Greetings From Alabama

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee59

Reaction score
I stumbled across this forum last night and spent two or three hours reading all the excellent information here.

I am a 59 year old widower living in northeast Alabama. For the past year or two I've been thinking about how I want to spend my retirement. Being someone that has always had an adventurous spirit, I know the last thing I want to do is end up in some retirement village in Florida playing golf and watching TV all day. Before finding this place, my options were to travel full time in an RV or buy some property in the backwoods somewhere and build a tiny house myself.

Vandwelling appeals to me. I am a truck driver and even though I don't drive over the road any longer, I'm used to living in a small space so living out of a van would be easy for me to adapt to.

About twenty years ago my first wife and I quit our jobs, leased out our house and spent two years traveling the country in a twenty seven foot travel trailer. We had such a good time we almost decided to go fulltime, but didn't. I sometimes think, if we would have gone fulltime, we would still be together today.

I'm in the process of renovating and older home so it's probably going to be two or three years before I can get myself in a position to hit the road. In the meantime, I plan on learning as much as I can so I'll be ready when the time comes.

In South Carolina myself. You will fit in. Maybe consider getting the van and living on the renovation job site as you do your work. If possible.

Welcome to the CRVL forums,Lee! You've got enough experience to know you will enjoy this life style. No reason you can't take smaller jaunts while you rehab the house! That willgive you plenty of time to perfect your wheeled dwelling.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome!! We're glad you're here.

That's great advice from Offroad, get the van as soon as you can and start converting it and taking trips in it. Who knows, maybe you'll be in it sooner than you think!! :p

Bob

Thanks for the warm welcome and yes, that's a good idea by Offroad. I'll have to give that some thought.