Got your Senior/Disabled Pass?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLTooley

Reaction score
The Federal Lands Interagency Pass, which allows free entrance to national parks, acts as a permit in areas like with the Sedona Red Rock Pass, and provides a 50% discount on most Federal usage fees, including camp grounds, is scheduled for a major cost increase.  The current pass is $10 and is good for life, so long as you don't lose it!

Western No Fee Coalition Article

In FL, it also gets you half price camping at some state parks.

Picked up my Access pass in Hoosier National Forest in IN several years back.                                                          Queenie and I will use it soon...oh please please please :angel: we'll be soooo good if we can go camping 

TJB and the Q

Got mine as soon as I was old enough. I've heard rumors the cost might go up and since they are now life-time get it as soon as possible. Sadly most parks are very understaffed and the self serve computers seldom work properly. Probably best to go on in and wait till someone is at the gate at least at the national parks I have been in. In our park the visitor center is seldom open and the front gate less until after May 30 and from Thanksgiving on everything is closed. Be sure to get the plastic mirror pouch that comes with it so you can display it but I have never been asked by an LE to see mine only at the front gate when manned.

The Access and the senior pass are available at any place run by the National Park Service. I got mine in downtown Seattle, at the Gold Rush Museum, run by the NPS.

Don't forget to ask for you window hanger thingie and if you've got a motorcycle or bike that you might ever be riding either to or in a National Park ask for the sticker you can put on it.

Park staff don't automatically ask if you need either of them.

And don't forget that your pass is good for you and up to 4 of your closest friends.... :D 

Now if they only handed out the US National Parks seniors passes to Canadians I'd be in heaven instead of having to buy my annual pass...sigh!

Q: does canada give free passes to americans? I'm not trying to be snarky, but it would be nice to know.

They don't usually give free passes to anyone..this year and this year alone, everyone gets a free pass but that's because the Cdn National Parks are celebrating their 150th anniversary.

And trust me, it's a marketing ploy to get people to use the parks more, not a wonderful gesture of hospitality... :p

Seniors only get a small discount (10%+/-) off the individual annual rate...no lifetime pass.

AND it's good only for the one person unless you pay the family rate - standard family rate is $136.40, senior rate is $57.90.

Rates are weird because it includes 13% sales tax.

Oh and it doesn't get you a discount on camping fees...sigh!

Wasn't a snarky question at all!

I got my America the Beautiful pass last fall when I hit Shenandoah National Park on my way south then west and it more than paid for itself in reduced camping fees and entry fees for the six months I was there! And I'll buy my pass next winter as well.

Not old enough or disabled enough, yet. But even full price it will be a helluva bargain.

I just got off the phone with a friend and we're going UPTAH Acadia sometime in the next week !
The America The Beautiful passes ARE STILL $10 for anyone 62 or older , confirmed with the park office this morning !!!
I'm pretty sure the disabled version is still free? too.

Almost There said:
I got my America the Beautiful pass last fall when I hit Shenandoah National Park on my way south then west and it more than paid for itself in reduced camping fees and entry fees for the six months I was there! And I'll buy my pass next winter as well.

America the Beautiful annual pass has never allowed for reduced camping fees, that's only a benefit with the lifetime Senior and Access passes.

Well, every national park I camped in gave me the discount with the card...what can I say!

Maybe because I don't sound like a Canadian and they didn't check what kind of card I had. I definitely look like a senior... :rolleyes:

AT, i hear,,or i think i read someplace that some campsites in canada come with firewood, do i remember correctly?

DLTooley said:
The Federal Lands Interagency Pass, which allows free entrance to national parks, acts as a permit in areas like with the Sedona Red Rock Pass, and provides a 50% discount on most Federal usage fees, including camp grounds, is scheduled for a major cost increase.  The current pass is $10 and is good for life, so long as you don't lose it!

in your title it says disabled, but I didn't see anything about it on the website.  Is this for the disabled too and do you know what they want to show proof?

XFILE36 said:
in your title it says disabled, but I didn't see anything about it on the website.  Is this for the disabled too and do you know what they want to show proof?

I think you need to be on Social Security to meet their definition.  I took my award letter into the Flagstaff USFS office, easy peasy.  I am on SSI, not SSDI since it took so long to get approved I was no longer eligible for SSDI.  I am appealing that, no idea if I have a prayer.

DLTooley said:

Thanks for the heads up. :)