Going to Alaska in 2022???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpruet

Reaction score
The border to Canada is open now and has very few restrictions due to Covid. Basically all you need now is to be fully vaccinated against Covid. The only current down side is that fuel costs have gone up.

I’m curious as to how many folks in this group are considering heading up north this summer. I’m fortunate to have made it up north three time prior to the pandemic. I even got to camp on the shore of the Arctic Ocean in Tuktoyaktuk.

I will probably not head out until after July 4 and return mid/late September. I like to follow the fall season on my return and see the northern lights once it starts getting dark at night.

I will probably go north on the Cassiar and return on the Alcan. There is a rendezvous that I plan on attending near Delta Junction, AK on July 20, so will not be able to spend a lot of time in Canada on my way north. Usually I spend about a month in Canada before I even reach Alaska.

I had a trip planned to go there this summer, I got my Passport ready, and then decided against going, as I have absolutely zero plans to get the Vaxx.

The border to Canada is open now and has very few restrictions due to Covid. Basically all you need now is to be fully vaccinated against Covid. The only current down side is that fuel costs have gone up.

I’m curious as to how many folks in this group are considering heading up north this summer.
I'd like to go again but it would have to be for taking a summer job up there and I haven't found anything on Coolworks that sounds good. Also, I'd want to leave about the first week in May and take the ferry from Pr.Rupert but it doesn't operate until June.

I will probably not head out until after July 4 and return mid/late September.

There is a rendezvous that I plan on attending near Delta Junction, AK on July 20, so will not be able to spend a lot of time in Canada on my way north. Usually I spend about a month in Canada before I even reach Alaska.
When I went in '19 I was in a hurry to get to a job so I didn't get to linger in Canada. If I can swing it this year I'd like to spend more time there. I haven't driven the Cassiar route yet so that would be something to look forward too. I'm a snowbird and when I leave each year I don't have to pay rent for the summer months, so the gas expense is easier to take.

The Cassiar Hwy is much more interesting than the AlCan with far less traffic, better camping, and more wildlife. It is a slower and narrower road which suits me fine. Be sure to take a side trip down to Stewart and Hyder and bring a mosquito head net.

we went up the AlCAN in 86 (or so) and had lots more time to get there back then (unemployed, sold my Karmann Ghia for funds) but that Cassiar Hwy looks really cool. probably would still take the Alcan again to save money and time, plus it was very cool too ;) ps, amazing how technology has changed everything, as i have never heard of the Cassiar Hwy before and back then we would have had to spend lots of time researching books, magazines and such as the library and now its ALL at our fingertips!

Last edited:
Technology has changed and the AlCan has changed since I first rode my Vespa up there in 1978 when it was mostly dirt. Scenic either way but I recommend the Cassiar if you get a chance.

The Cassiar Hwy is much more interesting than the AlCan with far less traffic, better camping, and more wildlife. It is a slower and narrower road which suits me fine. Be sure to take a side trip down to Stewart and Hyder and bring a mosquito head net.
Camped at Meziadin Lake on the way to Stewart - worse infestation of mosquitoes ever! I've been all over Canada and the US and never saw mosquitoes like that! Head nets were for sale at the campground store and yes, we bought them!

Technology has changed and the AlCan has changed since I first rode my Vespa up there in 1978 when it was mostly dirt. Scenic either way but I recommend the Cassiar if you get a chance.
U r definitely right about the Alcan changing. My 1st time was 1966 and it was somewhat wild and woolly and gravel. Went back in 05 and what a difference. The only thing that seemed about the same was the Top of The World highway from Alaska to Dawson City with Dawson City still looking about the same.
The Cassier hwy reminded me of the Alcan back in 66.
Enjoy your travels

I’m planning on heading that way in June. I’ve never been- I’d take suggestions on places to boondock/ cheap camping if anyone has them. I’m in a “vintage” 24’ class A, so dirt roads are fine but nothing too “off road”. My one concern is cell cover. I work from the road. I can probably get by with checking my email once or twice a day for short stints, but I can’t be totally cut off. I’m super excited about checking out Alaska!!!

