Got a fridge in your car?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all that.

The Iceco jp40 is another side opener and I don't see how I can make that work in my Prius unless it's under my head which is not ideal for sleeping or access....

Yeah. I'm sure you can find something suitable. A Prius is very limited. I was just generalizing about brands.

Hi, Sara! Fitting that I should see this thread, as I too will be living in a Prius soon, and have been pondering the EXACT same things you have...even just today :thumbsup: 

Most of the portable fridges I've researched (Alpicool, Iceco, Costway, etc.) all pull around 40-50 watts. If you used something like a Jackery - especially the higher wattage ones - you can run the fridge continuously for days on end...provided you really aren't charging other items at the same time. But here's where it gets even better...

If you connect the Jackery to a 100 or 150 watt solar panel, that should be more than enough to top-off/replenish the Jackery as its charge decreases. Obviously, there are a LOT of other variables involved, like; sun angle, strength of the sun, etc., so do keep that in mind. However, I've seen MANY videos of others with similar set-ups, and they all run their fridges continuously without any issues.

Take a look at this gentleman, who is very informative. He did a breakdown on how long each of the Jackery models could power a fridge:

As for the sizing matter, I'm EXACTLY where you are on this now. I was looking at the 50 quart Alpicool today, and it is VERY tall. Like you, I'd rather not having it under the seat. So, my thinking is that it would go next to my twin mattress where the rear hatch opens. But after considering the size, I'm not sure how much headroom/clearance I'd have to lift the top open. Especially since I haven't purchased my Prius yet...it's mighty tough sizing everything without the actual car! :p

Just curious...have you purchased your Prius yet? Maybe we can lean on each other and share our research regarding things, since we're both at about the same stage of this process.

Anywho, I'll definitely be watching this thread closely. Good luck!

[quote pid='552388' dateline='1634007928']
 Especially since I haven't purchased my Prius yet...it's mighty tough sizing everything without the actual car! :p

Just curious...have you purchased your Prius yet? Maybe we can lean on each other and share our research regarding things, since we're both at about the same stage of this process.

Anywho, I'll definitely be watching this thread closely. Good luck!
[/quote]

I can't imagine doing this without an actual car to measure! Yes, the Prius has been in my hands since 2009, tho I've only started thinking about sleeping in it this year...

It's a 2005, so that's Gen 2. If that's you too, I'm happy to give you measurements.

What I've realized is that although several fridges fit in the back, I don't think any of them can be opened without the back hatch being open. And that's kind of an issue... 

Bummed at that because I'd kind of gotten attached to that location...

So we're back to under my head or maybe next to my head if I give up that real estate.

Sara, while I'm pretty dead set on the Alpicool's because they have a larger capacity (and are the most budget-friendly), like you, I'd prefer the ability to open the fridge from inside without lifting the hatch when laying in bed, if it's raining outside, etc. Not sure if that's going to be possible with most of their models, as they're shaped like desktop computer towers from the 90's...very tall. However...

Alpicool does make a shorter one (first link below) which *should* provide you with enough clearance, as it's about 11.5" in height. Alternatively, Costway has a model even shorter, at 10" in height (second link).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082SKVVB...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/COSTWAY-Comp...or&qid=1634065527&sprefix=cos,aps,636&sr=8-13

Any way you can do some measurements? I'm mighty curious to see if you'd have enough headroom to lift both of the above fridges lids from inside...and how tight it would be. If possible, would you be able to measure the height from the floor of the trunk to the inside roof?

And yes, I am only looking for Gen 2's! So combining our research might save us each some time, and it'll be interesting to compare notes on things :) Joe

To fully open a front-opening fridge, you'd need the height plus the back to front measurement

So 11.4 plus 13.2 = 24.6

It's 23 inches long, and 23 inches behind the rear left seat, the measurement from the floor to the roof is just 19 inches.

Alternatively, directly behind the driver's seat with the seat down, you have 27 inches.

