Getting ready

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonda

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Vonda and I'm am currently looking for a used RV to purchase so I can explore our wonderful country as soon as my lease is up next year. Any recommendations on brand or model? My budget is around $10,000. Looking forward to your feedback.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Vonda! Visit an RV dealer and check out all of the types of RVs. Go through the motions of daily living, try out the bed, sit on the toilet with the door closed(some are very cramped), get in the shower, pretend to cook, watch TV, etc. There are so many choices that it's hard to make a decision but this should help a little when you start looking for a used one. Smaller is better if you're planning on boondocking. When buying used it's important to check very carefully for any signs of water damage - discoloration on the inside walls, soft spots on the walls or floors, and ripples or bulges on the outside skin. Get any RV that you are considering buying inspected by a mechanic.

One of the forum rules requires new posters to make at least 10 posts before including links so ask a few questions and comment on some posts then when you get up to 10 posts you can post links to any RVs that you are considering. Experienced forum members can tell at a lot about an RV by looking at the photos posted on links and reading the included information and will be able to rule out any that are not worth considering. Good luck!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you, that is very helpful. I know from watching You Tube and reading on the forum that a Mercedes diesel is not recommended, but what about other diesels? Are diesels better for boondocking? Should mileage be a factor when deciding on a rig? I read on the forum last night, that several prefer a Chevy gas engine over a Ford engine that uses gas. Any thoughts?

I would look around the $5-7k range and be patient. Save the rest for fixing things. Make sure the most expensive stuff works or in good shape; tires, fridge, generator, transmission, and water leaks at wi dows and roof seams..

Generators are fickle in them much more than a standalone unit. When you test them make suure to kick the ac on and let it run for several minutes. Sometimes they will start and die when a heavy load is turned on.

Always way better to buy one someone used all the time over a guy flipping them or even a lot.

Great, that's really good advice. I had already planned on having some money put back for repairs and sprucing up. I figured I would probably need to replace the tires and do some general maintenance. Before I buy, I plan on having my mechanic and an RV inspector check it out. Is it a good idea to get a generator or other parts from a RV salvage yard? Has anyone replaced their existing generator with a stand alone one? Thanks.

Many do but with a new one. The internal one is loud as hell anyway. Problem is getting a quiet generator big enough to power your AC is pretty big money. Most of us dont use AC and never need to cause were 9k ft up. So thats a consideration.

They also make ones that use a button to start. A nice feature...wake up go to make coffee and just hit the button.

You can get a hitch carrier and put in back there.

At $7k you should expect good tires and under 75k miles. On RV's tires dry rot long before the tread wears out so thats what youre looking for. Go around the windows and push on the walls underneath. Feel for soft spots. Check fridge out real good and run it on both AC and propane. No ammonia or propane smells and no yellow powder anywhere on the outside. Make sure the oven works. They go bad often. Check hotwater heater works. Sit on the toilet. Pretend to take a shower.

If theyre not willing to really let you go through it PASS. I had a ton of trouble with people who didnt want to fill the propane to let me check it all out.

Be patient.

Unless you are towing a heavy trailer long distances, a diesel engine will not be needed. You will end up paying twice as much initially for the truck, about $.50 more for a gallon of fuel, a harder time finding fuel in desolate places, and HUGE repair bills should something break. They do live longer, and have much more grunt, but also weigh alot more than it's gasoline counterpart. (My 2004 diesel Excursion weighs 8000#, and my 1999 diesel F250 weighs 7100# I use both of these on the farm).

Thanks, I will keep your recommendations in mind. Does anyone have experience with a 1991 Winnebago Warrior class A 23 foot with a 454 engine. According to the owner it has been used often with new front airbags, shocks and awning. The a/c refrigerant has been updated as well. Besides the usual, is there anything else I should look at when I go to see it due to the age?

the number one thing to look for is water leaks. if it's fiberglass look for delamination. if it's aluminum look on the inside for water damage.

highdesertranger

Welcome!  I can't give any helpful knowledge as I am still pursuing my rig.  Glad to have you on board.

It has been awhile since I posted, but I've been working at a new part-time job to help with expenses and looking for what RV might work for me. I have a quick question for everyone out there. I found a 1999 Dynamas Isata A280 with 74,000 miles in my price range. It was owned by a sheriff and he kept the maintenance up on it. The engine is a Ford Vortec 6.0L , V8 engine. He has traded it in for a larger model. Is there anything I need to be aware of on this RV. If it passes the NRVIA inspection, would this be a reliable vehicle and how many more miles can I get out of it with regular maintenance? Thanks.

The "6.0L Vortec" is a Chevy motor, and is considered a good choice (I'm a Ford fan). Ford had a 6.0L "Powerstroke" diesel engine offered, but not until 2003

Interesting, the dealer told me it was a Ford engine. Thanks for the information.

Dynamax was pretty awesome during those years and all the way up to 2011 when they sold out. Do you have solid oak cabinets? What kind of layout? I just switched over to a larger RV from a 2003 Dynamax and it is a better planned and built unit than any others I’ve seen.

Vonda what is he asking for it? You can check with rvtrader and see what others are asking for the same (or close) unit.

Thank you everyone for your input and questions. I looked at the pictures more closely and found that it is a Ford E450, V10. They are asking $19,000 but the NADA is much lower than that putting it in my price range. I've also found an inspector and a mechanic. Since it has almost 74,000 miles, I'm having the inspector test the fluids to make sure there are no issues that we can't see. Layout is with a rear walk around bed, storage, vanity and medicine cabinet. The cabinets look like they've been painted, with cedar shiplap in bathroom and closet as well as new flooring. Roof from the pictures look pretty good and the generator has 1200 hours and recently serviced. I plan on going up to see it on my next day off.

I will also check out the shuttle bus. I'm keeping my options open just in case the Dynamax doesn't work out. Can anyone tell me what qualifications I should look for when hiring someone to do the wiring and plumbing? Thanks Mbinmo for sending me the link. Will keep you posted on progress.

If u get the Dynamax don’t forget to check the oil in the generator a LOT and be sure to stick with the oil change schedule.

Learn to change that oil yourself. My Dynamax no longer has a generator...

Latest posts