Got your Senior/Disabled Pass?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine ! last Tuesday.
For those still wondering about this.....................

On the front:

SENIOR PASS

On the back:

*AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL*
THE NATIONAL PARKS AND FEDERAL RECREATIONAL LANDS PASS

Lifetime Pass for U.S. Citizen or permanent resident, 62 years or older.

Present in person. Valid at Federal recreation entrance or standard amenity fee sites for: pass holder and occupants of a single , private non commercial vehicle OR one motorcycle OR pass holder and three persons (16 and older) where per person fees are charged. MAY entitle pass holder to some discounts. INQUIRE LOCALLY about Pass acceptance and discounts. MAY NOT cover concession facilities or activities. NOT RESPONSIBLE for misplaced, lost or stolen cards.

And at the bottom , in small print.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service*Forest Service*U.S. Army Corps of Engineers*Bureau of Land Management*National Park Service*Bureau of Reclamation

Still $10 .....at any facility run by the National Park Service ^^^^^above^^^^^^^
Get'em while you can !!!!!!!

(I agree ^ that it's still a bargain at $80 but why not get for $10 !

caretaker said:
AT, i hear,,or i think i read someplace that some campsites in canada come with firewood, do i remember correctly?

I ran in to my first campsite that did provide firewood the other night at one of the campground areas at Riding Mountain National Park.

In all my camping experience that's the first time!

I'm pretty sure that the civilized campground with the 50 amp service and full hook-ups doesn't even think about trying to provide firewood for the heavy usage that that campground sees but the campground out 25 miles of muddy gravel road with no services other than toilets had a big stack of firewood free for the taking.

It's a smart move on their part, it keeps campers from chopping down trees in the campground and it also keeps them from bringing their own firewood from out of district. Very necessary these days with the various invasive species!

The firewood comes from part of their prairie reclamation project..they're busy taking out what was deliberately planted 50 years ago when their predecessors unknowingly tried to forest what was never meant to have trees! Now their working steadily to turn it back in to prairie grasslands.

I am going to be starting out and am disabled. Can you all tell me which pass(es) I should get and where do you get them? Thanks!

XFILE36 said:
Can you all tell me which pass(es) I should get and where do you get them?  Thanks!

The Parks Service offers "America the Beautiful" passes...  they were once called "Golden Passports."  Now they're called a "Senior Pass."

You can learn about them and where to get them near you here:

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

XF36

The non technical term is "The Old Fart's Pass"
Being disabled ,I'm pretty sure you will get it free.
See my last post above for a little more info.

You'll need a photo ID and anything official stating disabled.

XFILE36 said:
I am going to be starting out and am disabled.  Can you all tell me which pass(es) I should get and where do you get them?  Thanks!

You need the Access Pass. It's free, just bring something from Social Security Administration, Veteran's Administration, showing you are receiving federal disability benefits.

hepcat said:
The Parks Service offers "America the Beautiful" passes...  they were once called "Golden Passports."  Now they're called a "Senior Pass."

Hepcat, It seems they aren't giving out passes now...I believe it is called an Access Pass for perm. disabled.  (I am not 62.) Is there a different one I should get or is that the only one I need?

Just a reminder to those that haven't seen this yet. Get em before they go up.

Ballenxj said:
Just a reminder to those that haven't seen this yet. Get em before they go up.

Ah, just got back from getting mine a few hours ago. I asked the guy at the desk if they were really going up in October? He replied, That's the rumor. I take that as a yes.
Anyway, thanks to DLTooley for posting this. :)

Almost There said:
Don't forget to ask for you window hanger thingie and if you've got a motorcycle or bike that you might ever be riding either to or in a National Park ask for the sticker you can put on it.

Park staff don't automatically ask if you need either of them.

And don't forget that your pass is good for you and up to 4 of your closest friends.... :D 

Now if they only handed out the US National Parks seniors passes to Canadians I'd be in heaven instead of having to buy my annual pass...sigh!
When you say a bike are you talking about a bicycle or a motorcycle?  ARGH!!!  I request that from now on, in any forum here, that people either say motorcycle or bicycle.  Bike, to me, means bicycle.  Bike to many of you means motorcycle!  If you just be as truly descriptive as possible, language/protocol, we don't have to ask back and forth wasting time and bandwidth.  P.S. i have a mini scooter (like a kid's scooter).  So now you have me completely confused as to what to ask for...do I have "bike" to have to ask for the "window hanger thingie"?   Please someone, explain in real terms.  I just got my pass, but now am thinking I might have to drive all the way back because I may have not asked for the correct pass for my scooter as well as car/van.  Thank you. P.S. I also have a bicycle, so now do you understand my confusion??

hepcat said:

Hi Hepcat,

I am getting an ACCESS Pass today.  Is "AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL pass" a completely different type of pass?  I would appreciate clarification in order to travel within the U.S.  I am disabled permanently too, but not 62.   Thank you for any help and clarification from you or others.

XFILE36 - Hepcat hasn't visited the forums since the beginning of the month so you won't get an answer from him.

The Access Pass will give you free admission to all National Parks and many other national sites. It also entitles you to half price camping in national parks, national forests and recreation areas, BLM campgrounds that have a fee, and Corp of Engineer campgrounds. It's a lifetime pass.

An America the Beautiful Pass is good for one year only. It will get you free admission to the parks and other national sites. You do not need an America the Beautiful pass if you have an Access or Senior pass.

The link that hepcat posted has additional information.

Awe!  Where is Hepcat??  We miss him.  :heart: :blush: Thanks for the clarification of the passes.  Got mine yesterday!  I'm so excited.

waldenbound said:
You need the Access Pass. It's free, just bring something from Social Security Administration, Veteran's Administration, showing you are receiving federal disability benefits.

Thanks Waldenbound,and FYI to anyone else who served as a civil servant for a municipality (city), you need your award letter from the municipality.  I didn't get a social security letter or V.A. or any other federal thing, but recd my pass. :D

Ballenxj,

First, what does your screen name mean, if you care to divulge?  Yellowstone is on my (mental) list of travel goals, so thank you for the link.  When did you last visit Yellowstone?  :D

PM sent, and no, I have not been to Yellowstone yet.

GSFISH, you don't need a pass for Florida if SENIOR Florida Resident. Just I.D. gets you 50% discount at State campgrounds.

Mikepace said:
GSFISH, you don't need a pass for Florida if SENIOR Florida Resident. Just I.D. gets you 50% discount at State campgrounds.

Mike, How can one get Florida residency? :D 
I still remember what a great time we had with our trailer, at the Red Coconut.  Right on the beach with our own palm tree.

Had my 5 yr old granddaughter for the trip, and when she looked out the camper window at the waves, she excitedly said 
<b>"Meme, the water is getting out of the pool."</b>