I don't see how to put even the smallest fridge in the way back unless it's side-opening and opening to the front, which would make it super difficult to access (except if you are lying in bed!).

It's slowly dawning on me that I'm attempting to reinvent the wheel here and there's a good reason that all the fridges I've seen in Priuses have been in the passenger rear footwell, where you can fit fridges with nearly twice the capacity. You could do it behind the driver's seat, but I'm still hoping to keep that seat up.

Darn, I really liked that idea.

I have to admit that after buying the Setpower first, then starting on building my vans interior, I wish I'd gone with a slightly smaller model.
First off, top opening is really the only way to go. It's physics. Cold seeks level, it is kind of like water. Heat rises, cold does the opposite. So a top opener keeps the cold air in. Side opener lets it spill out.
There was some nerd channel on Youtube that did a whole episode on this, but they were talking about why top open freezers are so efficient.
So being stuck with top open, I kind of overestimated my size budget. Right now it will just fit under the bed loft with about 1.5" of clearance thanks to my generous floor insulation.
So I have to build a slider for the fridge under the loft. Or put it under the sink, where I'd planned to store dishes and dry food. grrr.
Kind of looking at 30-32 qt models with a jealous eye now.
Though I'm sure next summer I'll be happy to have multiple bottles of chilled beverages.

On another note, I just don't trust Amazon sellers with names like "F40C4TMP".
It just sounds too much like a fly by night exporter and not a legit long term company.
Maybe they are great? But I've been burned in the past buying products from sellers with names that sound like an instagram handle.

Sara in a Prius said:
To fully open a front-opening fridge, you'd need the height plus the back to front measurement

So 11.4 plus 13.2 = 24.6

It's 23 inches long, and 23 inches behind the rear left seat, the measurement from the floor to the roof is just 19 inches.

Alternatively, directly behind the driver's seat with the seat down, you have 27 inches.

I don't see how to put even the smallest fridge in the way back unless it's side-opening and opening to the front, which would make it super difficult to access (except if you are lying in bed!).

It's slowly dawning on me that I'm attempting to reinvent the wheel here and there's a good reason that all the fridges I've seen in Priuses have been in the passenger rear footwell, where you can fit fridges with nearly twice the capacity. You could do it behind the driver's seat, but I'm still hoping to keep that seat up.

Darn, I really liked that idea.

Sara, where did you measure in the Prius exactly? 19" from the floor of the cargo area to the inner roof/felt headliner sounds very short. I know that the roof slopes. Did you measure from the highest point or the lowest? I'm mainly interested in the height of the highest point. If it is indeed 19" (at the highest point) that's mighty deceptive, as it appears MUCH taller in photos/videos.

TrailerManNJ said:
Sara, where did you measure in the Prius exactly? 19" from the floor of the cargo area to the inner roof/felt headliner sounds very short. I know that the roof slopes. Did you measure from the highest point or the lowest? I'm mainly interested in the height of the highest point. If it is indeed 19" (at the highest point) that's mighty deceptive, as it appears MUCH taller in photos/videos.

Please read this again: 

23 inches behind the rear left seat, 
the measurement from the floor to the roof is just 19 inches. That's the lowest point, near the back of the car.

Directly behind the driver's seat with the seat down, you have 27 inches. That's the highest point, right behind the drivers seat.

Sofisintown said:
You only eat a couple of times a day, it doesn't need to be such a major issue.

That's an interesting way to look at it. The way I see it, you eat every single day, multiple times a day. If you can't get at your food when it's raining, that's going to really interfere with your quality of life. 

To my mind, the things that are major issues have to do with sleeping, eating, drinking and peeing. The rest is small stuff.

Calaverasgrande said:
I have to admit that after buying the Setpower first, then starting on building my vans interior, I wish I'd gone with a slightly smaller model.

So I have to build a slider for the fridge under the loft. Or put it under the sink, where I'd planned to store dishes and dry food. grrr. 

yes, I think a slider is a great option. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]what size did you get?[/font]

Aaahh, that makes sense, Sara! Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup: I was starting to get worried there for a second :p 

I'm precisely where you are right now, in terms of the planning/staging process, except you're one step ahead of me since you already have the car.

