Garden in van/bus?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to grow a small garden in their bus/van/rv? If so, what have you found works best as far as watering and storage? I have been trying to find information on it and I haven't had much luck.

I've "gardened" by sprouting seeds for fresh "greens." A friend grows wheat grass in a fairly small, flat container.

I would think the big issue for a mobile lifestyle is space and weight. Containers of soil (especially watered) are going to add some weight which equals extra gas costs.

A tailhitch receiver garden platform would be pretty awesome.

Oh. That is one of my ideas too. A wheel-barrow type set up, but LOW to the ground. One or two feet wide by as long as you can fit. About six inches deep would grow,,,, lettuce, tomatoes, herbs, some beans. A bit deeper and we could do carrots, 'taters, onions. I'm picturing a small "hoop house" for bad weather. Any one been reading "Mother earth news"? Some GREAT ideas there for a "small" garden.

I've only attempted herbs, but they're doing quite well on the dash. I thought about trying an Aerogarden again, with small tomatoes and bell peppers, but not sure I where I'd put it when I downsize.

Garden on the road? Too much trouble. Not going to happen. The dog has his own portable lawn, tho.

After having him repeatedly throw up various vegetation and then having to pay the vet $250 to fish some pointy seeds out of his butt, where they had gotten caught on his intestinal wall and caused an infection, we bought some pet grass at the grocery store. We put it in a 6 x 18"deep planter, where it it thrives. It is never sprayed with poisons, never is allowed to go to seed, and is available any time he wants a salad.

I don't think growing a garden inside a van is a good idea. I don't think the 'Arizona Agriculture' stop when entering Arizona would appreciate it. It is easier to find a Farmers Market and buy produce. If I did have an inside garden I would grow green onions for the tops and fresh Coriander (Cilantro) since cook with both almost every day.

Rooftop greenhouse on cargo trailer behind motorhome...

Microgreens are pretty simple as long as you're not trying for anything really exotic. Lots of dense nutritional content and a LOT more flavor than sprouts. Safer, too.

I wish I had the article, but there is a couple who live in a housetruck who pull a small box trailer that is actually a greenhouse.

They're very health conscious folks, and grow ALOT of their food in the trailer. (organic I'm betting) They also have slender window boxes inside the truck where they grow herbs and salad grasses too.

I bet it smells nice inside their truck. :)