I’m planning on heading that way in June. I’ve never been- I’d take suggestions on places to boondock/ cheap camping if anyone has them. I’m in a “vintage” 24’ class A, so dirt roads are fine but nothing too “off road”. My one concern is cell cover. I work from the road. I can probably get by with checking my email once or twice a day for short stints, but I can’t be totally cut off. I’m super excited about checking out Alaska!!!
I live in Alaska and it is unlikely you will be able to have access to email every day unless you stay near towns. I spent last summer traveling around Alaska and often had no cell service. I am driving out on the AlCan this fall and expect to have some days with no cell service. I work remotely so that is a concern. And using my phone in Canada is really expensive.

My brother often travels the AlCan and said if I stay at hotels I can get internet service. Not interested in doing that.

Oof- I guess I'll have to drive to cell service at least 1x a day. Not my favorite option, but I really want to visit Alaska and not working at all isn't an option for me. I'm waiting for Starlink to go mobile so I can go get lost in the forest and not have to worry so much about cell coverage!

I got the Vaxx... but Alaska is many gallons of fuel .. and if we think it is $$$ here, up in Alaska it will make Calif prices seem cheap.. ;) I also got my passport renewed, but this is more about going South.

Alaska is such a long drive, and once you get up there, you have to come back!... lol

Denali NP is closed from Mile 43 due to a landslide on the Park Road. I took the last bus out from Wonder Lake Campground last summer. I'd love to go there again when it's open.
Also miss the free salmon in Seward.
I'd appreciate any info on the free campsites along the route. I flew there last year and hope to drive there in a couple of years when the park is fully open.

The border services just announced that the border crossing on Top Of The World will be open after two years of closure.

Heading for Alaska on July 1. Planning on entering Canada at Roosville, BC and will be heading north on the Cassiar. I’m attending a Rally at Isabel Pass, AK starting July 20. I’ll be remain in Alaska until late August when I’ll be heading back to Canada over Top-of-the-World into Dawson City, Yukon. From there I plan on heading up to Tuktoyaktuk where I’ll camp on the shore of the Arctic. I really want to see the fall colors on the tundra. Looking forward to taking a dip in Liard Hot Springs on a chilly fall day up north.

If anyone wants to follow my trip, you can search for the FB page ‘Gone Retired’ as I will be posting frequently on that page.

Last edited:
I’m here now! Boondocking near Fairbanks on the Chena River and heading to Denali next week. The drive up was beautiful- crossed in Portal North Dakota and went through Banff/ Jasper and up the Alaska highway to Tok. Cell coverage in Canada was very limited. So far, cell coverage in Alaska it’s bad. The mosquitoes are insane. I knew they’d be bad, but I had no idea this bad. Waaaaayyy worse than the Everglades! Enough manage to sneak into the RV every day that we’re being attacked in our sleep. I’ve had to sleep with a mosquito net over my head. Gas is crazy expensive, but that wasn’t a surprise. So far, I’m loving it!

Last edited:
This will be my fourth trip up. I usually aim for the fall because the ‘skitters tend to be dying down by then. We’ll see. I have AT&T which is the largest carrier in Alaska, except for McCarthy. I also have a Verizon JetPack which works pretty good in Wrangle - St. Elias, and my AT&T phone can do VOIP over the Verizon signal fairly well - so should be ok. Since I’ve been up before, I’m fairly aware about loss of cell signal areas…

I’m here now! Boondocking near Fairbanks on the Chena River and heading to Denali next week. The drive up was beautiful- crossed in Portal North Dakota and went through Banff/ Jasper and up the Alaska highway to Tok. Cell coverage in Canada was very limited. So far, cell coverage in Alaska it’s bad. The mosquitoes are insane. I knew they’d be bad, but I had no idea this bad. Waaaaayyy worse than the Everglades! Enough manage to sneak into the RV every day that we’re being attacked in our sleep. I’ve had to sleep with a mosquito net over my head. Gas is crazy expensive, but that wasn’t a surprise. So far, I’m loving it!
I'm in Fairbanks right now too. wanna meet up?

I just returned home from my three month trip to Alaska and northern Canada. If anyone wants to see posts of my trip, I’ve posted them under a Facebook user named “Alcan Pruet”. I made all of the posts public, so you don’t need to become a ‘friend’ to view them - in fact I’m ignoring all friend requests for ‘Alcan Pruet’.