Gil's National Forest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LathrenJames

Reaction score
We are trying to decide which area to stay in. Anyone have a favorite section or campground in Gila? Thank you.

I took a drive through the Gila Forest last week from Caballo through Silver City via 152/180 last week. It was glorious. Got out to pee at Emory Pass and froze (but then again, I was comfortable sitting outside today reading and it was 98F). Checked out a few campgrounds for later this summer, they were pretty empty but had promise. Very little traffic. It was busier closer to Silver City than further east. Fire restrictions, but so what else is new in the West? Got to Elephant Butte yesterday and Lion's Beach campground is maybe 1/5 filled. I guess it was busy ovEr the holiday weekend. Don't come this way, though, unless you are comfortable with heat or have a/c to plug in @ $4/day if you have the annual camping pass. I just like being near the water. Happy travels!
Ted

Check with forest service if camping in southern part. They closed a big area looking for a bear that ripped open a tent and hurt a guy.

There's a free campground at Apache Creek, on state highway 12 at the junction of 32, northeast of Reserve, which is a nice little town. There's also a free campground in Pie Town, on the south side of US-60. If you're going to Gila Cliff Dwelling National Monument, there are a couple of free campgrounds a little outside the monument. I can't remember the names right now and my NM atlas is buried under some stuff. Off state highway 90, southwest of Silver City, it Gold Gulch Rd. There dispersed camping along there. I found a nice spot about a mile back, maybe a little farther. There are National Forest campgrounds along 152, west side of the summit. And, of course, there's City of Rocks state park. It's not in the mountains, but it's a cool looking place.

Rule #1: do not store food in your tent in bear or mountain lion territory. The moron had food in his tent.
Ted

Yeah, its amazing. We camp up there a lot around FR 150 area and have seen 3 of them pass within a football field from us.  every time they just keep going. I guess if you do what the rangers ask and keep it locked up they just pass by. But then we never take bacon or sausage when we go up into that area. Would make me a little mad if a bear took my 5.00 a pound bacon.

MrNoodly said:
There's a free campground at Apache Creek, on state highway 12 at the junction of 32, northeast of Reserve, which is a nice little town. There's also a free campground in Pie Town, on the south side of US-60. If you're going to Gila Cliff Dwelling National Monument, there are a couple of free campgrounds a little outside the monument. I can't remember the names right now and my NM atlas is buried under some stuff. Off state highway 90, southwest of Silver City, it Gold Gulch Rd. There dispersed camping along there. I found a nice spot about a mile back, maybe a little farther. There are National Forest campgrounds along 152, west side of the summit. And, of course, there's City of Rocks state park. It's not in the mountains, but it's a cool looking place.
Thank you. Good information.

grimmal said:
Yeah, its amazing. We camp up there a lot around FR 150 area and have seen 3 of them pass within a football field from us.  every time they just keep going. I guess if you do what the rangers ask and keep it locked up they just pass by. But then we never take bacon or sausage when we go up into that area. Would make me a little mad if a bear took my 5.00 a pound bacon.

Any odorous materials seem to attract bear. Other than bedding and gadgets, we have the contents of the tent down to water, only. I sometimes worry what our neighbors might have inside their tents. Oreos? Uh, oh. :(

MrNoodly said:
Well, you know, humans smell like meat.  :D :p :rolleyes:

Yep! And wet clothes exasperate that problem. LOL. We were camped near a young lady who left her wet shoes out in her vestibule. A bear liked the odor and ripped her tent apart. She lay there screaming for help and no one could help her. The bear retreated but not after doing some profound damage. She was unharmed built poor girl. She kept in touch with us. She never camped, again. Put your wet clothes and shoes in your car! Or, better, in a bear box. Still, we go...LOL