Greetings and a first question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's true that I didn't say anything about ice, but I try to avoid using it because of the melt factor. I use frozen bottles of water in a cooler instead. For what I am doing you all are right that I should forget the fridge. I will take a decent cooler, insulate it extra, and eat the food that actually needs to be kept cold first, then move on to the food that doesn't really need it. A lot of things people normally put in the fridge won't go bad for a long time if they are not, and of other kinds of food don't need it at all. I am not picky about food as long as it's healthy.

I use gallon containers with screw tight lids to hold ice in my cooler. When the ice melts, I pour the water into a water jug for washing (dishes, clothes, me) and refill the ice jug with new ice. Never have loose water sloshing about in the cooler this way and the food never gets wet.

That is a great idea, GypsyJan. I am going to do that, although using smaller wide-mouth containers since I have a small space. This gives me a way to use purchased ice without the disadvantages I dislike. Don't know why I never thought of that, but I didn't, so...Thanks!

I have tried to reply to other threads but am notified that I have insufficient privileges to do so. Don't know how many posts I have to make in order to get those privileges, but if this is the only thread in which I can post I shall have to post here until I reach that number, I suppose. Even though I don't really have anything else to say or ask on this topic, as you all have answered all my questions. Do I just keep making posts anyway, until I am allowed to post somewhere else?

DL, I have been approving your posts manually...I dont have the privileges to take you off of moderation, maybe one of the 'super moderators' will do that. And I dont know why you are even on moderation...unless something happened I am not aware of.

Last edited:
Nope, nothing happened that I am aware of either. I just figured that a person has to make a certain number of posts before they are allowed to reply to any post they did not start.....or something? Maybe you can ask a supermoderator to change it. Thanks.