Good Nights Sleep

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
HELP. Need ideas for mattress. Looking for something to fit a fold out in my ASTRO Van.

Does your fold out (seat?) need to stay folded during the day?
How does it fold?
Is this something you are going to roll up and put away during the day or fold with the bed?

Dual density foam rubber works for me. I have a 2" memory foam topper on it too. It does not fold though. I sleep better on it than the mattress in the S&B.

We don't know what your needs for this mattress are.

Im strongly considering one of those 8" memory foam mattresses($200+-). Can be cut to size I believe. Also have 2" MF topper if needed. If that won't make me comfy, I quit.

I have a plywood platform for my bed and had used a 6" memory foam mattress with very good results for more than six months when I was full-timing a few years ago. It does not fold well, of course, but I don't need mine to do so.

For this trip, I bought the same thing but a different brand... both had been from Amazon and were just over $100 (free shipping as I use Amazon Prime). They come all suctioned down and rolled in a narrow box. You slit open the tight plastic bag inside and it all expands nicely.

A tip for cutting the memory foam mattresses down to size: use an electric knife if you have one or can borrow one. It goes through like a hot knife through butter if the blade is as long as the mattress is thick.

Bedding hacks:

Foam Factory will make a mattress in any size you wish, with choice of firmness.

Love the feeling of memory foam but still get pressure points? Cut a piece of Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest and place it directly under the sheet where the pressure is. The RidgeRest will take the pressure off, and you can still can enjoy the comfort of memory foam.

A simple serrated bread knife will also cut memory foam. Use an up and down sawing motion. A carpenter's saw is the worst thing, ask me how I know.