Fuse for phone charger

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
My 110 charger says input 100-240v 0.35 A
Output 5v 2.0A 
It has a usb cord on one end that plugs into a wall or a cigarette  plug and plugs into my phone on the other.
I have a 12v socket with 16 awg wire ran to my fuse block. What size fuse should i use there? Im going to use a male 12v plug that has 2 USB ports to plug my phone into the socket. I was thinking 2 amp but Im not sure if they exist so maybe 5 amp? I just need to protect the wire right?

5A would be fine.

Could you link to the charging gadget(s) you're talking about? Interested but hard to visualize from your description

The purpose of the fuse is to protect the wire.  The 16 AWG size wire is good for 10 to 15 amps depending on how many wires are bundled producing heat and the temperature rating of the insulation.  A 10 amp fuse would be good.  Some 12 volt cigarette lighter plug devices use up to 20 amps.  I would recommend 12 AWG wire for 20 amp use.

Trebor English said:
 Some 12 volt cigarette lighter plug devices use up to 20 amps.  I would recommend 12 AWG wire for 20 amp use.
In which case should not be used with a ciggie port connection.

Even their rated 10A is too high.

For something only rarely and briefly used, maybe, but watch it.

Even at lower currents the inherently poor design can mean intermittent, sparks, melting even fires.

Andersons really are the way to go for high amps.

For regularly used devices, Blue Sea has a nice socket design that twist-locks with the matching plug, but will also accept standard ciggie plugs for guests, temporary/smaller loads.

Also the BMW/ Hella/ Merit/ Powerlet "Euro-style DIN" (ISO 4165) style is very robust.

There are also ciggie plugs adapters for Anderson and ISO ports

John61CT said:
Even at lower currents the inherently poor design can mean intermittent, sparks, melting even fires.

The original question was in regard to installed AWG 16 wire and a 2 amp phone charger.  A ten amp fuse will charge the phone and protect the wire.  

Anderson, Blue Sea, BMW, and Euro-style DIN  connectors were not part of the original question.  Those solutions make it so that the phone charging becomes no, not today.  

The only actual problem with a ten amp fused cigarette lighter socket is that there are devices that have a plugs that fit and look like they should work but blow the fuse.  That might lead to the inappropriate installation of a 20 amp fuse and overheated wires hence the warning.

To keep it simple and easy: use a 5 amp automotive fuse. Read the explanation below:

A fuse is not always sized to protect the wiring. In your case it should be sized to protect both wiring and the plug. If the female "sig. lighter" socket is rated for 5 Amps and based on your load requirement, a 5 amp. fuse will be sufficient. A 10 amp will be too large if the socket is rated for 5 amps only. Install the fuse on the positive side, as close to the source (battery) as physically possible.
I would advise to use a fuse holder and a 5A automotive fuse sold in all automotive stores. I like the holders with a rubber cover that cost about $3-$4. These are reliable.

Yes, I had already answered the OP very simply, a 5A fuse would be fine for that scenario.

the more recent post was just a warning based on this
Trebor English said:
 Some 12 volt cigarette lighter plug devices use up to 20 amps.  I would recommend 12 AWG wire for 20 amp use.
in case anyone (not just the OP) inferred from that, that it might be safe to run that much current through a stock ciggie type connection.

It is not.

ScoutMy 110 charger says input 100-240v 0.35 A
Output 5v 2.0A 
It has a usb cord on one end that plugs into a wall or a cigarette  plug and plugs into my phone on the other.
I have a 12v socket with 16 awg wire ran to my fuse block. What size fuse should i use there? Im going to use a male 12v plug that has 2 USB ports to plug my phone into the socket. I was thinking 2 amp but Im not sure if they exist so maybe 5 amp? I just need to protect the wire right?

Yes 5A as others have said

You can safely use up to 15 feet of 16AWG wire with minimal voltage drop with 5 amps. 5 Amps happens to be the max power for many of the really cheap style 12v sockets without them melting, the high quality ones can go up to 15A typically.

5A 12V CB  A 5A 12V circuit breaker on Amazon for $7.50, that way it is easy to reset rather than replace a fuse if someone plugs a high draw item in

John61CT said:
5A would be fine.

Could you link to the charging gadget(s) you're talking about? Interested but hard to visualize from your description

Here it is. Just a phone charger used on the dash but the usb plugs into a 110 adapter also.

Attachments

• 20180516_203052.jpg
    20180516_203052.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 5