Going full-time: just started my buildout!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone!

I'm an experienced nomad, but a first-time vandweller. I spent the years between 2010 and 2015 doing the digital nomad thing, living out of one large and one small backpack while I worked all around the world. The biggest mistake I made in my life was trying to settle down: as exasperating and exhausting as the nomad lifestyle can be, it beats rotting away inside of an overpriced apartment.

I just started gutting and renovating my van, affectionately known as the Big Blue Whale. The end of a bad relationship led me to go on what could be referred to as an 'involuntary extended camping ' experience in her before I had a chance to do any real work on it, but as difficult as that experience was, it was valuable in that it taught me exactly what I need to do to make a van a viable living space in the long-term.

After a lot of research, I just ordered the things I need to build a 400w solar system for my van. I'm going to gut the interior, remove all seats, and build some custom furniture for me and my cats. My #1 priority is insulation, as I have two cats and they need to be safe in extremes of hot and cold; the next is computing power and internet for work and gaming. I found that I got by very well with a cooler, and other than a computer and USB accessories, I doubt I'll be using much in the way of electrical appliances.

My biggest fear is finding places to park. I'm in the PNW right now, and it is not a good place to be in a (visible, non-stealthy) van due to the problems with homelessness and associated stigmas here. NIMBY-ism in my area is pretty awful despite the romanticization of van life here among the hipsters of WA. I'm hoping it'll be easier once I can leave the cities and head south and/or east.

Anyway, I've been lurking here for a while, but haven't posted until now. Nice to meet everyone: if you happen to be in the PNW and want to network, feel free to hit me up. I've got 8 weeks until my lease is up, so I'm planning to hit the road end of May.
Congrats you should know that I have off grid wilderness/private property in Northern NM which I hosted nomads in past prior rona and am now clearing intentional places which I now have listed on CL. I am open to ? exchanges or just giving folks a hassle free place to be in nature,short term. Ideally this is high in elevation and not a good place to winter in a van. I am old and still new to this forum so not sure how we connect but will stumble on it soon.

Congrats you should know that I have off grid wilderness/private property in Northern NM which I hosted nomads in past prior rona and am now clearing intentional places which I now have listed on CL. I am open to ? exchanges or just giving folks a hassle free place to be in nature,short term. Ideally this is high in elevation and not a good place to winter in a van. I am old and still new to this forum so not sure how we connect but will stumble on it soon.
What a lovely offer!

Reactions: Sky
re -- homelessness and associated stigma
Disagree!
This's an excellent time to go Permanent Traveler.
Reasons:
* grid collapse -- travel to someplace with juice... or be off-grid with photovoltaic
* rioters -- if you are bored, travel over and set out the lawn-chairs for the entertainment
* floods, tsunami, drought -- on-board supplies add to your resilience
* volcano -- travel over for a weinie-roast
* the BureauOfJustifyingOurExistence exceeding their authority again? Eat our dust, slackers!

I'm very curious! I'm in CO and will be heading into NM this summer. What part of the state (county?) are you in? I might be in the neighborhood at some point.