I've been researching like mad for about 3 years, and I'm basically at the point now where it's either GET MOVING or keep sitting around and analyzing/nitpicking over every last item. I want the perfect set-up in my Prius. After all, it's going to be my home. But IMO the reality is that perfection is only a pursuit...it's never truly gained. So...

As much as it goes against my analytical/OCD mental hardwiring, I've opted for speed & action versus endless scrutinizing & inaction. My new goal is to get my BASIC NEEDS met, nothing more. I can always change things later and switch things up.

My new philosophy = Just get out on the open road and work things out as I go along :D

I have a Dometic CFX35. I put it in the front passenger seat of my 4Runner. I do wish I had gone with the CFX25. I have way more room in the 35 than I need. I keep eggs, lunch meat, ground coffee, and a few other small things in it. If I was packing a 12 pack of beer, then the 35 would be useful I suppose.

I power either with the 12 volt from the car when driving or plug it into a Bluetti 1500ah when stopped or camping. I can run the fridge for about 4 or 5 days without a recharge on the bluetti. I put the Bluetti in the footwell area of the front passenger seat.

I do have solar cells—two 100 watt portable type for a total of 200 watts. Something to keep in mind with a power unit, maybe others are different, but with the bluetti I need the two cells hooked in series to get the voltage up to the 24+ range in order to fully charge the bluetti (the voltage is actually about 36 with the cells in series and full sun). Even then it won't completely top it off.

I'm sorry Sara. I don't want to be Donny Downer, but a fridge in a Prius might not be feasible. If you want to plan it out I would start on how you will power it, before you work out fitting it into your floor plan. You will probably need a solar panel that covers your whole roof. Bear in mind refrigerators are heat pumps. They remove the heat from inside and put it outside. That means you will be increasing the heat inside your car, fine during the dead of winter, but not so good in the peak of Summer. Also the hotter it is inside the car the harder the fridge has to work. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it won't be easy. This is one of those things that makes people shift up to vans.
Once again sorry to be the bearer of bad news, don't shoot the messenger.

SR
You don't need a solar panel that convers your whole roof or anything like that too power a fridge made for a car, like a 12 volt fridge. You can run a 12 volt fridge from your car plug. You can plug it into something like a 250 watt Jackery for a few days without ever needing to recharge the Jackery. If you drive a lot you can recharge your Jackery by plugging it into your car. If you have 2 outlets, you can plug your fridge and your Jackery into your car plugs and recharge both of them when you're driving. You can also take your Jackery inside with you, like inside a coffee shop, bookstore, or library, and charge it with a regular plug while you're there. I know someone who unplugs his fridge at night and just plugs it back in in the morning. It stays cold and he minimizes its power draw. There's a lot of ways you can power a 12 volt refrigerator in your car without needing a van.

Do you have this one? If so, how long have you had it and how is it working for you?

All the YouTubers, including Bob, do these initial product infomercials just repeating what the manufacturer says about the fridge but no one comes back and gives a 1 year update of how it worked for them. Bob is honest and admits he just gives them away so he's not actually using the fridge. AThere are numerous 1 star reviews for this fridge about the display dying within the first year and not being able to get any help from the manufacturer. I would love to get some feedback from someone who's had the fridge awhile because I would love to but it. It's the perfect size to fit in my SUV.

For the record, I run a 47QT Setpower fridge constantly for the last 4 months in my van.
I don't have any solar panels yet. Just charging a LiFePo4 battery bank from the alternator using a MPPT charge controller.
Not sure how feasible such an arrangement is with a Prius.
My Transit has a 3.7L V6 and a 150 amp alternator.
Pretty sure the Prius will be less than that.
But then you could possibly get away with something much smaller than my fridge, which is honestly more than I need.
And likewise use a smaller charge controller to keep the battery bank topped off.