Gardening...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angeli said:
I can't imagine using a grow light system inside a small van space, unless it were very very tiny.  Unless the technology has changed considerably, the heat generated by specialized grow lights and the transformers is considerable, and then there is the electricity to consider. ..........

Actually the technology  for providing light for indoor growing has already changed, it changed about 10 years ago and ever since then the lights have kept getting more efficient. Grow systems are now using LED lights. Almost all commercial growers have switched to LED take advantage of the considerable savings for powering their operations.

You can  purchase 12v LED grow lights as tubes, panels and even traditional light bulb shapes holding the LED arrays. They are available from online sources and in some brick and mortar stores as well. They are not overly expensive to buy and there are quite a few websites selling them including Ebay and Amazon.

Just use the keywords  "12v LED grow light"  to find them. You will of course have to do a little extra research to find out what the exact power useage is going to be and how many lumens the unit produces, etc.

Let there be light :)

To the extent that you grow enough to eat, humidity can be a huge problem. You will need to go overboard on dehumidfying unless you are in an exceptionally dry area.

I was looking at how to take my succulents along with me. I've spent so much time acquiring them & just don't want to lose them or have to 'adopt' them out! Was thinking of specific places in my rig to put them while traveling - liked the idea of the storage areas.

Also, someone I know has a small herb uv light in their sticks and bricks; considering getting one for my rig after saving up for solar...

div><br></div><div>That's a great idea! Thank you! I was just thinking about doing that with flowers... it would be a blessing to the next people to get the spot as well. I would love to add herbs to that little plan. Maybe I could leave behind little weatherproof signs showing what herb is what. Hum... </div><div><br></div><div>I was also just thinking about something else. What if I reserve a little place in the storage underneath for my potted plants? I could get a Tupperware box to fit the area, attach lights on the underside of the lid, and when we are traveling, place my plants in there, making sure to attend to them every once and a while when we pit stop... and then when we get to our destination, set them out again... I could grow many herbs together in a few different pots... and maybe a few flowers for a woman's touch. **think, think, thinkin**</div>
Hello ladylrae - I am a gardener which is why I got land and am only a part timer snow bird type located in mountains SW near Colorado border. I grow all year round on a south facing porch. I was wondering where and what your up to now ? Just looking for other part timer or nomadic gardeners to engage with. Cheers ~