Getting back on the road -- how are things these days out yonder?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solari

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'd been full timing for a few years now until I got walloped bigly by Mr. Lyme which destroyed my health. After a bit over two years recovering on the sidelines I feel strong enough and am truly looking forward to getting back into the wild where I belong.

The timing of being sidelined is strange what with COVID and an explosion of interest in this lifestyle so I've been out of the loop.

One could say I was very lucky to begin the full-timing life back in 2016 where it has been easy to camp wherever I wanted whenever over the years but I am hearing these days that's changed and it's much harder to get camping spots, etc. etc.

As with any hearsay I'd like to get to the bottom of it and ask those of you with actual experience out there -- how are things in that regard? Care to share any other details and observations?

The specific areas I am used to camping in just about all of the US, parts of Canada and Mexico. Although my preference is boondocking, I've camped in more established campgrounds like COE, etc. etc. and have no issues with that as I'm usually always roaming around.

In other words I pretty much go with the flow!

Thanks muchly,
Ray

Last edited:
Well Ray, if you want to camp in the places that are reviewed to death on every camping and RVing app and website, then you’ll likely find it more crowded and less pristine and even hard to find a spot. But if you’re good at finding the places that are barely (if at all) mentioned on the internet, I think you’ll do fine.

Since the Pandemic nomadic explosion, I’ve noped out of some previously lovely camping areas, but have yet to be stumped for finding my kind of place.

Well Ray, if you want to camp in the places that are reviewed to death on every camping and RVing app and website, then you’ll likely find it more crowded and less pristine and even hard to find a spot. But if you’re good at finding the places that are barely (if at all) mentioned on the internet, I think you’ll do fine.

Since the Pandemic nomadic explosion, I’ve noped out of some previously lovely camping areas, but have yet to be stumped for finding my kind of place.

Makes sense and fortunately for the most part I tend to go where (and when) most people don't go and have had pretty good luck that way. I'm guessing in the more less out of the way places I'll have to work harder like when I went up the east coast from Florida to Nova Scotia. There's way more established campgrounds than dispersed areas on that side of the continent since it's more urban.

I'll just have to find out :) The best part of the journey has been in trusting and just going with the flow to see where it takes me. 99% of the time it works out somehow and the 1% was meant to be!

Right now it's too cold to go that far north so I'll likely kick-off around Florida to the west.

Thank you for sharing your insights, Ravella! How long have you been at it and how has it been for you?

Ray

Over 25 years here. We haven't noticed too many changes but I think subconsciously and consciously we've been avoiding places like popular national parks and the boondocking spots where everyone gathers as the seasons change. There are so many other places to go. People tend to pick the easiest route when searching for their campsites so if you dig a little deeper when researching or drive a little farther away from populated areas you'll be fine.

5 years, but just one on my own.

Going with the flow is the only sane way
😊

Totally the way to go, indeedy!

Over 25 years here. We haven't noticed too many changes but I think subconsciously and consciously we've been avoiding places like popular national parks and the boondocking spots where everyone gathers as the seasons change. There are so many other places to go. People tend to pick the easiest route when searching for their campsites so if you dig a little deeper when researching or drive a little farther away from populated areas you'll be fine.

Makes a lot of sense -- I tend to wander very randomly so the majority of the time I'm at off-the-beaten path places (and I deliberately avoid popular locations) so it sounds like all will be mostly copacetic!

Thanks for chiming in and continued safe travels to you both.

Ray

Hi folks,

I'd been full timing for a few years now until I got walloped bigly by Mr. Lyme which destroyed my health. After a bit over two years recovering on the sidelines I feel strong enough and am truly looking forward to getting back into the wild where I belong.

The timing of being sidelined is strange what with COVID and an explosion of interest in this lifestyle so I've been out of the loop.

One could say I was very lucky to begin the full-timing life back in 2016 where it has been easy to camp wherever I wanted whenever over the years but I am hearing these days that's changed and it's much harder to get camping spots, etc. etc.

As with any hearsay I'd like to get to the bottom of it and ask those of you with actual experience out there -- how are things in that regard? Care to share any other details and observations?

The specific areas I am used to camping in just about all of the US, parts of Canada and Mexico. Although my preference is boondocking, I've camped in more established campgrounds like COE, etc. etc. and have no issues with that as I'm usually always roaming around.

In other words I pretty much go with the flow!

Thanks muchly,
Ray
Greetings....
Find the regional Parks like "Lithia Springs" (FL.), "Menard Preserve" (FL)....*No reservations systems, arrive on Mondays, Tuesdays, no later than Weds. (most weekenders are gone by then). Stay is 14 days, then an extention up to 30 days. Then you have to go ( to another regional), and you can return in 30 days and Do it all over again. So, hopping from Park to Park is a great "Formula". Most weekenders prefer the "reservations system", they don't adventure to Parks in fear Not to find a Spot. Then, if you are 65 or older they give you a great...great! discount. Also try OCALA National Forest..("Hopkins" for instance)..No reservations, First come first serve, $11.00 x day (same formula), 14days, extension to 30 days.....arrive Sunday "nites"..Mon./Tue. mornings. If you like Nature and Peace & quiet....this is it. (Plenty of close buy places to go buy your "needs")

Attachments

• 20220218_190923.jpg
    20220218_190923.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220218_184840.jpg
    20220218_184840.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220219_140902.jpg
    20220219_140902.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 7
I visited Grizzly Creek Redwoods state park this summer. The Humboldt County parks are nice; Carlotta has Van Duzen County Park, etc. California state parks in Humboldt County, Headwaters Forest Reserve, Somoa ("Located on the southern tip of Samoa, accross from Eureka, this park features a boat launch into Humboldt Bay and RV camping facilities"), Avenue of the Giants, Benbow, Clam Beach, Petrolia(??), Trinidad, etc.