Generator noise solutions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netter

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be starting out using my car and am considering buying a portable generator. Have any of you generator owners tried using some kind of box to muffle some of the noise it creates? I thought I saw a link or web page with one on it but cant remember where I saw it.

Thanks

the problem with a box is the air flow. you must have adequate air flow, you must also get the exhaust outside the box. we found that if you put a piece of plywood on the side of the generator that you don't want the noise to go works ok. however you still must watch air flow and exhaust. highdesertranger

How much noise a generator makes depends entirely on what generator you have and where it is placed.

My 2 Honda 1000s set on the ground make less noise run at half load than 1 Yamaha 2000 under no load when placed in the open back of a pick up. The one in the pick up reverberates off the sidewalls of the pick up and also vibrates a little causing more sound from that.

I always place the gennies on firm ground with the exhaust aimed away from any people who  may be disturbed by it. Seriously, most people can't hear them from 50 ft away. You don't want to do a sound recording when seated 10' away but other than that they are very non-offensive.

If you still want to try to muffle sound setting up a barrier is not a bad idea but make sure it's not touching the gennie or it will vibrate and cause a different sound problem.

The noise for you or others?

You really do not want to mess with the muffler as you will change the back pressure on the engine. This is not good. Two pieces of wood leaned together with the generator running the long way will direct the noise in the direction the muffler points and allow ventilation too. Just don't point it at your neighbors.

Building a box for it requires forethought into ventilation and cooling.

All generators make noise that can be heard from a distance, even a wind generator. Buying a certain type can help if the budget allows but even the most expensive still makes noise especially under a load. Luckily there are now quieter generators that do not cost a arm and a leg but they still can cost more than the same sized open frame that can be heard from a long distance and are ear splitting up close.

jimindenver said:
The noise for you or others?

Hi,

I was considering a 4000 watt dual fuel portable like the one that was on sale a while back. 

I want the noise to be as less as possible for not only myself but also mainly for any fellow campers in the general area.

Ya, air flow both ways is something I was thinking about, got to have that for sure. If I knew how to do dove tails I would cut them into pieces of wood to assemble and take apart for transportation. But I thought I saw somewhere where a foldable version of a box was available.

Thanks

I  just have to ask what you think you need a 4,000 watt generator for?

Most of us get away with 2000 watts or less! Even small air conditioning units can be run off of one.

Your post indicates that you are going to be using a car to start out with...where are you going to store a 4000 watt and are you strong enough to move it in and out of your vehicle.

Hi,

Oh wow! Just looked it up, 90 lb.s ! That's a heavy bugger huh? Hmmm.....

If you camp 'in the round', circling the wagons so-to-speak, or camp on the perimeter of a small group and put a smaller inverter type generator on the ground, on the far side of the vehicle, exhaust away from the group, they are surprisingly quiet, and go mostly un-noticed. 

Fifty feet away they are not offensive, unless you want absolute quiet thru the night hours, and you won't likely be running it then anyway. 

Open frame 'contractor' style generators are loud and can be heard 100-200 feet away or more.

jimindenver said:
You really do not want to mess with the muffler as you will change the back pressure on the engine . . .

I use a 3 chamber automotive muffler attached to the exhaust of my 2000W Sportsman generator.  Going from 3/8" ID to 2" ID exhaust creates negligible back pressure and almost eliminates the exhaust sound.  Unfortunately, it adds about 50% to the size of the generator package, which is a problem for any sound deadening devices: they tend to be big.

Something else I have done is make a tent over the generator with an old quilt, open at both ends, not touching.  It absorbs a lot of the mechanical vibrations from the generator, doesn't reflect the sound and still leaves generous airflow all around the device.  Also, resting it on soft ground or sound absorbing (not reflecting) material will reduce the noise further.

I think you need to share power requirements. What exactly do you need to power or recharge while living in a car? Perhaps there is a non generator solution to what you need.

Besides the noise, the generator is filled with gasoline and oil. Where would you store it in a car. My little Honda 1000 seems like it seals up tightly but who knows if gas vapors escape. What about the extra gas can you'll need? I store mine in the back of the truck. I wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping in my car with a gas can in the trunk.

My 2000i generator running on full will run my 6000W air conditioner. I can have a easy conversation within 5 feet of generator. But. It is a steady drone and is annoying if run for many hours. I would throw rocks at me if camping near.

Netter said:
Hi,

I will be starting out using my car and am considering buying a portable generator. Have any of you generator owners tried using some kind of box to muffle some of the noise it creates? I thought I saw a link or web page with one on it but cant remember where I saw it.

Thanks

If you used some glass packs, thrush pipes, chop and channel... you might get it to sound like an old school v-8, blame the noise on some yahoos running around in the desert

Here is a quiet box a fella built for a small Honda genny.  Is this the kinda box you saw?  Could probably make it lighter and bigger to fit larger generators.  

I really hate generators (for the noise). Those little ones like the Hondas are so quiet that I really have nothing to b!tch about even when the camp next to me is running one. I think it is the principle I hate, but those quiet gens when placed behind a vehicle or something are reasonably quiet from the factory.

Motrukdriver said:
Here is a quiet box a fella built for a small Honda genny.  Is this the kinda box you saw?  Could probably make it lighter and bigger to fit larger generators.  

Hi,

The ones I saw were from a manufacturer.