn their living on other ways, too.

I am a run of the mill grey haired Escapee. Here is a link that explains the group better than I can:

https://www.escapees.com/community/xscapers/

I've never posted links in this forum and dont know if that will be live from a quick reply. If not, copy pasta!

TravelingHof said:
Is Quartzsite the place to be? I've seen it mentioned around and it sounds like the RV and Vanlife Mecca. Any chance it becomes overcrowded?

It depends on where you want to camp here. The closer you get to town the more crowded it is. I am south of town and my friend and I are the only two rigs in sight for a few miles. The town of Quartzsite has everything you need also except a Walmart (30 minute drive away to Parker). They have a free landfill transfer station, lots of water stations generally $1 for 5 gallons. There’s a place in town called the RV pitstop you can get everything done all in the same place including propane refill. They have a big RV show starting up in a few weeks, and there are tent areas all over the city with vendors. If you need any dental work done, Los Algodones is close

The big draw for somebody with a camper like yours (aka pump-outs) are the long-term visitor areas or LTVA’s. You pay a $180 fee and you can stay for several months. Trash, dump and water all close on site. I stay in the free sites further out (with good cell service) and move every 14 days. Lots of space to camp between Yuma, Quartzsite, Bouse, and Lake Havasu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravella and X said:
I am a run of the mill grey haired Escapee.

Uh. I think I’ll have to call you out on that fib.. I saw you today...

Welcome!! Deep south born and raised, here.

Do you mind posting the name, and focus, of the support group?

If so, how about a PM?

Welcome, enjoy your new adventures and freedom!! Nice rig in the background of your pic!

Do a search for out workamping jobs in a browser. Also, at the Big Tent in Quartzsite in January the consessionaires usually have booths hiring for seasonal work and can hire you in the spot for next summer. Also, coolworks.com lists a lot of seasonal jobs. I once saw a listing for a DBA for a cruise line for the summer in Alaska.

As a computer geek I had fairly good luck picking up part time work through TekSystems. I worked through them in Nashville, but I think they are nation wide. A lot of it was software/hardware refresh jobs in larger corporate setups that lasted from a day to a couple of months. Easy way to pick up some money somewhat quickly. They can be a gateway to more permanent stuff. Also a good way to get to know the employment in an area.

Another company I used to get short and long term assignments from is Robert Half. I verified both of these placement companies have locations out here in AZ as well as other places besides Nashville, which is where I worked for them.

I wish I could just leave my job and let daily whims for adventure just take me where they will! I hope you enjoy your adventures.